2021 Forwards

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabretooth Tigers

:)

Thanks enz, Think I'll sit on this one, pending injuries, until Rd.1 selection night/ Fit and firing and in the midfield I think Danger is a good selection. Cheers and best of luck.

;)

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on February 20, 2021, 01:20:19 AM
::)

Currently looking at

Dangerfield,  Dusty,  Rozee,  Ziebell,  Daniher,  Impey    //  Rowe,  Spicer.

This set up enables me to run three rookies only on field, all of which are in defence And if we have a nightmare of a selection night for Rd,1 I can make it zero by downgrading Danger to Caldwell, which of course I really don't want to do but at least I have already planned options if the worst happens. This latest option would still give me 9 prem keepers plus Rowell, Taranto and Rozee as chances. Think we should all have a team planned for the worst possible outcome just in case. Planning for the worst whilst hoping for the best, sounds like a great explanation of what playing SC is like.

;)

Strongest I've seen, and closest to what I like.

Mine is one piece weaker:

Dusty, Rozee, Ziebell, Daniher, Impey, Campbell // Rowe, Spicer

(That's because my lack of confidence in the defensive Rookies is seeing me overspend with five defensive keepers :-\)

Sabretooth Tigers

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 20, 2021, 11:38:24 PM
Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on February 20, 2021, 01:20:19 AM
::)

Currently looking at

Dangerfield,  Dusty,  Rozee,  Ziebell,  Daniher,  Impey    //  Rowe,  Spicer.

This set up enables me to run three rookies only on field, all of which are in defence And if we have a nightmare of a selection night for Rd,1 I can make it zero by downgrading Danger to Caldwell, which of course I really don't want to do but at least I have already planned options if the worst happens. This latest option would still give me 9 prem keepers plus Rowell, Taranto and Rozee as chances. Think we should all have a team planned for the worst possible outcome just in case. Planning for the worst whilst hoping for the best, sounds like a great explanation of what playing SC is like.

;)

Strongest I've seen, and closest to what I like.

Mine is one piece weaker:

Dusty, Rozee, Ziebell, Daniher, Impey, Campbell // Rowe, Spicer

(That's because my lack of confidence in the defensive Rookies is seeing me overspend with five defensive keepers :-\)

:)

Thanks for the comments cd, would like to start this lline. Have L Jones, J Wehr, W Gould //  Highmore and Chugg in defence. But can mend things by a midfield downgrade if necessary. Just waiting for selection night now. Cheers and best of luck.

;)

enzedder

Rozee foot injury needing to be managed has seen me ditch him from my team.
As I don’t like any other options around his price I’ve ditched another mid price option (Milera) to bring in a gun and a rookie.
Luke Ryan and Fullarton are placeholders at the moment.

crowls

Quote from: enzedder on February 27, 2021, 07:20:11 AM
As I don’t like any other options around his price I’ve ditched another mid price option (Milera) to bring in a gun and a rookie.
better option than two punts on milera and rozee nz.   think it is an upgrade

Mat0369

Rayner could have a Trac like breakout this year. Apparently played predominantly midfield in the practice match and dominated. I still need to see his fitness levels are up to pick him but he could be a nice mid price option

RoughRed

Quote from: enzedder on February 27, 2021, 07:20:11 AM
FYI Luke Ryan had knee to the back in todays scratch match v wce! Did not return to the field and no post match running.

Wait for official comments tomorrow

bowyanger

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 28, 2021, 01:15:03 AM
Rayner could have a Trac like breakout this year. Apparently played predominantly midfield in the practice match and dominated. I still need to see his fitness levels are up to pick him but he could be a nice mid price option
Picking players on pre season form has bitten me many times and I want to say I have learnt to ignore it

buuttt.....

Ive been watching Rayner closely and have been tempted to pick him the last 2 years - glad I didnt

The lions have some serious midfield depth, unless theres an injury I cant see Rayner playing mid >50% ToG

Zorko, CEY, Berry, Neale, McLuggage, Robbo, Lyons , even Bailey rolled through a couple of times last year.

I dont have the Kahunas to start him, but will be watching his form very closely the 1st few rounds

Ringo

Quote from: bowyanger on March 03, 2021, 09:56:56 AM
Picking players on pre season form has bitten me many times and I want to say I have learnt to ignore it

buuttt.....

Ive been watching Rayner closely and have been tempted to pick him the last 2 years - glad I didnt

The lions have some serious midfield depth, unless theres an injury I cant see Rayner playing mid >50% ToG

Zorko, CEY, Berry, Neale, McLuggage, Robbo, Lyons , even Bailey rolled through a couple of times last year.

I dont have the Kahunas to start him, but will be watching his form very closely the 1st few rounds
Like you I have been burned by Rayner and each year saying this could be his break out year.

Zorko I suspect will not rotate as much through mids given his training is being managed because of a lingering injury requiring management, Robbo and CEY may not be in best 22 this year with Ely Smith finally having a full pre-season. 

Will watch the first few games and if Rayner spends considerable time in mids may reassess but think Rayner and Bailey based on pre-season will share time.

Hoggyz_a_legend

Quote from: Ringo on March 03, 2021, 10:55:15 AM

buuttt.....

Like you I have been burned by Rayner and each year saying this could be his break out year.

Zorko I suspect will not rotate as much through mids given his training is being managed because of a lingering injury requiring management, Robbo and CEY may not be in best 22 this year with Ely Smith finally having a full pre-season. 

Will watch the first few games and if Rayner spends considerable time in mids may reassess but think Rayner and Bailey based on pre-season will share time.

Hey Ringo, what do you think Smith's chances are of getting regular games?

Ringo

Quote from: Hoggyz_a_legend on March 03, 2021, 11:17:18 AM

buuttt.....

Hey Ringo, what do you think Smith's chances are of getting regular games?
I believe if named for Rd 1 it will be his position to lose.  Expect him to be named on interchange bench or replacing Robbo on the wing where he played in the intra club and practice match.  He has built up well in the off season,

Mat0369

buuttt.....

Agreed, you don't pick players off one or two pre-season games. Having said that, you need to take into account the role change and how that will impact their scoring. I really want to watch the Lions pre-season game to see if they're committed to using him as a clearance player. He was looked at as a Dusty/Trac type player that had power, could burst out of stoppages and hit the scoreboard. He hasn't put it together yet and is heading into his 4th season now. Guys typically break out in season 5 so it may be a year early.

Looking at his scoring history his 2019 was absolutely putrid and a lot of that had to do with his fitness and ability to run. He had quite a lot of dud scores last year as well. He had 6 scores 60 and under, 2 tons (3 total in his career) and the rest was a mixed bag. That tends to be the case with guys playing that small forward role. The main thing I want to see is that his fitness base has increased. One thing that attracted me to starting with Petracca last year is how fit he was. He was applying a ton of pressure in the midfield and getting to contest after contest. If Rayner looks this fit he will be really tempting.

This is from his interview on SEN. I don't think it's due to injury, it's management and age.

QuoteZorko spoke in depth on SEN this week about his new role & challenges for the upcoming season.

“Every player would have to analyse their game at the end of the year & find out what they can do better to help the team.”

“That’s certainly the phase that I’m really looking at my game at the moment, obviously as you get older you look at what’s best for the team & where you can see yourself playing.”

“Obviously for me I’m going to be spending a lot more time forward given the depth of the midfield we have & our younger players coming forward (in experience).”

“Me along with Jed Adcock our forwards coach will be working at what areas I can do in the forward line, whether that be more of a leadership role down there given that I’ve spent a lot of time in the midfield but now coming down forward really trying to take ownership of that forward line along with Charlie Cameron & Eric Hipwood.”

“For me, even being the captain it’s important that you continuously work on your leading skills & being put in different situations & working through different areas.”

Mat0369

Also from that same Zorko interview

Quote“I’d love to see him higher up the ground, I think he has so much to offer.”

“He’s obviously worked extremely hard in the last 18 months on getting his body in the best shape possible, he ran a personal best in the time trials this year.”

“He looks really fit” Dayne Zorko

Rayner was used at 20.7% of Brisbane centre bounces last season, importantly he recorded centre bounce usage in every game that he played.

Zorko was bullish on the impact Rayner has through the middle of the ground & expects a significant increase in usage this season.

“At times last year he played in the midfield & looked really damaging, we’re hoping those minutes can at least double from what I’ve seen so far.”

“He’s certainly putting himself in that bracket to spend a lot of time in that midfield.” Zorko added.

Mat0369

And Dunkley owners beware of of Beveridge playing him anywhere but the midfield.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-josh-dunkley-essendon-trade-request-luke-beveridge-says-spot-not-secure/news-story/38d363c3fdcee0300db4684930b57737

A major reason behind Dunkley’s request to join Essendon was to play more midfield minutes after spending more time in the forward line â€" and occasionally in the ruck â€" at the Bulldogs in 2020.

And Dunkley might struggle to win more on-ball time in 2021, considering the Bulldogs acquired star Adam Treloar from the Magpies to join a midfield group that already includes Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith and Tom Liberatore.

“He’s not at his best at the moment, as far as his production on the ground. He didn’t play his best game against Hawthorn, so he’s fully aware that there’s pressure for game time in any role in our time.

“Every year, you endeavour to bolster your list, ensure its healthy, create new levels of competitiveness â€" and that’s what we’ve been able to do bringing Adam in and keeping Josh â€" so, there’s still pressure on for his spot and the role that he plays. He understands that and he’ll be treated the same as every other player.

“His teammates adore him, he’s always had close connections â€" as much as (the trade request) was a bit of a head-scratcher. We’re in a good place with it.”

IntegralX

JDG at 435k anyone? Looked excellent last night, is this the year he finally puts it all together like Petracca last year? Interchange cap means he’s all but guaranteed to spend much more time in the middle.

Could be a real big POD, but I’ll have to see how Caldwell goes first before I go searching for the cash.