Main Menu

Real Life Cricket

Started by Barlow 21, October 10, 2011, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roo boys!

Quote from: McRooster on October 19, 2011, 08:21:47 PM

Secondly was watching my A Grade side be demolished by Merv Hughes. I think he played for Pints (Pints is the ACTUAL Club name, not how they paid him) when he took 9 fer. The only wicket he didn't get was a guy who was run-out trying to get off strike from big Swervin Mervin. I reckon I've told RB this story as I reckon don't you play with Merv's son RB?  - Apologies if I'm wrong.

Correct, actually gave him quite a nice bruise at training tonight! He's a pretty good batsman, not quite as good a bowler as his old man though ;)

But trust me, playing backyard cricket at his house keeps you always keeping an eye on the doorway to make sure Merv isn't coming out to roll his arm over ;) :)

pothead

Quote from: McRooster on October 19, 2011, 08:21:47 PM
My cricket days are over, couple of tons and quite a few +5fers. Fielding all rounder was probably my forte. Batting mostly at 6/7 and coming on first change with the ball.

I played District Cricket in Darwin for four years (1 season D, 2 seasons C, 1 season B grades). I have two great memories from that time, firstly playing in a match that saw my team mate Adam (Geelong boy) claim TWO hat tricks in the same game and I took two of the catches at first slip! He had his face on the front of the NT News holding ALL the stumps representing his scalps, he ended up with 7 for 20  8)
Secondly was watching my A Grade side be demolished by Merv Hughes. I think he played for Pints (Pints is the ACTUAL Club name, not how they paid him) when he took 9 fer. The only wicket he didn't get was a guy who was run-out trying to get off strike from big Swervin Mervin. I reckon I've told RB this story as I reckon don't you play with Merv's son RB?  - Apologies if I'm wrong.

Playing back here in Adelaide I played in The Torrens Valley District (B Grade Country Cricket). My favourite story from those days was one day I was stand in Captain (Skipper had a CFS emergency and Vice was playing in the A's) so I put everyone up the order to give them a hit, it didn't work too well until Hillsy and I came together for what I still believe is a record partnership for the 9th wicket (157) - of this partnership I made 37. Hillsy was actually the wicket to fall, scoring 159 - including one over in which he sent the first five balls back over the long on boundary and blocked the sixth. The opposition team were sledging him for not going for the last one to which he replied ' It was a good nut, well bowled'. What he said to me mid pitch at the change of over was a bit different, he said 'he was flowered'. I fell for 51 a couple of overs later, leaving the Junior (who had never scored double figures before) at the other end on 9 not out  :'(

That Junior went on to become a Disrict Keeper at East Torrens and made many more runs over the years than I did at Senior level in our side.
what team did you play for up in darwin? I played for palmerston for a year a couple of years ago, i loved playing cricket up there

McRooster

Quote from: pothead on October 20, 2011, 12:26:48 AM
what team did you play for up in darwin? I played for palmerston for a year a couple of years ago, i loved playing cricket up there
I played for Darwin CC (Eagles), our home ground down is down at Kahlin Oval. Loved running into the nets there with Cullen Bay as the backdrop and having a laksa at Mindl Beach Mkt on Thursday nights after training  8)

Palmerston (Magpies) were the enemy at the time (1998-2002), not sure if the rivalry still exists. I must say I really loved the relaxed atmosphere of D Grade when I first started, all one day matches on a Sunday and Beers on from as soon as the last ball was bowled, often with the opposition and a BBQ. C and B were a bit more serious with more expectation on me in the nets to keep bowling to the A Graders because of my fitness and speed. We used to rotate alot of bowlers in the nets to the A Grade batsmen that had come up from South (which frustrated me) but it had to be done to make sure the quality fringe talent from South had a chance to get better and also strengthen our comp too.

We lived at Palmerston for a while in 'The Chase' and really enjoyed it.

PowerBug

Well well well, today was an absolute diasater. From last week the other team was 0/74 chasing out 109 and with 72 overs to get the runs, us winning was never going to happen. To make matters worse we only had 9 players >:(

They batted until halfway, declaring on 3/208. So we only needed to bat out 34 overs with 9 players to avoid an outright defeat. Did we do it?? No :( all out for 63 just after halfway. I myself though, batted from the start to the finish ending on 32* :D Very happy with the way i played but wished that we had another 2 players coz i felt like there was a fifty out there for me :(

So we start the season with an outright loss.

pothead

only got to play Under 16s yesterday as B grade got called off but we batted and i opened and made a slow 18 then got caught 2 balls before drinks

cookie311993

Played div 2 yesterday and we had a tie. Came to the crease at no.10 with the score at 8-115. Departed 8 overs  later witht he score on 9-200. I scored 31 off 28 , in a match defining partnership. Then bowled and got 1-24 off 8, bowling the death overs as well and picked up 1-8 in those 4 overs at the death

SAMCRO

Washout number 1 for the season.

Last year we had heaps, I batted a total of 9 times, including finals...

PowerBug

Had training last night, and it turns out that i'll be the permanent captain, as i filled in on Sunday and our old skip is no longer playing. Good for me, bad for the team ;D

Voldemort

What happened to your old skipper PB? Did you poison him  ;)

PowerBug

Quote from: Voldemort on October 30, 2011, 01:11:25 PM
What happened to your old skipper PB? Did you poison him  ;)
No, i didn't poison him, it's too hard for him to make all trainings. He'll probably play some games with us, but i'm captain :P Got me game in 1 hour.

Barlow 21

Play U14A and made 27 n.o and took 3/7. :)

PowerBug

We bowled first, got them out for 250~. We had this one end which an absolute dud, and no-one wanted to bowl from it, so i bowled myself to the tail; took a solid 1/11 off 4 overs with my slow left armers.

Then when batting we needed to survive 11 overs to make stumps. My partner fell LBW early, and the No. 3 was playing really well, i just sat at my end and blocked. Then the 10th over was bowled by a spinner, i faced the last ball, tried to cream the fielder under the helmet, ball went straight under it, clean bowled >:( Gone for 9.

I was so annoyed with myself, i was so stupid to play something like that so close to stumps. So next week we need another 212 starting from 2/38.

roo boys!

Voldemort

Quote from: PowerBug on October 30, 2011, 07:33:08 PM
We bowled first, got them out for 250~. We had this one end which an absolute dud, and no-one wanted to bowl from it, so i bowled myself to the tail; took a solid 1/11 off 4 overs with my slow left armers.

Then when batting we needed to survive 11 overs to make stumps. My partner fell LBW early, and the No. 3 was playing really well, i just sat at my end and blocked. Then the 10th over was bowled by a spinner, i faced the last ball, tried to cream the fielder under the helmet, ball went straight under it, clean bowled >:( Gone for 9.

I was so annoyed with myself, i was so stupid to play something like that so close to stumps. So next week we need another 212 starting from 2/38.

haha good luck Bug, you're going to need it  ;) 8) :P

roo boys!

Just got the call-up today to play in the 1st team for my school this week...very nervous, seeing as I'm in year 8 and the team is pretty much made up of all year 10 or 11 players. Gulp.