Much angst about Ablett on crutches
- Updated: April 25, 2007
With the short week due to Anzac Day the AFL injury news will necessarily be of a more speculative nature, but let’s get it out anyway. A rumour aired on radio 3AW during the week that Gary Ablett jnr‘s leg injury in Round 4, which looked bad on first glance, was indeed bad enough that he was seen on crutches after the game in the rooms. Ablett managed to play out the game and is listed on the official injury sheet as “test” for his calf. Elsewhere:
• Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade, who raised fantasy coaches’ ire last week by saying Daniel Cross would play last week, has said it again this week, though there is a test listed for him also for what the Bulldogs have admitted is a groin injury. Whispers have been heard about the dreaded osteitis pubis, and even if it’s not that particular curse, a groin injury is nevertheless a serious problem for a running midfielder. Rocket also indicated that Jason Akermanis would return, but even if you did believe him, Aker is not a viable trade target this week. Sam Power, who had been looming as a mid-tier bolter in the backs, may not miss a game. It’s all ifs and maybes this week at the Western Oval.
• Nathan G. Brown will miss another week, and an Internet rumour strongly doing the rounds is that he’ll retire on Thursday’s Footy Show. In other Tiger news, Kane Johnson has been playing with a broken hand. Neither player should be touching your fantasy team this year.
• Both Scott Burns and Dale Thomas are in doubt for today’s Anzac Day game with knee and ankle injuries respectively. While you’d expect both to play, this takes the pressure off the three Magpie rookies Toovey, Dick and Cox for late selection changes.
• Lindsay Thomas, a staple of countless fantasy benches, is battling a bruised chest and/or lung. Leave him on your bench if at all possible, he is no chance to play.
• And finally, if Leigh Matthews has no bloody idea what the hell is wrong with Nigel Lappin, how is anyone else supposed to have any confidence that he’ll play any time soon? I got rid of him in both DT and SC last week and I’m very happy with that decision. I suggest you do the same.