How is DT gonna work in 2011?

Started by shaydev, April 01, 2009, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaydev

After the official gold coast team is now announced, how will 2011 affect fastasy football? if a team has a buy everyweek what will the non playing players do? will they be zeros and bench players be used? do you know m0nty???

hibbo

yeah i've been wondering the same thing. Not sure what will happen, but it defs will be a problem. One team will have a bye and therefore u will cop a zero from anyone in that team.

maybe u will have 3 subs in each area so there is a higher chance u will be able to cover that zero...?

Prospector_1

Fantasy freako called for comment & suggestions on this last year.

A few people here are talking up ultimatefooty and one player drafts.

Would be worth a joint discussion b/w m0nty and Freako - anyone want to do the interview / debate?

Hawks_1976

This is actually an interesting talking point, there are a few options.
Increasing the bench is a good idea, but the salary cap will have to be stretched to allow for that.
I thought that an increased amount of trades could help too.

I'm not even sure how the draw will work?
If you have one team every week having a bye, what happens after R17?
Could the season be reduced to 17 weeks with a more extensive finals series?
It doesn't fit. I even thought of 23 rounds of H&A. If there was 3 byes a week, that 69 in total. 4 per team but there is one extra bye? Only 7 games a week, makes fantasy even harder, tv rights etc reduced. I don't know.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Banzai-

There will be one round in the year, probably around when the split round occurs now, where 11 teams will have byes  (only 3 games that week).

24 rounds = 24 byes
+ extra 10 byes in round 10 or whenever
= 34 byes = 2 each

Everyone still gets 22 games

That's how the used to do it before Freo came in anyway

Hawks_1976

Good call.
Makes perfect sense.
The split round. Why didn't I think of that?
Still worries me how the fantasy setup will work.
Will add another dynamic to the comps I suppose, which can only be healthy for it's "development"!

Prospector_1

From Freako's Round 19 rave last year...

"The AFL has guaranteed the Gold Coast will be entering the AFL in 2011. It’s a long way off but a 17-team competition
could spell the end for DT so I just thought I’d make you aware of the potential problems that could arise. For the first
time since 1994 there will be a bye every week in the AFL fixture and some weeks there will be more than one side
with a week off. I have thought briefly about ways we can get around this and here are a few:
• BIGGER SQUADS â€" Instead of a 30-man roster for each DT the salary cap is increased and coaches can
select an extra two players per position in their initial squads to cover the bye players.
• BYE PLAYERS SCORE THEIR AVERAGE â€" If Gary Ablett is averaging 100 per game, the week
Geelong has the bye the sides with him simply get 100 points.
• WEEKLY REPLACEMENTS â€" If St Kilda has the bye and you have Nick Dal Santo in your side and he
is worth $280,000 you can replace him for that week with any player worth the same or less than him.
• ADDITIONAL TRADES â€" The trade limit increases from 20 so that people can make more moves to
cover the players out with the bye each week.
• BAD LUCK â€" It’s up to the coach to pick an even side which can cover players out with the bye each week.
It makes it tougher but will reward the shrewder coaches who can think ahead.
Of course these are just some options that I have come up with and each has its positives and negatives. There is
basically 30 months to come up with a solution so it’ll be interesting to see what outcome is implemented."

shaydev

well they are all very interesting outcomes prospector, lets hope that it wont be too tampered with. If any one has any good ideas lets hear them!

Wheeler

i think ive figured out the afl fixtures problem. at the end of the day the afl wont have a hell of a lot of say in it. the mcg,scg and the gabba are contracted to their respective state cricket teams and therefore cant be used earlier or later than they currently are and the tv channel with the rights to the afl wont want to shorten the length of the season, so the afl season will still go 4 22 rounds plus 4 weeks of finals and 4 weeks of preseason. there will be 16 rounds where 1 team has a bye (8 games) and 6 rounds where 3 teams will have a bye (7 games) so each team ends up having 2 byes.

i cant figure out what the fantasy comps will do though. the only thing i can think of is that they will keep the 30 player squad and each team can have a maximum of 140 games played by defenders and forwards, 120 games played by midfielders and 40 games played by the rucks throughout the whole season. this would mean they prob have 2 get rid of the head to head stuff, but im not a fan of that anyway.

Prospector_1

NOOOooooo.....,

I love the head to head live scoring. Highlight of the weekend

Jesterface

not a fan of head to head?!?!?!
this obviously means you don't have friends who do dream team.
I'm in 2 leagues where i personally know every single other coach.. There is nothing better than beating your mate and giving him shower about it all week long!

daddsy404

Any thoughts about what the people at virtual sports are going to do with the extra team coming in to the afl and thus the bye?
Maybe an extended bench is what im thinking, anyone else got any ideas?

Master Q

Can we talk about this later? ;D

daddsy404

haha well im pretty curious Q, its an interesting question

Prospector_1

Search the site, there was a lot of discussion last year. When you've read all that, see what you reckon.