How is DT gonna work in 2011?

Started by shaydev, April 01, 2009, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

korza

I'm with you here MQ, got to concentrate on this year b4 2011

Master Q

Ok, how about we move the conversation to there, i'll post there and prospector you lock this thread and move the old thread to the DT General Section if not there.

Master Q

Quote from: Wheeler on April 02, 2009, 09:20:38 AM
i think ive figured out the afl fixtures problem. at the end of the day the afl wont have a hell of a lot of say in it. the mcg,scg and the gabba are contracted to their respective state cricket teams and therefore cant be used earlier or later than they currently are and the tv channel with the rights to the afl wont want to shorten the length of the season, so the afl season will still go 4 22 rounds plus 4 weeks of finals and 4 weeks of preseason. there will be 16 rounds where 1 team has a bye (8 games) and 6 rounds where 3 teams will have a bye (7 games) so each team ends up having 2 byes.

i cant figure out what the fantasy comps will do though. the only thing i can think of is that they will keep the 30 player squad and each team can have a maximum of 140 games played by defenders and forwards, 120 games played by midfielders and 40 games played by the rucks throughout the whole season. this would mean they prob have 2 get rid of the head to head stuff, but im not a fan of that anyway.

What about more then 8 games a week to solve that problem? Monday Night Games? Will mean that we will need another stadium up north and maybe even another channel for games?

jr0ck88

Quote from: Master Q on April 06, 2010, 02:46:48 AM
i think ive figured out the afl fixtures problem. at the end of the day the afl wont have a hell of a lot of say in it. the mcg,scg and the gabba are contracted to their respective state cricket teams and therefore cant be used earlier or later than they currently are and the tv channel with the rights to the afl wont want to shorten the length of the season, so the afl season will still go 4 22 rounds plus 4 weeks of finals and 4 weeks of preseason. there will be 16 rounds where 1 team has a bye (8 games) and 6 rounds where 3 teams will have a bye (7 games) so each team ends up having 2 byes.

i cant figure out what the fantasy comps will do though. the only thing i can think of is that they will keep the 30 player squad and each team can have a maximum of 140 games played by defenders and forwards, 120 games played by midfielders and 40 games played by the rucks throughout the whole season. this would mean they prob have 2 get rid of the head to head stuff, but im not a fan of that anyway.

What about more then 8 games a week to solve that problem? Monday Night Games? Will mean that we will need another stadium up north and maybe even another channel for games?

Cant have 8 games a week in 2011 (17 teams), but they will in 2012.   

The fixture seems to be the main problem. I have another idea - Regular 22 Round season, however, Gold Coast doesnt enter the competition until Round 7.  Rounds 1-6 will be played as per usual. From Round 7 (inclusive)  each of the teams will take their turn to have a bye, and each team will play the Gold Coast once. This wont be fair on the Gold Coast in terms of winning a premiership, though it will give them signifcant time to prepare for the AFL. It may be the only way to maintain an even competition for the established teams.

As for fantasy, this idea holds some merit. Teams will only have 1 bye each, making it fairly easy to manage your team even with only 2 reserves in each position. I mean, it will become important to structure your team without having say 3 Geelong players in your backline so you can cover the outs. Also, with Gold Coast coming in after round 6, it will help stop people having teams full of cash cows. Because really, you could load up on players like Brandon Matera, Maverick Weller, Charlie Dixon, David Swallow who will probably all start at 80-90k, as well as the 2010 draftees,  and have a decent . You'll still be able to downgrade for these players at round 7  (round 9 more likely, jst before price increases) which is usually when people start downgrading their cows anyway.

Any other thoughts?  I bet Demitreiou loses sleep over this too!

ossie85

Really don't think that will work for the GC!

Just do what they use to do in the 15 team comp, have a round where heaps of teams have a bye. Problem solved

Master Q

Quote from: jr0ck88 on April 07, 2010, 12:53:51 PM
Quote from: Master Q on April 06, 2010, 02:46:48 AM

Cant have 8 games a week in 2011 (17 teams), but they will in 2012.   

The fixture seems to be the main problem. I have another idea - Regular 22 Round season, however, Gold Coast doesnt enter the competition until Round 7.  Rounds 1-6 will be played as per usual. From Round 7 (inclusive)  each of the teams will take their turn to have a bye, and each team will play the Gold Coast once. This wont be fair on the Gold Coast in terms of winning a premiership, though it will give them signifcant time to prepare for the AFL. It may be the only way to maintain an even competition for the established teams.

As for fantasy, this idea holds some merit. Teams will only have 1 bye each, making it fairly easy to manage your team even with only 2 reserves in each position. I mean, it will become important to structure your team without having say 3 Geelong players in your backline so you can cover the outs. Also, with Gold Coast coming in after round 6, it will help stop people having teams full of cash cows. Because really, you could load up on players like Brandon Matera, Maverick Weller, Charlie Dixon, David Swallow who will probably all start at 80-90k, as well as the 2010 draftees,  and have a decent . You'll still be able to downgrade for these players at round 7  (round 9 more likely, jst before price increases) which is usually when people start downgrading their cows anyway.

Any other thoughts?  I bet Demitreiou loses sleep over this too!
You can play more then 8 teams a week, a few teams play more then 1 game? Of course players will get more tired but you can extend team lists to let's say 40 instead of 35...

eaglesman

Geee :( read through all this information and :( DT looks very complicated in 2011..

I think the AFL should make the Gold Coast wait until GWS enters the league to avoid all these problems for DT :D.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: eaglesman on April 08, 2010, 12:42:53 PM
Geee :( read through all this information and :( DT looks very complicated in 2011..

I think the AFL should make the Gold Coast wait until GWS enters the league to avoid all these problems for DT :D.
couldn't off put more simplier ;D. they really need to think about their fantasy coaches out there >:(

Master Q

Quote from: Hellopplz on April 08, 2010, 12:44:25 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on April 08, 2010, 12:42:53 PM

couldn't off put more simplier ;D. they really need to think about their fantasy coaches out there >:(
That's Me!  :D

locknload

I really dont get why people think it's such a big deal.. basically only one team has a by each week. It just means you can no longer rely on filling up your team with ABC in the midfield and things like that.. it forces us to rely on all the teams (and every team has a gun i mean how many people picked up brad green this year..) and also work the salary cap a bit better.. you would need to really think about whos on your bench so you can rely on them when you need to. Ive played for the last couple of years and while the access to so much information like this site and others.. plus herald sun and their black books and blogs in really great its eliminated the sense of variety found amongst the teams. With the new team and the bye it will make strategy soooo much more better and would require the person to actually think who they should.. wether its worth getting that extra gun in the position or going for a mid pricer so that the guy on your bench is decent as well. I say stick with it the way it is and it will really seperate the men from the boys..

this has been a psa from locknload

ossie85

Ah, but will there be only 1 bye per round?

Every team has to have two byes, so some rounds might have 3 teams with a bye, or there could be a round with 9 or 11 byes or something similar.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on April 10, 2010, 04:46:25 AM

Every team has to have two byes, so some rounds might have 3 teams with a bye, or there could be a round with 9 or 11 byes or something similar.
it won't be easy but i reckon most of the rounds will have 1 bye and some middle rounds will have 2 byes (to rest teams) each week.

think 9 or 11 byes is a little too big of an exaggeration.

ossie85

Quote from: Hellopplz on April 10, 2010, 05:23:44 AM

it won't be easy but i reckon most of the rounds will have 1 bye and some middle rounds will have 2 byes (to rest teams) each week.

Maybe too young for you whipper-snappers to remember, but that's exactly what they did in the 15-team comp. All 1 bye rounds and one round with a feckload (I think it was 9) of byes.

Also, it would be hard to have rounds with only 2 byes! Think you might have an issue with that :)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on April 10, 2010, 06:30:14 AM
Quote from: Hellopplz on April 10, 2010, 05:23:44 AM

Maybe too young for you whipper-snappers to remember, but that's exactly what they did in the 15-team comp. All 1 bye rounds and one round with a feckload (I think it was 9) of byes.

Also, it would be hard to have rounds with only 2 byes! Think you might have an issue with that :)
meant 3 byes :P. maybe they wouldn't count the weeks with the excessive byes?