A Best 22 for 2016

Started by H1bb3i2d, July 07, 2015, 06:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

pretty cool  that nearly all our young KPP players can go either end and Hooker

plumdog millionaire

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 31, 2015, 02:38:30 PM
pretty cool  that nearly all our young KPP players can go either end and Hooker
All of them are best as defenders, kind of a waste to not play a guy at their best position

silloc

plumdog millionaire

silloc

silloc

Also did you guys hear Reidy say Fletch has made massive improvement. Really hope he plays a final farewell game

plumdog millionaire

Pears emergency!
Yeah for sure hoping Fletch gets the chance to play one last home game as a farewell, want a great send off for the champ

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: silloc on July 31, 2015, 02:23:39 PM
Quote from: H1bb3i2d on July 30, 2015, 05:30:46 PM
And when Hooker experiences a quiet patch, "put him back in defence, where he belongs, and put Carlisle back forward!" as people did with Carlisle's quiet patch and Hurley's ability to go back to FF? Hooker has great hands, so does Jake!

Hooker's an AA defender. Sure, he can take plenty of marks, but in defence, he can chip it to Hibberd/Hurley etc to attack. What about when he marks 60m out and doesn't have these outlets that have been closed up closer to goal? He can't hit a target like a Roughy/Riewoldt/Buddy can.

And when he starts getting double teamed? He can outmark 2 forwards going for the ball, but two defenders trying to spoil is a different matter.

He's been great at filling in and providing a marking option, I'm just not sure it's the best long-term.

Problem I find is that these guys have a harder time playing themselves into form in the forward line. Especially when they've had interrupted season/preseasons. I think it's reasonable to play them into form in their natural position then swing them forward.

Yeah fair call - let him play in defence and not have to worry about leading patterns, game plans etc., just follow his man around and let the footy come to him, and only worry about marking it. I guess that's why Hooker has been so effective as a marking target - he just has so much confidence in his ability to mark the ball, and he's been taking grabs/bringing it to ground when completely out of position/third man deep etc.

But I feel Carlisle is still a long term forward. He was a jet as a junior and an exceptional kick at goal early in his career, too.

kilbluff1985

trade our first pick for Dixon and Z Smith then we can keep them all in defense

might have to add a 2nd or 3rd rounder but you get the idea

silloc

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 31, 2015, 09:47:28 PM

Go home, you're drunk. No way would anyone give up a top 5 draft pick for those two. Plus we're after midfielders not key position.

Darcy Parish here we come

plumdog millionaire

Was at the game yesterday and they just have no run, So may times Gwilt was at FB and couldn't do anything but kick a nothing kick to the wing. Bombers need some outside class in the mold of an Isaac Smith or a Brandon Ellis, as well as some presence in the half forward line.
In general I think the underlying problem is that they have no speed or dare right now, Colyer was really it for the most of the season

silloc

Quote from: plumdog millionaire on August 03, 2015, 02:31:03 PM
Was at the game yesterday and they just have no run, So may times Gwilt was at FB and couldn't do anything but kick a nothing kick to the wing. Bombers need some outside class in the mold of an Isaac Smith or a Brandon Ellis, as well as some presence in the half forward line.
In general I think the underlying problem is that they have no speed or dare right now, Colyer was really it for the most of the season

100% agree, confidence = shot. You look at them coming out of defense compared to them, polar opposites.

But it's not just that, our ball winning and tackling was poor. Skills seem fine imo, like they're hitting targets (even though the targets are limited) and slick enough with ball in hand.

Southstorm

If we added Dixon then we could trade Carlisle for a first rounder and get a mid out of the draft. No point keeping all of Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle, Steinberg and Pears if we can get good currency for one of them in a trade.

silloc

Quote from: Southstorm on August 03, 2015, 04:51:56 PM

If we added Dixon then we could trade Carlisle for a first rounder and get a mid out of the draft. No point keeping all of Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle, Steinberg and Pears if we can get good currency for one of them in a trade.

I do agree with that logic, but I don't think the personnel is the issue here. We could bring the same list in next year with a fresh preseason and mindset. I believe that all we really need is children

Southstorm

Quote from: silloc on August 03, 2015, 05:12:16 PM
Quote from: Southstorm on August 03, 2015, 04:51:56 PM

I do agree with that logic, but I don't think the personnel is the issue here. We could bring the same list in next year with a fresh preseason and mindset. I believe that all we really need is children
We'd definitely do better next season especially if the WADA saga finally finishes, but I don't have faith in Hooker or Carlisle being a permanent forward line option. They've shown glimpses a couple of times but they both struggle with marking as a forward and both of them struggle with kicking set shots. If we're serious about restocking the list, we might as well address that issue while we have the chance. Especially since neither of them seem to enjoy playing forward.