SORT IT OUT OFF FIELD (Adelaide's 17/18 Off Season Mega Thread)

Started by tbagrocks, October 06, 2017, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomK

Quote from: Trindacut on October 19, 2017, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: TomK on October 19, 2017, 07:37:38 PM
Stoked with every move we made, got very good deals for two players who wanted to leave, I'm very comfortable with the deal for Gibbs, Gibson will be very good depth, and our position for next year's draft is very strong now which is great with a lot of highly rated SA boys.

12, 39, and 77 for this year's draft, hopefully we can pick up Fogarty with 12, 39 potentially used on Jackson Edwards and 77 probably used to upgrade Greenwood. Keath probably upgraded before the season when we place Brodie on the LTI list as well.

Senior list changes:

In: Gibbs, Gibson, Pick 12, Pick 39, Pick 77 (Greenwood)

Out: Thommo, Lever, Wigg, Cameron, Menzel, Gore

That leaves us with 38 (I think) on the senior list, which is the minimum (I think).

This is what I'm thinking our 22 is atm:

Brown, Talia, Doedee
Laird, Hartigan, Kelly
Atkins, Sloane, BCrouch
Gallucci, Walker, Lynch
Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
Jacobs, MCrouch, Gibbs
Douglas, Greenwood, 2 of Knight/Hampton/Seedsman/Milera

I'm very comfortable with Doedee and Gallucci replacing Lever and Cameron; I think where we'll hurt the most is the loss of Brodie cause this team still looks a little slow.

Any time you said you were comfortable with something, I would replace it was "That was pretty shower."

Gibbs is a 29 year old with inconsistencies out the wazoo. Half an effort tagging him and he's out of the game, and again at 29 he isn't going to be in the improve. 10 + 16 for him is a dead set heist by Carlton.

12 for Cameron is a heist by the crows though. He's maybe had four good games in his career. Better make it work before Sloane says he wants to "hold off on talks until the end of the year."

Gibson a good pickup for nothing too. At the very least he slots in for Smith while he's out next year and hopefully plays his role.

I give it a D+,  maybe a C if Gibbs manages a second good year in 2019.
Hahahahahahahahaha, give it a rest mate.

I don't recall the deal being just 10 + 16?

Pick 10 = Gibbs

We get Carlton's 2nd rounder next year which could be anywhere from 19 - 25, so it's basically a 3-9 pick downgrade from pick 16 this year, but it comes in a draft with more SA talent and is considered deeper.

We give them our 2nd rounder next year but we get their 3rd back. So let's be conservative and say we finish 4th which would mean our pick is 33 and their 3rd would be between 37 - 43, so it's really not that big of a downgrade.

The pick 73 and pick 77 swap is pretty irrelevant.

So it's basically Pick 10 and two small pick downgrades, one of which strengthens our position in a better draft, for a contracted Bryce Gibbs who is one the most durable players in the comp with the 3rd most H&A games since his debut, I reckon he has 4 to 6, at most, good years left.

Both Sloane and Gibbs though, teams can't tag both.

Nice try on the Sloane comment though ;D ::)

Jay

Load up on Sloane for the Brownlow if you reckon Gibbs will get tagged, Trinda!

Also don't shower on the Gibbs deal when it seems like you didn't even bother to look at the trade in its entirety. Carlton's 2nd rounder next year will likely be worth more to us than 16 especially considering all the SA talent in next year's draft. Gibbs for 10? flower yeah.

Ricochet

Gibbs is elite Trinda, and all class. Adelaide won't regret bringing him in, especially when it can help take the attention away from Sloane. He's durable and an elite ball user. Even as he ages they can shift him to halfback and he'll be super effective there.

Adelaide still have 2 first rounders next year so giving up the 2 this year wouldn't hurt their age profile either (even before the CCameron trade).

Definitely worth it imo

Trindacut

Quote from: TomK on October 19, 2017, 10:14:03 PM
Quote from: Trindacut on October 19, 2017, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: TomK on October 19, 2017, 07:37:38 PM
Stoked with every move we made, got very good deals for two players who wanted to leave, I'm very comfortable with the deal for Gibbs, Gibson will be very good depth, and our position for next year's draft is very strong now which is great with a lot of highly rated SA boys.

12, 39, and 77 for this year's draft, hopefully we can pick up Fogarty with 12, 39 potentially used on Jackson Edwards and 77 probably used to upgrade Greenwood. Keath probably upgraded before the season when we place Brodie on the LTI list as well.

Senior list changes:

In: Gibbs, Gibson, Pick 12, Pick 39, Pick 77 (Greenwood)

Out: Thommo, Lever, Wigg, Cameron, Menzel, Gore

That leaves us with 38 (I think) on the senior list, which is the minimum (I think).

This is what I'm thinking our 22 is atm:

Brown, Talia, Doedee
Laird, Hartigan, Kelly
Atkins, Sloane, BCrouch
Gallucci, Walker, Lynch
Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
Jacobs, MCrouch, Gibbs
Douglas, Greenwood, 2 of Knight/Hampton/Seedsman/Milera

I'm very comfortable with Doedee and Gallucci replacing Lever and Cameron; I think where we'll hurt the most is the loss of Brodie cause this team still looks a little slow.

Any time you said you were comfortable with something, I would replace it was "That was pretty shower."

Gibbs is a 29 year old with inconsistencies out the wazoo. Half an effort tagging him and he's out of the game, and again at 29 he isn't going to be in the improve. 10 + 16 for him is a dead set heist by Carlton.

12 for Cameron is a heist by the crows though. He's maybe had four good games in his career. Better make it work before Sloane says he wants to "hold off on talks until the end of the year."

Gibson a good pickup for nothing too. At the very least he slots in for Smith while he's out next year and hopefully plays his role.

I give it a D+,  maybe a C if Gibbs manages a second good year in 2019.
Hahahahahahahahaha, give it a rest mate.

I don't recall the deal being just 10 + 16?

Pick 10 = Gibbs

We get Carlton's 2nd rounder next year which could be anywhere from 19 - 25, so it's basically a 3-9 pick downgrade from pick 16 this year, but it comes in a draft with more SA talent and is considered deeper.

We give them our 2nd rounder next year but we get their 3rd back. So let's be conservative and say we finish 4th which would mean our pick is 33 and their 3rd would be between 37 - 43, so it's really not that big of a downgrade.

The pick 73 and pick 77 swap is pretty irrelevant.

So it's basically Pick 10 and two small pick downgrades, one of which strengthens our position in a better draft, for a contracted Bryce Gibbs who is one the most durable players in the comp with the 3rd most H&A games since his debut, I reckon he has 4 to 6, at most, good years left.

Both Sloane and Gibbs though, teams can't tag both.

Nice try on the Sloane comment though ;D ::)

Thats some nice spin, you should work for Collingwood. Keep it civil too mate, I havent been pointing the finger at you calling you names

Dropping place out of the first round is a big deal, I wouldn’t be happy if it was my club but there were a few much worse trades out there. This might not end up being a bad trade, but there’s a ahit load of risk on account of the fact you will only get a couple of good years out of Gibbs. Want to hope he doesn’t pull a hammy.

At least they didn’t do a Collingwood. What a flower up there.

LF

Debate all you want,keep it civil,do not resort to personal attacks or name calling or the thread will be locked until we feel like unlocking it and warnings etc will be issued to those involved

TomK

Quote from: Trindacut on October 20, 2017, 12:43:42 AM
Thats some nice spin, you should work for Collingwood. Keep it civil too mate, I havent been pointing the finger at you calling you names

Dropping place out of the first round is a big deal, I wouldn’t be happy if it was my club but there were a few much worse trades out there. This might not end up being a bad trade, but there’s a ahit load of risk on account of the fact you will only get a couple of good years out of Gibbs. Want to hope he doesn’t pull a hammy.

;D

Hahahaha what spin exactly? My examples were all in likely scenarios? ??? Why don't you try and explain it then and not just go on about 10 + 16 in isolation?

So if a team dropped from pick 18 to pick 19 through a trade, would that be unacceptable to you? Since it would be 'dropping out of the first round'? There is little to no difference between 16 this year and an early 2nd next year; the only people that think so are the small minded ones who only look at it as a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder and that's it. Plus, we didn't drop out the first round, we have pick 12 ::)

Yeah, we'll be getting more than a couple good years from Gibbs, thanks for your concern though.

PowerBug

Why would a team in the premiership window pick 2017 draft picks over a proven star?

Trindacut

Quote from: TomK on October 20, 2017, 01:03:50 AM

;D

Hahahaha what spin exactly? My examples were all in likely scenarios? ??? Why don't you try and explain it then and not just go on about 10 + 16 in isolation?

So if a team dropped from pick 18 to pick 19 through a trade, would that be unacceptable to you? Since it would be 'dropping out of the first round'? There is little to no difference between 16 this year and an early 2nd next year; the only people that think so are the small minded ones who only look at it as a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder and that's it. Plus, we didn't drop out the first round, we have pick 12 ::)

Yeah, we'll be getting more than a couple good years from Gibbs, thanks for your concern though.

In your scenario for second round it is more likely to be 25-30 owing to compensation picks and the possibility of Carlton going up a few spots on the ladder. It's possible, not probable. Your third round pick is more likely to be around the 45 mark, and definitely not in the 30's.

In any which case, the loss of pick 10 and about 20 spots in the draft over 3 picks pretty unreal for a 29 year old midfielder. It can work, but jeez it's risky. It kind of reminds me of a poker player going full tilt. Guess we'll have to see in twelve months.

Hope Crows had Gibbs do a medical.

RaisyDaisy

Not sure why you're questioning Gibbs durability and output

Only Nathan Jones and former team mate Kade Simpson have played more H&A games than Gibbs since his debut year in 2007

Rusty00

Quote from: Trindacut on October 20, 2017, 09:59:39 AM

;D

In your scenario for second round it is more likely to be 25-30 owing to compensation picks and the possibility of Carlton going up a few spots on the ladder. It's possible, not probable. Your third round pick is more likely to be around the 45 mark, and definitely not in the 30's.

In any which case, the loss of pick 10 and about 20 spots in the draft over 3 picks pretty unreal for a 29 year old midfielder. It can work, but jeez it's risky. It kind of reminds me of a poker player going full tilt. Guess we'll have to see in twelve months.

If they win a premiership whilst Gibbs is still at the club then I'm not sure the club or any Crows fans will care as to whether they were perceived to lose this deal in isolation. I certainly wouldn't if I was a Crows supporter.

It's better to be overpaying for Gibbs who increases your chances of a premiership, than for Lachie Weller or Charlie Cameron when you're a bottom 2 club :P

shaker

With Lever gone and Smith out of action your backline looks a lot weaker maybe Gibbs will be needed to sure it up ?

Gigantor

TomK

Quote from: shaker on October 20, 2017, 01:11:41 PM
With Lever gone and Smith out of action your backline looks a lot weaker maybe Gibbs will be needed to sure it up ?
Tommy Doedee should be the one to replace Lever, lose a little bit of height but the intercepting is still there; I believe Tom was the number 1 in the SANFL for intercept possessions this year but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Gibbs will definitely be rotating off the half back line with Smith out, but he'll mainly be a mid of course. Other guys like Sloane/Douglas/Atkins will rotate there more too I reckon, while also giving guys like Hampton/Seedsman/Milera more opportunity to cement their spots in the team.

TomK

Quote from: Trindacut on October 20, 2017, 09:59:39 AM

;D

25 would be around the maximum, there's not a chance it goes all the way out to 30 hahahaha, I like Carlton and what they're doing but they still need a little time I reckon, the only teams I can see them finishing above next year are the Suns, Kangas, and Lions; so pick 22 if that happens, and there's only been two first round compensation picks given over the past three years (both this year), let's say that happens again and it's goes out to pick 24, I'm fine with that downgrade in a better draft with more SA talent, which is a point you seem to be ignoring. I'd like to hear a Carlton supporter's view on how they'll go next year though.

Sure, Carlton's 3rd may go out to 45 but then wouldn't our 2nd be pushed back a bit as well then? Also, let's not act like the quality of player in the late 2nd/early 3rd round will be that big either, it's not like we're going from pick 1 to 10.

We have pick 12 and an early 3rd this year, next year we have two firsts (both most likely in the 10-18 range), an early 2nd, and an early 3rd so it's not like we're killing our youth. Where our list profile is at, the risk was most definitely worth taking.

GoLions

But most importantly, it got you the #missingpiece to the #premiershippuzzle