SORT IT OUT OFF FIELD (Adelaide's 17/18 Off Season Mega Thread)

Started by tbagrocks, October 06, 2017, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

tbagrocks

Quote from: Ricochet on October 19, 2017, 11:30:57 PM
Gibbs is elite Trinda, and all class. Adelaide won't regret bringing him in, especially when it can help take the attention away from Sloane. He's durable and an elite ball user. Even as he ages they can shift him to halfback and he'll be super effective there.

Adelaide still have 2 first rounders next year so giving up the 2 this year wouldn't hurt their age profile either (even before the CCameron trade).

Definitely worth it imo
Really with the three stars we had in there, Sloane and Crouch Bros', Gibbsy adds huge versatility to what was fairly one dimensional. I'm pretty happy also to have CARLton's second pick hopefully 19-22 next year :P 
      So we'll have picks 14, 18 and 20 :P  But that will hardly be enough to nab those elite SA boys next year. I think Adelaide still hopes it can force their way into that top 10 or even top 5 in 2018

Gibbsy can for sure help fill the void when needed at H/B without Smithy, hopefully Seedsman, Cheney, Kelly and Doedee can step up and keep Gibbs forward of centre more often than not!

I'm pretty excited also about what Gallucci can bring, he did look funny in that G/F sprint, so small :P  but with another pre-season for Milera and Jordan Gallucci I am hoping both can step in and cover for Charlie!

Also really looking forward to seeing J Edwards develop and I think he could almost play early in 2018, just his skinny frame might hold him back but a lot can happen to an 18yr old in 6 months with elite training! I am still miffed at Jackson not being touted as a top 20 draft pick :o  He almost looks like his old man and just as classy IMO, surely someone with those type of skills goes early? ???  Strange to me, but good for us 8)

Trindacut

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/taylor-walker-denies-double-standards-says-lever-and-gibbs-different-stories/news-story/01cb780a5701a16d05d9edbf92fd5bfb

Whatever helps you sleep at night Tex. Preaches loyalty, but when Gibbs comes over it's okay because he's not chasing money, he's chasing success. He should have backed away from his Lever spray, not doubled down saying Gibbs was justified.

Gibbs, and even Dangerfield for that matter, cited family reasons for leaving. Lever did too, and he's from Melbourne so obviously he has family there. Lever got paid well to leave and suddenly Tex gets on his high horse.

Tippett, Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron. I'm not saying there is a problem at Adelaide, but there needs to be some effort to identify the cause of this and work on it over the next twelve months so Sloane doesn't leave.

TomK

Quote from: Trindacut on October 22, 2017, 09:41:32 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/taylor-walker-denies-double-standards-says-lever-and-gibbs-different-stories/news-story/01cb780a5701a16d05d9edbf92fd5bfb

Whatever helps you sleep at night Tex. Preaches loyalty, but when Gibbs comes over it's okay because he's not chasing money, he's chasing success. He should have backed away from his Lever spray, not doubled down saying Gibbs was justified.

Gibbs, and even Dangerfield for that matter, cited family reasons for leaving. Lever did too, and he's from Melbourne so obviously he has family there. Lever got paid well to leave and suddenly Tex gets on his high horse.

Tippett, Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron. I'm not saying there is a problem at Adelaide, but there needs to be some effort to identify the cause of this and work on it over the next twelve months so Sloane doesn't leave.
And does you constantly talking shower about the Crows make you sleep any better at night? Do you ever stop? Are you obsessed with us or something? Why do you care so much? lmao

If there was such a massive problem why did Sloane sign in 2015 when Danger left?

Well the reasons we lost two (Danger and Cameron) of those players are because we aren't, not sure if you noticed, located in Victoria or Queensland.

Lever was a combination of the two, while Tippett was money, you can't deny that one.

Tex took pay cuts to keep this team together and have the best chance to win a flag, I think he has every right to be annoyed if someone left.

Don't you think it's a bit different also a 29 year old coming home for the final 4-6 years of his career compared to a 21 year old leaving after only 3 seasons?

PowerBug

Quote from: TomK on October 22, 2017, 11:13:26 AM
If there was such a massive problem why did Sloane sign in 2015 when Danger left?
Because he was playing the long con and knows it'll be funnier when he leaves after 2018 ;D

shaker

Would I be right in saying that the Crows don't pay players huge individual contracts ala Dusty at the Tiges or Buddy or so on and that the pot is more evenly payed to players to a certain point ( I know young guys would not be included ) ? because if that is the case surely they know Sloane is going to be offered million dollar contracts next year to move home , do you think they will change and match those offers ? how do you think it will unfold ?

TomK

Quote from: shaker on October 22, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
Would I be right in saying that the Crows don't pay players huge individual contracts ala Dusty at the Tiges or Buddy or so on and that the pot is more evenly payed to players to a certain point ( I know young guys would not be included ) ? because if that is the case surely they know Sloane is going to be offered million dollar contracts next year to move home , do you think they will change and match those offers ? how do you think it will unfold ?
Yeah pretty much, similar system to Hawthorn in their 3-peat years, it's the main reason we didn't give Jake the money he was offered at Melbourne, I've read our offer was around the money we gave Gibbs (600kish).

Yeah I'm sure they're pretty aware of that and it depends what Sloane wants, it's not like our offer would be so much lower than the Vic sides, I'd expect something around the 850k mark. I think we'll be looking to get him signed up before the season starts.

shaker

Quote from: TomK on October 22, 2017, 01:30:12 PM
Yeah pretty much, similar system to Hawthorn in their 3-peat years, it's the main reason we didn't give Jake the money he was offered at Melbourne, I've read our offer was around the money we gave Gibbs (600kish).

Yeah I'm sure they're pretty aware of that and it depends what Sloane wants, it's not like our offer would be so much lower than the Vic sides, I'd expect something around the 850k mark. I think we'll be looking to get him signed up before the season starts.
Yeah they might have to change a bit for Sloane I think he is your most important player and you can't afford to lose him very similar to Dusty who remained loyal and knocked back more $$ but still cost us heaps but worth every cent  ;)

Trindacut

Quote from: TomK on October 22, 2017, 01:30:12 PM

I predict that contract talks will be held off until the end of the year. Not necessarily a sign he'll leave, but we saw it work for Dusty this year, and Kelly. These big names can afford to make the club sweat on it, it'll be worth millions to them to do it.

I'd be extremely surprised if Tex manages to not put his foot in it throughout the year. He can't help himself, given that he is the supreme judge of acceptable and unacceptable reasons to trade to another club.

shaker

You nailed that Trinda although it was odds on to happen Crows might have to change there pay structures about not paying individuals very big salaries because that article was as good as sending Emails to clubs saying ok what you offering

Ricochet

It'll be another Fyfe, Dusty, Kelly situation. It'll drag on all year next year and then he'll re-sign

Grazz

You would be 110% correct mate, it's an issue for us no denying it. It's an admirable stance to take but when you'll have quite a few clubs circling with big wads of cash ready to hand it over to Sloane for a signature we're going to have to think long and hard about wether this is actually working in the best interest for the club long term let alone the short term while in that window.
For me I can only see it going one way, we are going to have to write a decent sized cheque to keep him, will we have to match the best offer from another club I don't know. A lot of that depends on Rory and how happy he is to continue playing in SA away from family but it will have to be pretty close i'm thinking.

shaker

Quote from: Grazz on November 02, 2017, 10:12:32 PM

You would be 110% correct mate, it's an issue for us no denying it. It's an admirable stance to take but when you'll have quite a few clubs circling with big wads of cash ready to hand it over to Sloane for a signature we're going to have to think long and hard about wether this is actually working in the best interest for the club long term let alone the short term while in that window.
For me I can only see it going one way, we are going to have to write a decent sized cheque to keep him, will we have to match the best offer from another club I don't know. A lot of that depends on Rory and how happy he is to continue playing in SA away from family but it will have to be pretty close i'm thinking.
Yes mate he will stay if you pay  :P

Grazz

Quote from: shaker on November 02, 2017, 10:55:21 PM
Quote from: Grazz on November 02, 2017, 10:12:32 PM

Yes mate he will stay if you pay  :P

C'mon don't spoil the dream for me mate.  :P