Is Hardwick really the coach who will lead Richmond to a premiership?

Started by TheAnt, May 26, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersuperkents

Quote from: quinny88 on May 03, 2015, 11:50:43 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on May 03, 2015, 11:23:27 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on May 03, 2015, 08:31:56 PM
Not Hardwick's fault they are losing, it's their auxiliary players. I would say Richmond have one of the best core groups in the AFL. However, their auxiliary players are some of the worst.

They have done well to bring in Miles and Hunt and probably others I'm missing

Probably needed to go harder for guys like Garlett/Newton/Frost etc though who can add that extra spark and really add to their depth

We earmarked this coming trade season as the year we would go after a big name with the cash we have. Shiel or Danger would be ideal. We get one of those and a genuine quick dangerous small forward and I think we can become a top 4 side.

Team suddenly looks a lot more dangerous then

FB: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin

HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin

C: Ellis, Danger/Shiel, Conca

HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights

FF: Edwards, Riewoldt, ??

R: Maric, Cotchin, Martin

I/C Miles, Conca, Grigg, McIntosh

Not sure what small forwards will be available but it means that Morris can move back to the defence where he belongs.
Lloyd, Gordon are small forward depth instead of automatic starters.
I honestly think they are capable of being a top 4 side now. Their only problem is inconsistency because of a lack of depth. When they are in form they are guaranteed 5-6th.

Have you agree, personally I would be going for Dylan Shiel and Will Hoskin-Elliott, I know he's a tall but Jroo, Griffith, & WHE would be a dangerous trio for any club to go up against. I think you should count Chris Knights out of the equation. It was a mistake recruiting such an injury prone player, Petterd is another who, like Knights, always had potential but his body just can't handle the pressure of AFL football.

What's your thoughts on Rance? Brisbane think they are going to get him (which is illogical because Rance is suffering from motivation issues, and they are a club where careers go to die  :P ), but I perceive some threat from Freo. I would put my money on Richmond retaining him (the club seems to have one of the best organisational cultures in the league), however he is Western Australian, would have an opportunity to join the best defensive side in the comp. (presumably for more money), and they are a premiership contender and have the young players to fill in the spaces (Rance could be perceived as the ideal replacement for McPharlin). Do Tigers supporters feel any foreseeable threat occurring from out West?

quinny88

Yeah you're probably right with Knights which is a massive shame coz he's such a classy player.

I'm honestly not all that concerned about Rance. Apparently they aren't that far off a deal.
There was always the lure of heading home but his family have moved over here so I don't see that being a huge issue.
Would be a huge loss if he did go because I consider him our most important player

shaker

Quote from: quinny88 on May 03, 2015, 11:17:04 PM
Quote from: shaker on May 03, 2015, 09:01:23 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on May 03, 2015, 04:02:19 AM
Honestly what would the options even be at the end of the year?

Only way I would agree with us moving Dimma on is if it was to get a Ken Hinkley or Ross Lyon type which isn't gonna happen.

The way we are playing has nothing to do with Hardwick and everything to do with our team being too reliant on certain players and not being able to cover injuries.

The problem is Q that he has 6 years now to build a successful team and we are still playing lots of poor games this year , like last year and the year before that with same excuses repeating over and over again , we can't use injuries or missing players as an excuse look at the Pies and the Dogs they are all playing for there coaches with passion and heart with lists that been drastically weakened by departures and injuries were just not improving or he can't get team to play the way he wants look at yesterday they still did not come out breathing fire

It would be lovely to get the coaches you mentioned but that aint gonna happen the only premiership coaches available that are not over this hill are Bomber or Choco but he has major health problems , so you are saying give Dimma another 5 years and rebuild with youth , sorry can't agree with that he has had his chance time to move on next year

The only way he is going to save his own skin is get the team winning from next week and most weeks for the rest of the season

I agree in part but keep in mind we've improved every one of those 6 years. Looks like we have hit a peak a bit in the last 12 months but I don't blame dimma for that.
6 years of compromised drafts hasn't helped and with the age and depth of our list we are simply just a 5-8 side right now. I agree that anything below that would be unacceptable but the season is early yet and we have some very important players to come back into the side.
Dimma has been the best coach this clubs had in decades and together with Gale has turned the place around on and off the field so I think he's earned the right to finish out his contract at least and then assess where we are at

I keep seeing people say it is not his fault well he is the all controlling head coach and he must take responsibility for continuing bad performances like it or not that is just how it works in all sporting teams and codes worldwide and if he can't get them into the finals and win one this year that is going backwards to me we must keep improving every year for him to stay on , like I said earlier he is the only one who can save his own skin starting the next game lets see how he goes but we have missed out on wins against the lower teams once more and now our draw gets tough

shaker

Saw Houli saying yesterday that Rance is very serious with his religion Mormon I think was mentioned but don't quote me on that and there were whispers that he could walk away from the game for it , Houli said he did not think he would but who knows , one thing for sure that if the Tiges don't lift there game there is a very real chance he will be a Docker next year

Nige

I'm actually quite worried that Dimma will lose his job because our team is gutless. It's not on him, it's the players. No leaders on field. When we're getting flogged, nobody has heart to inspire a comeback until the game is too far gone. The coach can only do so much.

shaker

RaisyDaisy

I posted this in the Match Day thread

Coaches cop so much flack because they are the easiest target

Malthouse and Eade are gun coaches and their teams are going crap, and Richmond is the same

None of us know how they players react to Dimma's leadership, so I'm not saying he is completely innocent, but it's the players who go out and play each week, and so many teams/players over the years have got away unscathed while the coach cops it all

Tigers need to unite and harden up. And supporters/media need to think their heads, not their hearts, and realise that certain "big name club" like Richmond and Carlton are crap because their lists are poor, not their coaches

shaker

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on May 09, 2015, 05:48:10 PM

Malthouse and Eade are gun coaches and their teams are going crap, and Richmond is the same

None of us know how they players react to Dimma's leadership, so I'm not saying he is completely innocent, but it's the players who go out and play each week, and so many teams/players over the years have got away unscathed while the coach cops it all

Tigers need to unite and harden up. And supporters/media need to think their heads, not their hearts, and realise that certain "big name club" like Richmond and Carlton are crap because their lists are poor, not their coaches

Fair point RD Malthouse is in his second year I think but think he will bow out gracefully and spend some time with all his kids and grand kids Dimma has had 6 and still getting nowhere , I will keep chipping away and copping the flak till the obvious happens and every one will be behind the new coach and what I am saying now will mean little , don't insult me by saying that it not the coaches fault , Port basket case enter Hinkley finals team , Doggies fell apart key players leave lose there best mid enter Beverage a massive turn around , all the good teams in contention have quality coaches so far in 6 years Dimma has failed that test , bring on Bomber for me

Nige

Quote from: shaker on May 09, 2015, 06:17:17 PM

Fair point RD Malthouse is in his second year I think but think he will bow out gracefully and spend some time with all his kids and grand kids Dimma has had 6 and still getting nowhere , I will keep chipping away and copping the flak till the obvious happens and every one will be behind the new coach and what I am saying now will mean little , don't insult me by saying that it not the coaches fault , Port basket case enter Hinkley finals team , Doggies fell apart key players leave lose there best mid enter Beverage a massive turn around , all the good teams in contention have quality coaches so far in 6 years Dimma has failed that test , bring on Bomber for me
We were the basket case with Terry Wallace at the helm, or have you forgotten that?

shaker

Quote from: Nige on May 09, 2015, 06:24:03 PM

We were the basket case with Terry Wallace at the helm, or have you forgotten that?

Nige I am a lot older than you we have not found the coach that will do the job yet actually Dimma is starting to resemble Wallace more as time goes on , who knows Dimma might have the team in a remarkable turn around from next week and we will go on to win the flag or we might just crumble away to the bottom of the ladder , the latter is looking more likely but when Dimma gets the flick I am positive I am going to see you saying he had to go for the clubs sake  ::)

quinny88

Quote from: shaker on May 09, 2015, 06:35:23 PM

Nige I am a lot older than you we have not found the coach that will do the job yet actually Dimma is starting to resemble Wallace more as time goes on , who knows Dimma might have the team in a remarkable turn around from next week and we will go on to win the flag or we might just crumble away to the bottom of the ladder , the latter is looking more likely but when Dimma gets the flick I am positive I am going to see you saying he had to go for the clubs sake  ::)

It's inevitable that every coach goes at some stage and 9/10 times its not off their own accord so of course you are eventually going to be right but there's no way I'll ever look at Dimma as anything other than a saviour for this club.
Go look at the list and playing style of his first year to now. He hasn't put a foot out of line and has methodically built this team from nothing.
For whatever reason we've plateaued but he's earned the right to have a crack at getting us over that.
Don't be fooled into thinking his repetitive media speeches are what he is saying behind closed doors.
Benny Gale is a very intelligent man that's been around football for a long time and was at one point being touted as the next AFL CEO before he took the Richmond job on so I'll back his judgement in

shaker

Quote from: quinny88 on May 11, 2015, 05:11:56 AM
Quote from: shaker on May 09, 2015, 06:35:23 PM

It's inevitable that every coach goes at some stage and 9/10 times its not off their own accord so of course you are eventually going to be right but there's no way I'll ever look at Dimma as anything other than a saviour for this club.
Go look at the list and playing style of his first year to now. He hasn't put a foot out of line and has methodically built this team from nothing.
For whatever reason we've plateaued but he's earned the right to have a crack at getting us over that.
Don't be fooled into thinking his repetitive media speeches are what he is saying behind closed doors.
Benny Gale is a very intelligent man that's been around football for a long time and was at one point being touted as the next AFL CEO before he took the Richmond job on so I'll back his judgement in

Agree that Gale is fantastic for us but he is not a coach I don't think our list is as bad as everyone is saying it's not the best but not that bad , I don't see Dimma as a saviour just another coach that had a crack and couldn't get the chockies .

So whoever is at fault the recruiters , player development in the end the head coach cops it in the neck and think that what is going to happen this year unless Dimma can turn this team around pronto and if things go even more pear shaped from here on in that's when we need Gale to be proactive and get the highest qualified premiership coach available in my mind Bomber before the Blues get in first .

frenzy

just blowing the cobwebs off this thread for our tiger friends who will be hurting tonite. Just saying. :o

Pkbaldy

Is Cotchin really the Captain who will lead Richmond to a premiership?

Nige

Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 13, 2015, 07:11:43 PM
Is Cotchin really the Captain who will lead Richmond to a premiership?
Probs not. Nick Vlastuin tho!