Is Hardwick really the coach who will lead Richmond to a premiership?

Started by TheAnt, May 26, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Quote from: Nige on December 02, 2015, 12:54:47 PM
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is set to sign a contract extension with the Tigers in early 2016.

The new deal is expected to be ratified by the Richmond board before round one in March next year.

Tigers president Peggy O'Neal told Fairfax Media she expected discussions on Hardwick's contract would begin on February 15 at the club's first boarding meeting for 2016.

I'd have no issue with us signing him up for another year or 2. Wouldn't go longer than that though as even if we finish first for the next 2 years, if we don't win a final he's gonna have to go

powersuperkents

Quote from: quinny88 on December 02, 2015, 02:53:56 PM
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is set to sign a contract extension with the Tigers in early 2016.

The new deal is expected to be ratified by the Richmond board before round one in March next year.

Tigers president Peggy O'Neal told Fairfax Media she expected discussions on Hardwick's contract would begin on February 15 at the club's first boarding meeting for 2016.

I'd have no issue with us signing him up for another year or 2. Wouldn't go longer than that though as even if we finish first for the next 2 years, if we don't win a final he's gonna have to go
Although I agree with you. It's unfair that the finals loses are pinned on Dimma. It's the playing group that are choking and you cannot say Dimma hasn't tried (he has brought in a number of new recruits each year since the 2013 Elimination Final just to help them get over the top).

Honestly, the players looked spooked this year once North Melbourne started to charge back into the game and they started making simple mistakes and playing defensively. That was the reason they lost - it was psychological and I assume one of the big reasons Scott rested the players (to play mind games and give Richmond, from 5th place with a big win the prior week, more to lose - I honestly believe Scott had no doubts as to whether it would be successful).

The first loss to Carlton was hard and saw them eliminated from their first final since 2001 in the most embarrassing fashion imaginable. Secondly, although the loss to a Port Adelaide outfit which was shockingly out-of-form going into the game was nothing to ponder, the fact that they had lost by quarter-time only exacerbated their finals nerves (remember that these players are still inexperienced in finals games). Finally, against the Roos, many expected the Kangas to lose - and esp. after resting it seemed that the Kangas had more to lose. This caused them to be underestimated even though their 8th place finish was in fact the result of a tough home-and-away fixture.

It's only going to get harder from here. My advice... if they want to go to the next level, it's imperative they finish in the top 4. If they don't, I cannot see these players' maintaining their composure. I did not watch the Carlton game, however I saw the Port & Kangas games and noticed that once the players start feeling pressure, a lot of the Richmond players become frustrated and seem more focused on physically attacking the opposition players rather than following Dimma's gameplan (I would say this is Rance's one weakness - Vickery can be another offender but was quite calm against the Roos). They need to get the confidence of a top 4 finish, and they need to possess the knowledge that they have a 2nd game and are not facing sudden death (the team is horrible under pressure during finals... yet fantastic under pressure during the home and away season). 

I have to say, they have the talent and structure to be premiership contenders. It's all psychological at this point

Note:
Townsend is a fantastic pick-up and should mitigate the problem players (those that start fights when frustrated). Now Townsend can do the fighting (in a strategic and legitimate manner) and players like Rance, Dusty, Vickery etc. can focus on just playing the game.     

quinny88

Quote from: powersuperkents on December 02, 2015, 03:14:07 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on December 02, 2015, 02:53:56 PM

Although I agree with you. It's unfair that the finals loses are pinned on Dimma. It's the playing group that are choking and you cannot say Dimma hasn't tried (he has brought in a number of new recruits each year since the 2013 Elimination Final just to help them get over the top).

Honestly, the players looked spooked this year once North Melbourne started to charge back into the game and they started making simple mistakes and playing defensively. That was the reason they lost - it was psychological and I assume one of the big reasons Scott rested the players (to play mind games and give Richmond, from 5th place with a big win the prior week, more to lose - I honestly believe Scott had no doubts as to whether it would be successful).

The first loss to Carlton was hard and saw them eliminated from their first final since 2001 in the most embarrassing fashion imaginable. Secondly, although the loss to a Port Adelaide outfit which was shockingly out-of-form going into the game was nothing to ponder, the fact that they had lost by quarter-time only exacerbated their finals nerves (remember that these players are still inexperienced in finals games). Finally, against the Roos, many expected the Kangas to lose - and esp. after resting it seemed that the Kangas had more to lose. This caused them to be underestimated even though their 8th place finish was in fact the result of a tough home-and-away fixture.

It's only going to get harder from here. My advice... if they want to go to the next level, it's imperative they finish in the top 4. If they don't, I cannot see these players' maintaining their composure. I did not watch the Carlton game, however I saw the Port & Kangas games and noticed that once the players start feeling pressure, a lot of the Richmond players become frustrated and seem more focused on physically attacking the opposition players rather than following Dimma's gameplan (I would say this is Rance's one weakness - Vickery can be another offender but was quite calm against the Roos). They need to get the confidence of a top 4 finish, and they need to possess the knowledge that they have a 2nd game and are not facing sudden death (the team is horrible under pressure during finals... yet fantastic under pressure during the home and away season). 

I have to say, they have the talent and structure to be premiership contenders. It's all psychological at this point

Note:
Townsend is a fantastic pick-up and should mitigate the problem players (those that start fights when frustrated). Now Townsend can do the fighting (in a strategic and legitimate manner) and players like Rance, Dusty, Vickery etc. can focus on just playing the game.   

Yeah I completely agree and don't blame Dimma at all but it would still be near impossible for him to keep his job if we lost another final or 2 without winning one. That's just the way footy is weather it's fair or not. I think he's a great coach though and in 2 of the last 3 years we've only been half a game outside the top 4 which could have made all the difference.

We've definitely been spooked in all 3 finals.
Carlton had a 'nothing to lose' approach against us and were a bogey side of ours at the time. We played useless footy after half time but I put that down to having no finals experience for any of our players.
Against Port we had to play 9 elimination finals in a row to get to the finals and Port were red hot on that day and probably would have belted anyone.
North again were a bogey side but I found that one the most dissapotinting as we were well set for that game, had the pain of 2 finals loses, built a handy lead and then folded. No excuses there.

I would hope the players have learnt their lessons and are ready for finals now weather we finish top 4 or not.
Westcoast did lose 3 eliminations in a row before making the GF 2 years in a row and winning a flag.
Nothing to say that its the same course were on but I think we're in a good spot with the playing group and coach despite the disappointment of the past few years.

tbagrocks

That core group of players Delidio, Cotchspud, Dustin, Rance, Maric, JRoo, Houli and now guys like Ellis, Yarren, Vlas and Ty are at the age that Premierships are built upon, whereas they weren't at that collective age in previous assaults in the losing finals

powersuperkents

Tigers fans may find this article from 2011 interesting

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-list-their-mistakes-20110514-1enk4.html

It covers the Tiges contemporary history of recruiting woes and how Hardwick modified their recruitment strategy to make the club successful with both early picks and trading

frenzy

Just dustin this ol chestnut off.   ;D

For your record holding coach this Friday. 139 matches at the helm without a finals victory. A VFL/AFL record.  ;D

shaker

I think everyone knows my thoughts on this subject seventh year in and it looks pretty bleak , our development of young players is not very good Menadue looks promising for a young guy Lennon does not seem to doing much so far and young Ellis needs more time apart from that any of the rest don't seem to be jumping out , the club continues to trade in B grade rejects from other clubs with poor skills and to draft Yarran and let this proven lazy player turn up over weight and out of shape is not good enough

People will say no Dimma is the man but I am sure he is not we are getting left behind again by other clubs showing much better  drafting , coaching and development

shaker

Football Factory

shaker

Football Factory

nas

quinny88

Hey, if you're wrong it will be a good thing to be wrong about haha

enzedder

shaker