West Coast 2015/2016 Offseason Thread

Started by LF, October 04, 2015, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

We had a great season making it to the GF despite all the naysayers,shame we couldn't do better to win it but we achieved more this season than anyone thought we could.

Now onto the trading,drafting and delisting side of of things

Looks like Jetta is a lock to come home not a fan of him,atm seems to be just another Hill who plays when they please.

Not sure who gets the boot maybe Maginness,Karpany,Main

LF

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-10-05/eagles-after-more-than-just-redden-jetta

HARLEY Bennell is not on West Coast's radar, but the Eagles are looking at a host of possible trade targets including Lewis Jetta and Jack Redden, Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett says.

However, the Eagles are all but resigned to losing vice-captain Scott Selwood given the restricted free agent has not signed a contract for next season.

The Eagles could potentially be very active in this years NAB AFL trade and free agency period following the Grand Final loss to Hawthorn.

They have already been linked heavily with Jetta and Redden. Nisbett said the Eagles had their eyes on a number of players but ruled out any play for Bennell.

"No, Harley's not in our thinking," Nisbett said on Monday.

"We're looking at a lot of guys.

"We're looking to improve the squad. We'll go after guys we think can improve the group.

"You have to have more than one or two irons in the fire in the trade period, because you can't always get exactly the players you're after.

"We're interested in those two blokes (Jetta and Redden) for sure. But there's other players we'll be looking at to see whether they can help our squad."

Jetta has already signalled his intention to move home to WA and West Coast is in the box seat to do a deal with the Sydney Swans.

Redden has requested a trade from the Brisbane Lions and has indicated West Coast as the club of his choice rather than heading home to South Australia.

Nisbett said he did not know whether Selwood had made a decision on his future, but he was preparing for the worst and expected to know within the next two weeks.

"I guess anyone who hasn't signed a contract over the last 12 months, we're always looking at the negative that he's probably on his way out," Nisbett said.

"But he'll make that call in due course. We have left it to him now. He has to let us know what he wants to do."

Nisbett said he expected a first round draft pick as compensation for Selwood should he leave but admitted there were no guarantees from the AFL.

"They don't tell us what the rules are," Nisbett said.

"They have given us guidelines for the first time on Monday about how they look at things.

"But I think in the end, if Scott was to leave, we'd be looking for a first round draft pick because he is a club champion, he's in that age group and I'm sure he's going to get paid well. I guess, in the end that's what we'd hope for.

"But they don't tell you what compensation you're going to get so we'd have to wait on the AFL."

The Eagles might make a slight shift in their list management strategy given their success this season.

Traditionally they have focused on drafting talent and also recruiting WA players coming home, but Nisbett said they would look at recruiting some experience if it was the right fit.

"We normally draft underneath, that's always our policy," Nisbett said.

"We think if we can add another couple of senior players, that might assist us to further improve.

"If we can improve a bit more, we're a silly chance again."

LF

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-10-05/eagles-look-to-extend-simpsons-contract

WEST Coast will try to secure coach Adam Simpson on a long-term contract extension over the summer following a successful run to the Grand Final, chief executive Trevor Nisbett says.

Simpson is contracted until the end of the 2016 season. He signed a two-year deal when he was appointed at the end of 2013 with a one-year extension option for 2016, which was triggered at the end of last season.

But Nisbett said he would sit down with Simpson and his management over the summer to discuss his contract.

"We'll speak to Adam and his management over the summer first to see where they are at because obviously it is a two-way street," Nisbett said on Monday.

Ricochet

I reckon Jetta will be a great fit for you guys. He's an elite kick and Sydney look to use him when moving the ball inside 50 as much as possible. Put him on a wing and he'll hit JJK, Darling and Lecca lace out more often than not

Ricochet

Quote from: Ricochet on October 06, 2015, 02:59:28 PM
I reckon Jetta will be a great fit for you guys. He's an elite kick and Sydney look to use him when moving the ball inside 50 as much as possible. Put him on a wing and he'll hit JJK, Darling and Lecca lace out more often than not
Just had a look

This year he ranked 12th for most inside 50s in the comp but disposal efficiency was the highest of the top 42. (that is disp eff of all possies tho, and not just inside 50s)

elephants

Yeah I think Jetta is different to Hill in that he can play midfield and even half-back/half-forward. Hill is pretty much exclusively a small forward who does some incredible things but also some horrific things. Gotta take the good with the bad though I guess. I'm not sure what we'd give for Jetta as he is still under contract, but if he comes relatively cheap, then I'm keen.

Redden to replace Scooter.

And I wonder who else is on our radar... "But there's other players we'll be looking at to see whether they can help our squad."

LF

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: elephants on October 06, 2015, 03:30:35 PM
Yeah I think Jetta is different to Hill in that he can play midfield and even half-back/half-forward. Hill is pretty much exclusively a small forward who does some incredible things but also some horrific things. Gotta take the good with the bad though I guess. I'm not sure what we'd give for Jetta as he is still under contract, but if he comes relatively cheap, then I'm keen.

Why are you comparing Jetta to Hill? Two completely different players.

elephants

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 06, 2015, 03:56:36 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 06, 2015, 03:30:35 PM

Why are you comparing Jetta to Hill? Two completely different players.

... What?
I'm not? I'm explaining to LF how different they are?

Quote from: LF on October 04, 2015, 09:18:23 PM
Looks like Jetta is a lock to come home not a fan of him,atm seems to be just another Hill who plays when they please.

RaisyDaisy

Ah OK :)

Yeah, they both can be lazy and go missing that's for sure - but when they're on they have an impact!

I know a lot of WCE fans don't really like Hill, but I've always liked him in our side. Not many small forwards that are super consistent week in week out anyway, and when he is on his pressure and goals are great

T Dog

As an outsider watching the final series, I would be developing a new onfield leadership model / plan. Seemed to be all at sea too often. Footy Skills don't mean leadership I suppose. Just an observation.

Gigantor

Quote from: LF on October 04, 2015, 09:18:23 PM
We had a great season making it to the GF despite all the naysayers,shame we couldn't do better to win it but we achieved more this season than anyone thought we could.

Now onto the trading,drafting and delisting side of of things

Not sure who gets the boot maybe Maginness,Karpany,Main

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-06/eagles-cut-three-in-wake-of-grand-final-loss

2 out of 3 LF, not bad  :P

I guess its not really a surprise that Powell got the flick seeing how we proved we can survive without tall defenders. Also Barrass showed a bit when he got the chance.

LF

elephants

Yeah reckon Karpany is lucky, but he probably has the greatest upside of any of those mentioned.

Maginness wrecked by injuries :(

RaisyDaisy

WEST Coast coach Adam Simpson says he will meet with Eagles vice-captain Scott Selwood on Wednesday to discuss his playing future.

Selwood became a restricted free agent on Tuesday and it appears increasingly likely that he will leave the Eagles, having been heavily linked with a move home to Geelong.

The Eagles announced on Tuesday evening that three players, youngster Dylan Main and rookies Rowen Powell and Will Maginness, had been delisted.

But Simpson told Perth radio station 6PR on Tuesday night that no other formal discussions had taken place with the players since the Grand Final.

"We've stuck together the last few days," Simpson said.

"We're going to review the game tomorrow, which is going to be tough and then we've got our best and fairest on Friday, and that might be the day we actually reflect on the year.

"With Scott, I haven't spoken to him. I'm going to meet the players tomorrow.

"So we'll go through that process in the next couple of days. It's going to be a pretty busy trade period for a lot of clubs. It'll be unprecedented I think."

Simpson was pleased that both Lewis Jetta and Jack Redden had shown interest in moving to West Coast although he said he had not met with either player.

"That will be in the coming weeks if we go down that path," he said.

"There are a few other options around that we're looking at as well.

"We're really pleased that there's players putting their hand up saying they want to come to our club.

That's a really pleasing fact that we can deal with some of the players that want to do that."

Simpson was still coming to grips with the Grand Final loss to Hawthorn and he was bitterly disappointed that his players had not been able to execute on the day.

But he said it would be a mistake to make wholesale changes to the game-plan on the back of one bad performance.
"One thing we can't do is go into a knee-jerk reaction and decide that everything we're doing is not working because of one really bad performance, albeit it was a big one," Simpson said.

He believed the list was in very good shape to improve but said there were no guarantees that the Eagles would return to the Grand Final next year.

Simpson said he would have some challenges reshaping the defense next season when Eric Mackenzie and Mitch Brown returned from their knee injuries.

"That's going to be a new challenge for us, how we fit Eric Mackenzie and Mitch Brown back into our side and what we do with some of our players," Simpson said.

"I think we'll adapt but there might be some more teething that we've got to get through to get to that really good space that we were in this year."

Simpson also hinted that Jeremy McGovern could be moved forward next year.

"I think we'll train him up as a forward at some stage over the pre-season and it's difficult to predict where he's going to play because he keeps telling me his best position is in the ruck," Simpson said.

"So we'll wait and see on that one, but he's got the ability to play at both ends and that's a really good asset for us.

"We need to get his body right and durable because if he's to have an impact in this competition he needs to play 20 games plus per season. At the moment he's not doing that."