Is Hardwick really the coach who will lead Richmond to a premiership?

Started by TheAnt, May 26, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Another article with words from Brendon Gale, who I absolute love and respect so much, dude is honest as it gets.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwicks-job-is-safe-at-richmond-says-chief-executive-brendon-gale/story-fni5f9jb-1227331564569

In short, he says Dimma's job is safe and the club isn't thinking of getting rid of him.

Fully fit, our list is very capable and Dimma's done a good job of building it considering where it was before he took over.

Gale did admit that our problem is that we struggle to cover injuries more than most other sides due to lack of depth. The gap needs to be bridged.

shaker

Quote from: Nige on May 02, 2015, 01:51:31 PM
Another article with words from Brendon Gale, who I absolute love and respect so much, dude is honest as it gets.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwicks-job-is-safe-at-richmond-says-chief-executive-brendon-gale/story-fni5f9jb-1227331564569

In short, he says Dimma's job is safe and the club isn't thinking of getting rid of him.

Fully fit, our list is very capable and Dimma's done a good job of building it considering where it was before he took over.

Gale did admit that our problem is that we struggle to cover injuries more than most other sides due to lack of depth. The gap needs to be bridged.

Ha ha when they start saying the coach is safe that really means he is flowered this is his sixth year and after today we look like we are going to go backwards this year maybe not but our draw now starts to get real tough , I have no doubt that if things go even more pear shaped from here we will have a new coach next year maybe Bomber ? but we better be quick because the Blues will be looking for one as well

I think our core is good but but beyond that it is poor thank goodness we went youth last draft , Cotch is a great player but not a great Captain and finally Morris has no place in any future team he tries his guts out but football has gone past players like him a year or two ago

PS please don't abuse me or call me a troll Nige it's just my opinion  ;)

quinny88

Honestly what would the options even be at the end of the year?

Only way I would agree with us moving Dimma on is if it was to get a Ken Hinkley or Ross Lyon type which isn't gonna happen.

The way we are playing has nothing to do with Hardwick and everything to do with our team being too reliant on certain players and not being able to cover injuries.

shaker

Quote from: quinny88 on May 03, 2015, 04:02:19 AM

Only way I would agree with us moving Dimma on is if it was to get a Ken Hinkley or Ross Lyon type which isn't gonna happen.

The way we are playing has nothing to do with Hardwick and everything to do with our team being too reliant on certain players and not being able to cover injuries.

The problem is Q that he has 6 years now to build a successful team and we are still playing lots of poor games this year , like last year and the year before that with same excuses repeating over and over again , we can't use injuries or missing players as an excuse look at the Pies and the Dogs they are all playing for there coaches with passion and heart with lists that been drastically weakened by departures and injuries were just not improving or he can't get team to play the way he wants look at yesterday they still did not come out breathing fire

It would be lovely to get the coaches you mentioned but that aint gonna happen the only premiership coaches available that are not over this hill are Bomber or Choco but he has major health problems , so you are saying give Dimma another 5 years and rebuild with youth , sorry can't agree with that he has had his chance time to move on next year

The only way he is going to save his own skin is get the team winning from next week and most weeks for the rest of the season

Toga

The team needs to get to a point where players like Batchelor aren't playing. Offers nothing to the team, has to come out next week.

shaker

Quote from: Toga on May 03, 2015, 09:18:01 AM
The team needs to get to a point where players like Batchelor aren't playing. Offers nothing to the team, has to come out next week.

He offers more than Morris so on that Morris must come out next week as well , deckchair shuffle time

Nige

Quote from: shaker on May 03, 2015, 09:53:12 AM

He offers more than Morris so on that Morris must come out next week as well , deckchair shuffle time
Morris won't come out. He'll go play down back next week.

My issue with dropping Batch is that it means Dylan Grimes comes in and he's not much better imo, plus he's got injury history.

shaker

Quote from: Nige on May 03, 2015, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: shaker on May 03, 2015, 09:53:12 AM

Morris won't come out. He'll go play down back next week.

My issue with dropping Batch is that it means Dylan Grimes comes in and he's not much better imo, plus he's got injury history.

Morris played down back last week and was just as bad think teams are starting to pick him out when down back and making him match up on faster or taller players hence why they are trying to play him forward which he is no good at , it is a real problem for the coach it is a shame because I hear he a fantastic team man around the club unfortunately he is just not suited to todays game 

Toga

Dylan Grimes is far better than Batchelor. And Morris offers a lot defensively, Batchelor doesn't seem to offer anything either way at this point.

Toga

Quote from: shaker on May 03, 2015, 11:51:01 AM
Morris played down back last week and was just as bad think teams are starting to pick him out when down back and making him match up on faster or taller players 

Defenders play on whoever they match up best to, not the other way around. Morris will go to the player that he is most capable of stopping...

shaker

Quote from: Toga on May 03, 2015, 07:10:11 PM
Quote from: shaker on May 03, 2015, 11:51:01 AM
Morris played down back last week and was just as bad think teams are starting to pick him out when down back and making him match up on faster or taller players 

Defenders play on whoever they match up best to, not the other way around. Morris will go to the player that he is most capable of stopping...

Either way he has been shocking no matter where he plays check his stats for the year just over 30 possies in 5 games and opponents are seeing that they can get an advantage with him , if he is good down back why does the coach keep putting forward where he is useless ?

powersuperkents

Not Hardwick's fault they are losing, it's their auxiliary players. I would say Richmond have one of the best core groups in the AFL. However, their auxiliary players are some of the worst.

quinny88

Quote from: shaker on May 03, 2015, 09:01:23 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on May 03, 2015, 04:02:19 AM

The problem is Q that he has 6 years now to build a successful team and we are still playing lots of poor games this year , like last year and the year before that with same excuses repeating over and over again , we can't use injuries or missing players as an excuse look at the Pies and the Dogs they are all playing for there coaches with passion and heart with lists that been drastically weakened by departures and injuries were just not improving or he can't get team to play the way he wants look at yesterday they still did not come out breathing fire

It would be lovely to get the coaches you mentioned but that aint gonna happen the only premiership coaches available that are not over this hill are Bomber or Choco but he has major health problems , so you are saying give Dimma another 5 years and rebuild with youth , sorry can't agree with that he has had his chance time to move on next year

The only way he is going to save his own skin is get the team winning from next week and most weeks for the rest of the season

I agree in part but keep in mind we've improved every one of those 6 years. Looks like we have hit a peak a bit in the last 12 months but I don't blame dimma for that.
6 years of compromised drafts hasn't helped and with the age and depth of our list we are simply just a 5-8 side right now. I agree that anything below that would be unacceptable but the season is early yet and we have some very important players to come back into the side.
Dimma has been the best coach this clubs had in decades and together with Gale has turned the place around on and off the field so I think he's earned the right to finish out his contract at least and then assess where we are at

Big Mac

Quote from: powersuperkents on May 03, 2015, 08:31:56 PM
Not Hardwick's fault they are losing, it's their auxiliary players. I would say Richmond have one of the best core groups in the AFL. However, their auxiliary players are some of the worst.

They have done well to bring in Miles and Hunt and probably others I'm missing

Probably needed to go harder for guys like Garlett/Newton/Frost etc though who can add that extra spark and really add to their depth

quinny88

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 03, 2015, 11:23:27 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on May 03, 2015, 08:31:56 PM

They have done well to bring in Miles and Hunt and probably others I'm missing

Probably needed to go harder for guys like Garlett/Newton/Frost etc though who can add that extra spark and really add to their depth

We earmarked this coming trade season as the year we would go after a big name with the cash we have. Shiel or Danger would be ideal. We get one of those and a genuine quick dangerous small forward and I think we can become a top 4 side.

Team suddenly looks a lot more dangerous then

FB: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin

HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin

C: Ellis, Danger/Shiel, Conca

HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights

FF: Edwards, Riewoldt, ??

R: Maric, Cotchin, Martin

I/C Miles, Conca, Grigg, McIntosh

Not sure what small forwards will be available but it means that Morris can move back to the defence where he belongs.
Lloyd, Gordon are small forward depth instead of automatic starters.