SORT IT OUT OFF FIELD (Adelaide's 17/18 Off Season Mega Thread)

Started by tbagrocks, October 06, 2017, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

The Girls Won their GF but the Boys lost theirs against the Tigs! So now what?

Jake Leaver wants to go to Melbourne for a stack of cash, Charlie Cameron wants to go to Lions probably because he's shy and doesn't like the spotlight here. Scotty Thompson has retired

Should Cameron and Leaver go, Adelaide will gain at least two top 20 draft picks and be left with three picks between 10 and 20 in the AND.

Will Adelaide then try and poach contracted players Bryce Gibbs and/or Aaron Francis with these new high draft picks at their disposal, or try get Sam Mayes from the Lions? Should they offer Steve Motlop a contract?

Also. Are the talented untried Tom Doedee, Harry Dear, Harrison Wigg and Reilly O'Brien happy to wait for opportunities much longer?

What of Kyle Cheney, ANdy Otten, Dave Mackay, Curly Hampton, Paul Seedsman, Troy Menzel, Dean Gore, Alex Keith? A few of these can play top level footy but, is this group happy to be role players not necessarily in the best 22?

Does the Texan hand the Captaincy to Sloan? :o

lachie_001

If Gibbs is keen to come back and Carlton are reasonable with their demands I'd deal. Personally I think pick 10 alone would be fair value to get that done.

Lever for pick 10 and 27 will be close to where it finishes, although I could see Crows holding firm and maybe exchanging some picks where they upgrade up the ladder.

Cameron is interesting, I think Brisbane will offer pick 18, but I would hold Charlie to his contract until next year unless they offer up pick 12. Charlie can still play an important role in 2018 and I doubt he will lose much value by the end of next year. On the flip side, if we get Motlop, I'd let Charlie go for pick 18 in order to free up salary space.

Francis isn't a priority for me, I think Doedee will step up next year and from all accounts has been very impressive in the SANFL. The club had big wraps on him and I think he could become a regular in our best 22. So since Francis and Doedee are quite similar, it might be worth holding onto some of our draft picks and look at bringing in a key position forward.

The one giving me the most sleepless nights is Sloane as a free agent for next year. If Justin Reid flowers this up, I don't think I will ever be able to forgive the club, it would destroy the club and I imagine many members will tear up their memberships. Speaking of Reid, he's on thin ice, botched the Lever deal at the start of the year, paid way overs to Jenkins and McGovern, essentially traded Dangerfield for only pick 9, he has got a lot of redeeming to do.  >:(

shaker

Don't know about the rest but making Sloane Captain would be a smart move you can't afford to lose him then sign him up , you know that many teams are going to come for him next year and offer him big bucks ..... watch this space

Menzel Washington

Quote from: lachie_001 on October 07, 2017, 12:54:01 AM
essentially traded Dangerfield for only pick 9, he has got a lot of redeeming to do.  >:(
Considering he was a free agent they did well to get something better than the compo pick they would have received if Geelong weren't nice and agreed to trade rather than just offer a contract to...

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 07, 2017, 09:37:38 AM
essentially traded Dangerfield for only pick 9, he has got a lot of redeeming to do.  >:(
Considering he was a free agent they did well to get something better than the compo pick they would have received if Geelong weren't nice and agreed to trade rather than just offer a contract to...

They had to trade as crows matched the offer

Menzel Washington

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on October 07, 2017, 10:33:13 AM

Nah Crows said they would match the offer if they did it, but Geelong never actually offered him anything for the Crows to match before the trade was made.
Plus if Crows did match the offer Danger wouldn't have accepted, walked out of the club and gone into the draft.

PowerBug

There goes the talk of Menzel and Gore turning good. Both been cut.

TomK

Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 07, 2017, 12:20:52 PM

Nah Crows said they would match the offer if they did it, but Geelong never actually offered him anything for the Crows to match before the trade was made.
Plus if Crows did match the offer Danger wouldn't have accepted, walked out of the club and gone into the draft.
Yeah Danger wouldn't have accepted, but it still would have gone to a trade, he would've only gone to the draft if a trade couldn't be done.

TomK

Tex has been voted the BEST captain in the AFL for two years straight, and people think we should take it away from him?

Of course he was awful on Grand Final day, and we should expect better, but this is way too reactionary.

Sloane is most definitely captain material but if the captaincy is the only thing that would make him stay, I don't want him, that's not team first.

Peter

What do you guys think of Harrison Wigg - been on the list for a while, but can't get a game?

Dave085

I dont want to dwell on the Lever situation too much but I want to know what the hell is going on behind closed doors. I feel a lot of the trash talk is coming from his side of the fence and Kane Cornes is not helping matters with his BS reporting.

I very disappointed with how things are playing out in the media and if something has happened for our club to act this way the public almost HAS to know about it so we can regain some of the respect we had from non supporters.

Other than that, I love watching Charlie play. When he tucks that ball under his arm you know he is away. How good is it!? So if hes gone, we need something to replace that. No one in the team has that X factor and we need that to get a clean inside 50 or opportune shot at goal.

Menzel Washington

Quote from: TomK on October 07, 2017, 03:27:43 PM
Quote from: Menzel Washington on October 07, 2017, 12:20:52 PM

Yeah Danger wouldn't have accepted, but it still would have gone to a trade, he would've only gone to the draft if a trade couldn't be done.
Yeah I know, which is why I was saying they did well to get pick 9 for him, when in reality could have very easily lost him for nothing.

tbagrocks

I Swear I thought the No. 23 running and snapping on his lest last week was Andrew McLeod :o  But no it was Charlie

Im ok with Charlie going if we receive a top draft pick, rookie drafted player traded for a top 20 pick? Good business. What the frog is wrong with Troy Menzel? All the talent in the world as a teenager ::)

Wiggy looks like he can play, hopefully Pike can start giving opportunities to players like Wigg, Doedee, Dear, O'Brien and Gallucci. I don't want to see Harrison Wigg put in a trade request because of lack of opportunities! God knows it's hard enough to keep spoilt Victorians, we don't want to start pushing talented locals interstate ::)

Ricochet

Sounds like Motlop could be the one that replaces Charlie

Dudge

Not stirring $hit, and i realise people on Fanfooty are 10 times more footy knowledgeable than people on Bigfooty, but why in mid to late September, when Port were going to get Motlop, it was a stupid trade to do. Now, all of a sudden the Crows are after him, he's a great replacement for CC ?