Is Hardwick really the coach who will lead Richmond to a premiership?

Started by TheAnt, May 26, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

elephants

Bully

Hardwick should be bitterly disappointed with Dan Richardson & Blair Hartley this year, so far our trading has been poor beyond belief. While all the other middling clubs are stocking up we're sitting on our hands and doing nothing. We have Townsend who is a decent get but is far from a certain best 22 player.

Meanwhile Geelong have Danger, Selwood, Henderson & Smith. Collingwood have Treloar, Aish & Howe. West Coast have Redden & Jetta, Freo get Bennell & possibly McCarthy. Seriously, we have Hampson & few discards to show for over the past 2 years, what the hell is going on?

powersuperkents

Quote from: Bully on October 19, 2015, 09:50:01 PM
Hardwick should be bitterly disappointed with Dan Richardson & Blair Hartley this year, so far our trading has been poor beyond belief. While all the other middling clubs are stocking up we're sitting on our hands and doing nothing. We have Townsend who is a decent get but is far from a certain best 22 player.

Meanwhile Geelong have Danger, Selwood, Henderson & Smith. Collingwood have Treloar, Aish & Howe. West Coast have Redden & Jetta, Freo get Bennell & possibly McCarthy. Seriously, we have Hampson & few discards to show for over the past 2 years, what the hell is going on?
Richmond are better at picking up discarded players and reinvigorating their careers. I'm sure they will get some players in the rookie draft and a delisted free agent or two.

Richmond has never been an 'in-demand club' in regards to trading over the last few years and they have not really needed it tbh - teams like West Coast, Collingwood, Geelong & Freo are filling holes in their lists. Richmond don't have any holes in their list, they just lack depth (besides an outside run-and-carry mid you have a complete team - the next step would involve upgrading the 2nd tier players in the best 22 so the core group + the talented ancillary players don't have to carry them).

In my opinion, Richmond only need an outside mid and the team can then focus on improving the quality of the worst 4-5 players in the starting 22

Bully

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 19, 2015, 10:54:22 PM

Richmond are better at picking up discarded players and reinvigorating their careers. I'm sure they will get some players in the rookie draft and a delisted free agent or two.

Richmond has never been an 'in-demand club' in regards to trading over the last few years and they have not really needed it tbh - teams like West Coast, Collingwood, Geelong & Freo are filling holes in their lists. Richmond don't have any holes in their list, they just lack depth (besides an outside run-and-carry mid you have a complete team - the next step would involve upgrading the 2nd tier players in the best 22 so the core group + the talented ancillary players don't have to carry them).

In my opinion, Richmond only need an outside mid and the team can then focus on improving the quality of the worst 4-5 players in the starting 22

All fair comments but to improve the bottom 5 we should be aiming to get one or two A grade players through the door. We missed out on Treloar & Bennell, this indicates to me we are poor at selling the club. I would have also made a play at a few free agents, instead of Yarran bring in Suckling at a fraction of the cost. Target a ruckman like Leuey and prepare for the imminent decline of Maric. Even a player like Redden would have been a great fit as opposed to a long shot like Townsend. One thing's for sure, holding our place in the 8 will be a dogfight, teams like Geelong, Collingwood, Port and GWS will be breathing down our necks. 

powersuperkents

Quote from: Bully on October 19, 2015, 11:31:16 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 19, 2015, 10:54:22 PM

All fair comments but to improve the bottom 5 we should be aiming to get one or two A grade players through the door. We missed out on Treloar & Bennell, this indicates to me we are poor at selling the club. I would have also made a play at a few free agents, instead of Yarran bring in Suckling at a fraction of the cost. Target a ruckman like Leuey and prepare for the imminent decline of Maric. Even a player like Redden would have been a great fit as opposed to a long shot like Townsend. One thing's for sure, holding our place in the 8 will be a dogfight, teams like Geelong, Collingwood, Port and GWS will be breathing down our necks.
+1

I agree with all of this. Richmond have been fantastic at player retention (they seem to have a strong club culture which the players embrace), however their activity regarding big trade targets and free agents would be only a cut above the Demons. I'm not sure why this is, but I don't think it's the club that's the problem. As you pointed out, it's those in charge of recruiting now being proactive enough.

I was really hoping to see the Tiges bag Treloar or even Aish but they haven't made a play for either. Yarran should not have been the sole focus and the club should have had a second target lined up to join him (the Townsend trade would only have taken a couple hours to sort out). They don't need the additional player, but like you said, it could remove one of the worst players in the starting 22 and replace them with a better player (Suckling would have been perfect). Don't forget that Richmond have quite a few players in development as well but I agree, the club has the perception of being a 'non-trading' team to outsiders.

elephants

Yeah I think its less about filling holes and more about bringing in quality talent and turning specific areas into strengths.

quinny88

It's not that we haven't tried to get big names, we've just been unlucky and missed out. We threw all we could at Treloar but Collingwood are a very attractive club to go to and have more to offer GWS as they finished lower on the ladder.
Bennell would have been nice too but if he can't even show up to a medical then he's not worth our time.

The Yarran deal will get done and he will be a great inclusion of much needed pace and skill. Was unhappy at the blues but at his best is a very good player and will slot in nicely. If we get him alone I think our best 22 is top 4 material and we still have money to go again next year at a big name.

Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
Houli, Chaplin, Batchelor
B.Ellis, Martin, Yarran
Deledio, Vickery, Edwards
Lennon, Riewoldt, Lloyd
Maric, Cotchin, Miles

I/C Conca, Grigg, McIntosh, Griffiths, Townsend, Hunt, Lambert, C. Ellis, Astbury, Gordon, Morris, Hampson, Thomas, McBean, Menadue, Dea, Drummond etc..

Plenty of depth there

Toga

If the war chest is left unopened year after year we have to get a big name eventually right? ..... Right?

Bully

Quote from: quinny88 on October 20, 2015, 08:53:17 PM
It's not that we haven't tried to get big names, we've just been unlucky and missed out. We threw all we could at Treloar but Collingwood are a very attractive club to go to and have more to offer GWS as they finished lower on the ladder.
Bennell would have been nice too but if he can't even show up to a medical then he's not worth our time.

The Yarran deal will get done and he will be a great inclusion of much needed pace and skill. Was unhappy at the blues but at his best is a very good player and will slot in nicely. If we get him alone I think our best 22 is top 4 material and we still have money to go again next year at a big name.

Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
B.Ellis, Martin, Yarran
Lennon, Riewoldt, Lloyd
Maric, Cotchin, Miles

I/C Conca, Grigg, McIntosh, Griffiths, Townsend, Hunt, Lambert, C. Ellis, Astbury, Gordon, Morris, Hampson, Thomas, McBean, Menadue, Dea, Drummond etc..

Plenty of depth there

The player who stands out like dogs balls is Lloyd, it's one reason I'm so keen to get a guy like Wayne Milera with our first rounder.

Grazz

Quote from: Bully on October 21, 2015, 01:29:01 AM

Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
B.Ellis, Martin, Yarran
Lennon, Riewoldt, Lloyd
Maric, Cotchin, Miles

Plenty of depth there

The player who stands out like dogs balls is Lloyd, it's one reason I'm so keen to get a guy like Wayne Milera with our first rounder.

I read somewhere the Crows are keen on Milera aswell mate.

Bully

Quote from: Grazz on October 21, 2015, 01:35:33 AM

Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
B.Ellis, Martin, Yarran
Lennon, Riewoldt, Lloyd
Maric, Cotchin, Miles

Plenty of depth there

Wouldn't surprise me, has already dominated at SANFL level, fair initial compo for Danger with more to come. Reckon we look at Balic or Oliver, one of those should be available.

Grazz

Quote from: Bully on October 21, 2015, 02:00:08 AM
Quote from: Grazz on October 21, 2015, 01:35:33 AM

Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
B.Ellis, Martin, Yarran
Lennon, Riewoldt, Lloyd
Maric, Cotchin, Miles

Plenty of depth there

Wouldn't surprise me, has already dominated at SANFL level, fair initial compo for Danger with more to come. Reckon we look at Balic or Oliver, one of those should be available.

You may get lucky still as their also keen on Francis and if he's still there at pick 9 they'll probably jump on him but I doubt he'll still be there at #9 and the consensus is he wont be so they could jump on Milera at #9 instead.

frenzy

Nige

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is set to sign a contract extension with the Tigers in early 2016.

The new deal is expected to be ratified by the Richmond board before round one in March next year.

Tigers president Peggy O'Neal told Fairfax Media she expected discussions on Hardwick's contract would begin on February 15 at the club's first boarding meeting for 2016.