West Coast 2015/2016 Offseason Thread

Started by LF, October 04, 2015, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

2nd rounder was probably expected for Scooter.

Redden for N17 looks done as well

Redden + 2nd rounder for Scooter + 1st rounder

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: LF on October 12, 2015, 06:44:31 PM
AFL ‏@AFL  9m9 minutes ago
The League also advised WC that based on his age & Geelong's contract offer the club will receive a round 2 compensation pick (curr pick 37)

Personally thought late 20's would have been fair, but oh well

LF

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 12, 2015, 07:02:09 PM
Quote from: LF on October 12, 2015, 06:44:31 PM
AFL ‏@AFL  9m9 minutes ago
The League also advised WC that based on his age & Geelong's contract offer the club will receive a round 2 compensation pick (curr pick 37)

Personally thought late 20's would have been fair, but oh well

Will now be interesting to see what Lions get for Berger now

LF

elephants

Nisbett ain't happy about the Scooter compo

LF

T Dog

Quote from: LF on October 12, 2015, 08:25:26 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 12, 2015, 08:24:24 PM
Nisbett ain't happy about the Scooter compo

Yeah I just saw that  :-X

His choices aren't great..can't come out and say the compo pick works well   :)

RaisyDaisy

Hard to agree fully with Nisbett when Hawthorn got nothing for Ellis and 19 for Buddy

Like I said, I would have thought late 20's was fair, but Nisbett being inside the club obviously knows more about Scooter and everything they've done over the past 8 years so his valuation is probably higher than what it is externally

elephants

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 12, 2015, 08:58:47 PM
Hard to agree fully with Nisbett when Hawthorn got nothing for Ellis and 19 for Buddy

Like I said, I would have thought late 20's was fair, but Nisbett being inside the club obviously knows more about Scooter and everything they've done over the past 8 years so his valuation is probably higher than what it is externally

Yeah its tough, Frawley netted pick 3 though :p

I am fine with it though, gotta just move on. Even if we gave 35 and 37 for Jetta and Anderson I'd be pretty fine with that.

Gigantor

So with Redden and Jetta locked in what does the best 22 now look like?
I had a bit of a stab, with a few tricky spots to fill

Sheppard MacKenzie Schofield/Brown
Hurn McGovern Wellingham
Gaff Shuey Jetta
NicNat Priddis Redden
Yeo Darling Sheed
LeCras Kennedy Cripps

Lycett Duggan ? ?

Not sure about Schofield and Brown, it could come down to the opp on the day or even play them both and swing Gov forward
Duggan made the cut because I think he has massive potential, the last two spots are tough, right now it would be from Hutching, Masten, Rosa, Ellis, Butler, Hill but I also think all the young blokes need to be considered too

Cavka, Colledge, Lamb, Nelson, Barrass

LF

Rosa and Colledge both want to be traded so I don't expect them there next season and in any case I think Jetta was always going to push Rosa out of the team.
Hutch would be stiff to miss out you'd probably have him on the bench
Butler is out unless we cop an injury and back comes Ezy and we just shuffle the other boys around Schoey and Brown battling for that other spot

Gov will start on the bench or down fwd imo as he will go back to his swingman role.

eg6914

If id have to make a team right now (barring injuries of course) itd look like:

Sheppard  MacKenzie Butler
Hurn  Schofield  Wellingham
Jetta  Shuey  Gaff
NicNat  Priddis  Redden
Lecras  McGovern  Yeo
Cripps  Kennedy  Darling
INT: Duggan  Sheed  Hill  Lycett

EMG: Masten  Hutchings  Nelson
Hutchings very stiff but we cant have Pridda, Redden and Hutchings

j959

Quote from: elephants on October 12, 2015, 09:08:32 PM

I am fine with it though, gotta just move on. Even if we gave 35 and 37 for Jetta and Anderson I'd be pretty fine with that.
yeh, the system is pretty flawed when you get such wild swings and inconsistency and everyone (teams, players, managers, public) is confused the flower out of how different situations got differing picks ...

I think the issue with Scooter is that he was left out of GF team, suffered/struggled with injuries last few seasons - saw that the compo was supposedly predominantly based on the contract size, so be interested to hear what Cats paid - maybe Scooter took a big pay cut to join his bro??

looks like the formula takes those sorts of things into account as well, which again as outlined above would be wrong unless there was a properly transparent formula - I think that's more what Nisbett was lashing out at than the actual figure ...

Ringo

Quote from: j959 on October 16, 2015, 06:51:24 PM

yeh, the system is pretty flawed when you get such wild swings and inconsistency and everyone (teams, players, managers, public) is confused the flower out of how different situations got differing picks ...

I think the issue with Scooter is that he was left out of GF team, suffered/struggled with injuries last few seasons - saw that the compo was supposedly predominantly based on the contract size, so be interested to hear what Cats paid - maybe Scooter took a big pay cut to join his bro??

looks like the formula takes those sorts of things into account as well, which again as outlined above would be wrong unless there was a properly transparent formula - I think that's more what Nisbett was lashing out at than the actual figure ...
Think after the Frawley compo pick last year with the precedent it set clubs this year expected higher picks that what are being offered. Seems to me there is noo reasoning at all applied to the compo picks so maybe they should be scrapped,

frenzy

Quote from: Ringo on October 16, 2015, 07:09:41 PM
Quote from: j959 on October 16, 2015, 06:51:24 PM

Think after the Frawley compo pick last year with the precedent it set clubs this year expected higher picks that what are being offered. Seems to me there is noo reasoning at all applied to the compo picks so maybe they should be scrapped,

there was a formula on the AFL webby to calculate compo, didn't seem that difficult to use. Was scooter in WC's best twenty two? I don't think so, probably got compo pick about spot on I think.