2018 Off Season (list changes and trade rumours)

Started by Ricochet, August 29, 2018, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowls

Quote from: enzedder on September 26, 2018, 06:13:17 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 26, 2018, 10:59:59 AM
Dean Kent has requested a trade. St Kilda have offered 3 years

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-s-dean-kent-wants-to-be-a-saint-20180925-p505zp.html
Dean Who?
63 games in 6 years. Yawn.
Hamstring troubles. Quick. Been there with Freeman. OK.
Career best season averageof 16 possies. Lovely.
Saints want him.
SOLD!
Kent and Hanners at the Saints = finals in 2019. Maybe not.
Who needs to rid themselves of muppets, the Saints will offer them 3-5 years.
not sure the saints have a clear picture of what is required to build depth in their list.    sad to watch.

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: crowls on September 28, 2018, 10:34:26 PM

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-s-dean-kent-wants-to-be-a-saint-20180925-p505zp.html
Dean Who?
Saints want him.
SOLD!
not sure the saints have a clear picture of what is required to build depth in their list.    sad to watch.
it's not like we're bringing Kent in as the savior. he's a cheap pick up with AFL experience. so what if he turns out to be a bust. slight risk for potentially bigger reward

Hanners is a gun. I read something like "there's a handful of players currently playing with top 3 brownlow finishes, Hannebery is the youngest". sure he's had some injuries, and he almost definitely won't get back to his best but he'll be a damn good teacher for the young ones. we have no one on our list with his knowledge and experience. and he actually wants to play for us. it's a no brainer. we won't be using our first pick on him so we'll still put that to good use, be it a trade or used in the draft

it's damned if we do, damned if we don't to some people

crowls

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on September 29, 2018, 01:34:59 AM

Dean Who?
Saints want him.
SOLD!
it's not like we're bringing Kent in as the savior. he's a cheap pick up with AFL experience. so what if he turns out to be a bust. slight risk for potentially bigger reward

Hanners is a gun. I read something like "there's a handful of players currently playing with top 3 brownlow finishes, Hannebery is the youngest". sure he's had some injuries, and he almost definitely won't get back to his best but he'll be a damn good teacher for the young ones. we have no one on our list with his knowledge and experience. and he actually wants to play for us. it's a no brainer. we won't be using our first pick on him so we'll still put that to good use, be it a trade or used in the draft

so what else do you see is required for the saints to move forward?   in regard to hanners it seems you are paying well over value, is that the best use of funds?

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: crowls on September 29, 2018, 01:49:38 AM

Dean Who?
Saints want him.
SOLD!

so what else do you see is required for the saints to move forward?   in regard to hanners it seems you are paying well over value, is that the best use of funds?
probably a few things. a few of our guys are unknowns because they haven't got game time. will Austin be able to hold down full back this year if Brown doesn't play?

if Paddy can get himself fit and stop smashing his head that will go a long way to improving his confidence in himself

Bruce hopefully fit and firing

I think our forward line is okay. we need midfield class, pace would be good. obviously Hanners won't help with that but he might take some of the focus off Steven and maybe Steven will go nuts

a classy midfielder with pace isn't something that's on offer right now (that I can think of)

we have a ton of cash just waiting to be used. that's why we can offer massive overs. I think we're offering Shiel 1.3 mill over 7 years or something, but that's what we have to do to get players over atm. who's gonna request a trade to St Kilda after the year we just had for the same amount of cash they could get elsewhere

Ringo

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on September 29, 2018, 02:06:31 AM

Dean Who?
Saints want him.
SOLD!

probably a few things. a few of our guys are unknowns because they haven't got game time. will Austin be able to hold down full back this year if Brown doesn't play?

if Paddy can get himself fit and stop smashing his head that will go a long way to improving his confidence in himself

I think our forward line is okay. we need midfield class, pace would be good. obviously Hanners won't help with that but he might take some of the focus off Steven and maybe Steven will go nuts

a classy midfielder with pace isn't something that's on offer right now (that I can think of)

we have a ton of cash just waiting to be used. that's why we can offer massive overs. I think we're offering Shiel 1.3 mill over 7 years or something, but that's what we have to do to get players over atm. who's gonna request a trade to St Kilda after the year we just had for the same amount of cash they could get elsewhere
This in my opinion is where free agency etc falls down. Whilst it is designed to even the competition teams at the lower end of the table usually have to pay overs to get the players.  This something the AFL should look a but not sure what can be done as the higher placed clubs will continue to be the preferred destinations.

Rusty00

Quote from: Ringo on September 29, 2018, 09:25:19 AM
Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on September 29, 2018, 02:06:31 AM

Dean Who?
Saints want him.
SOLD!

This in my opinion is where free agency etc falls down. Whilst it is designed to even the competition teams at the lower end of the table usually have to pay overs to get the players.  This something the AFL should look a but not sure what can be done as the higher placed clubs will continue to be the preferred destinations.
Free agency is for the players. It was brought in to give players freedom to move clubs (not that having a contract stops them these days). Whether we like it or not free agency is never going to “even up the Comp”.

Menzel Washington

Would Adelaide's two first round picks (7 and 15) plus McGovern get them pick 1?

In terms of how much value each pick has pick 1 is 3,000 points, 7 is 1,644 and 15 is 1,112 so total points of 2,756. I've seen people saying it will be a straight trade of pick 24 for McGovern, and pick 24 has a value of 785. So really McGovern plus the two picks for pick 1 is an even trade??

TomK

Quote from: Menzel Washington on September 30, 2018, 06:54:33 PM
Would Adelaide's two first round picks (7 and 15) plus McGovern get them pick 1?

In terms of how much value each pick has pick 1 is 3,000 points, 7 is 1,644 and 15 is 1,112 so total points of 2,756. I've seen people saying it will be a straight trade of pick 24 for McGovern, and pick 24 has a value of 785. So really McGovern plus the two picks for pick 1 is an even trade??
nty

Mat0369

It will be 8 (Lynch FA compo) and possibly 17 (pending Polec compo to Port) which drops the value a fraction more. I think if pick 1 is involved for McGovern that is still the likely deal.

I think the Blues will want to use pick 1 for the Shiel trade if he nominates us. You're likely to see pick 1 and our 2nd next year for Shiel, Setterfield and the Giants first next year or 23 this year and their 2nd next season. So basically an early 2nd for Setterfield and then 1 for Shiel and the Giants first next year if they bank themselves on finishing at the back end. We may take a salary dump to get a discount in the deal as well.

No priority pick will leave us a little light in the trade department now. If Shiel decides to stay at GWS that probably helps us out as we have enough ammo to get all our deals over the line. We could then make that trade for pick 1, trade back up using our picks to grab say pick 2 from GCS and still get Walsh.

If it came down to one of Shiel or McGovern I'd rather Shiel. However he may be available as a FA next year and won't cost us any draft capital meaning that McGovern is the guy they grab this season.

Menzel Washington

Quote from: Mat0369 on September 30, 2018, 08:16:02 PM

It will be 8 (Lynch FA compo) and possibly 17 (pending Polec compo to Port) which drops the value a fraction more. I think if pick 1 is involved for McGovern that is still the likely deal.

I think the Blues will want to use pick 1 for the Shiel trade if he nominates us. You're likely to see pick 1 and our 2nd next year for Shiel, Setterfield and the Giants first next year or 23 this year and their 2nd next season. So basically an early 2nd for Setterfield and then 1 for Shiel and the Giants first next year if they bank themselves on finishing at the back end. We may take a salary dump to get a discount in the deal as well.

No priority pick will leave us a little light in the trade department now. If Shiel decides to stay at GWS that probably helps us out as we have enough ammo to get all our deals over the line. We could then make that trade for pick 1, trade back up using our picks to grab say pick 2 from GCS and still get Walsh.

If it came down to one of Shiel or McGovern I'd rather Shiel. However he may be available as a FA next year and won't cost us any draft capital meaning that McGovern is the guy they grab this season.
Ah yeah forgot about the compo picks. That's a good point. But surely the Crows are going to go hard to try and get that number 1 pick with the SA talent available in this draft they need to get at least one of them and at pick 8 that won't be good enough for Lukosius or Rankine.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out...

enzedder

Wingard is set to stay at Port Adelaide according to the HS

RaisyDaisy

Gary Rohan will go to Geelong only, or stay in Sydney

Jacob Townsend is looking to move, with Saints and GC interested

Lobb is returning to WA - either this year or next year but it's happening

Collingwood looking at Marcus Adams

Money Shot

I'm pretty confident that Carlton won't trade pick 1 even if it's for Shiel let alone McGovern. From all reports we want Walsh.

Next years first and second for Shiel and Setterfield
and then pick up some SANFL guys and swap 24 and 25 and hopefully thats enough to land McGovern

RaisyDaisy

Barlow isn't ready to retire yet, and is hoping he can be picked up

He actually said Carlton would be a good fit, and that he could help Cripps in terms of taking some of the load, plus provide leadership etc

AaronKirk

Am I the only impartial person who thinks Carlton should not go for Mitch McGovern?

Keep developing McKay, Curnow as forwards and use your currency you have to go after mids to help Cripps.

Surely midfield quality players like Shiel are a higher priority for Carlton?