Australia VS South Africa 4 Test Series

Started by Levi434, March 01, 2018, 03:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaker

Quote from: Levi434 on March 29, 2018, 11:48:42 AM
Good to finally hear from Boof and his prepared statements. Glad he had the guts to come out and show us all that he is an arrogant, selfish pr1ck.
This was a perfect time to make Justin Langer coach , opportunity missed.

BB67th

Quote from: Koop on March 28, 2018, 09:45:23 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on March 28, 2018, 08:42:59 PM
Wow is there 8 matches in Aus this summer? Who's getting a double up?

Quick correction Levi fairly sure it's two tests in Zimbabwe, could be wrong though.

@PB. No one doubles up. Bangladesh come in July, so while not confirmed, I'd suspect Darwin/Nth QLD to get a long-awaited return to test cricket.

Judging by when the teams are here, I'd suggest this is whats happening.

India
1st test @ Gabba
2nd test (possible D/N depending on BCCI) @ Adelaide Oval
3rd test @ Optus Stadium
4th test @ MCG

SL
1st test @ SCG
2n test @ Manuka

Will be the first time I can think of that the Boxing Day & NY's test are against different opponents.

Pretty sure the Bangladesh July test series is still pending and unlikely to go head based on some media reports I read a while back. But wouldn't test cricket be great in July!

On a different note, let's all be happy for Tim Paine! One of cricket's genuinely nice guys, and thoroughly deserves the test captaincy (even without the events of the last week).

Purple 77

Levi434

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 29, 2018, 09:25:37 PM
That Smith presser is a must watch.

Agreed. I'm very proud of Steve Smith's press conference. Don't think he could have handled it better.
Bancroft much the same. Spoke well. Said some really good things.
Lehmann I'm not ready to forgive just yet. But I was happy with his press conference despite him swearing.
Warner I was happy with the way he handled it. A lot will be read into it but if anyone accuses him of hiding behind his family then shame on them.

Torpedo10

Quote from: Levi434 on March 30, 2018, 12:40:02 AM
Quote from: Purple 77 on March 29, 2018, 09:25:37 PM
That Smith presser is a must watch.

Agreed. I'm very proud of Steve Smith's press conference. Don't think he could have handled it better.
Bancroft much the same. Spoke well. Said some really good things.
Lehmann I'm not ready to forgive just yet. But I was happy with his press conference despite him swearing.
Warner I was happy with the way he handled it. A lot will be read into it but if anyone accuses him of hiding behind his family then shame on them.
You can't forgive Lehmann, but Warner is okay in your eyes?

Ultimately, it was under Smith's watch as he mentioned but Warner being second in command and coming up with & training Bancroft leaves him with the greater influence of what occurred.

Koop

crowls

Quote from: Koop on March 30, 2018, 03:44:44 PM
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/mickey-arthur-truth-about-aussie-cricket-culture/#mgurWPbc5Ve1USOt.97

Brilliant article from Mickey Arthur, absolutely a must-read.
Spot on,  culture does not eventuate or change over night.  Australia has been going down this path for a while.   Also well done to Steve Smith at his presser.  Hope he copes with the time out ok.     

Well and truly time for boof to move on.    Also time for CA to have a change of leadership, they have stood by and watched this happen under there noses.

Levi434

What did we think of Warner's presser?

I was very happy with what he said. I'm glad he didn't throw anyone under the bus when he probably could. I thought the questions were quite unfair and they were very hostile towards him. Regardless of what he said he would be getting crucified by the media so this is the best of the scenarios.

Levi434

Alright time to revamp the team. I like these 2 as a basis.

1. Matt Renshaw
2. Travis Head
3. Hilton Cartwright
4. Peter Handscomb
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Tim Paine
7. Pat Cummins
8. Mitchell Starc
9. James Pattinson
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

1. Matt Renshaw
2. Travis Head
3. Hilton Cartwright
4. Peter Handscomb
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Marcus Stionis
7. Tim Paine
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

What do we think? Ideally I think Australia need to dominate with their bowling as it doesn't seem like it'll happen with their batting. I'm a fan of playing 5 bowlers, but it could be too much.

PowerBug

I don't think Mitch Marsh should be dropped. Nor is Head an opening batsman in the long form. There is a serious gap in the openers position so I think the next tests will still be Renshaw and Burns, but Bancroft will return to the side, maybe Dan Hughes is a bolter to keep the NSW quota up.

Actually, this will make a good competition for us to run on here. Pick the fist XI for the first India test :P

Gigantor

Mitch Marsh will stay, Cartwright and Stoinis have been poor in the long form this season

PowerBug

Koop

1. Matt Renshaw
2. Daniel Hughes
3. Travis Head
4. Ash Turner
5. Mitch Marsh
6. Tim Paine (c)
7. Alex Carey (wk)
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Pat Cummins
10. Jhye Richardson
11. Nathan Lyon

I just can't shake this feelign that one of the fast bowling cartel won't be there to start next summer, whether through injury, mental reasons or just a huge form slump, could be entirely wrong though.

Im also predicting a significant shift towards WA/QLD players along with the NSW players in the team. I know this already exists, but it'll be even more apparent with Langer in charge and Chappell still pulling the NPS strings.

PowerBug

Quote from: Levi434 on March 28, 2018, 08:40:44 PM
Since no one cares about ODIs and T20's here are the Test matches Smith+Warner will miss if this 12 month ban is true.

1 match Away to Zimbabwe
2 matches Home VS Bangladesh
4 matches Home VS India
2 matches Home VS Sri Lanka
3 matches Away to Pakistan

12 total matches. I would be happy with a 4-8 record from those without Smith and Warner. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia only won 2 or 3 here.

Quote from: Koop on March 28, 2018, 09:45:23 PM
@PB. No one doubles up. Bangladesh come in July, so while not confirmed, I'd suspect Darwin/Nth QLD to get a long-awaited return to test cricket.

Judging by when the teams are here, I'd suggest this is whats happening.

India
1st test @ Gabba
2nd test (possible D/N depending on BCCI) @ Adelaide Oval
3rd test @ Optus Stadium
4th test @ MCG

SL
1st test @ SCG
2n test @ Manuka

Will be the first time I can think of that the Boxing Day & NY's test are against different opponents.

So I'm looking at trying to find as much info on this as possible. This is the document I found dated November 2014 of all series scheduled from that moment until the 2019 WC. Doesn't allow for an away Zimbabwe AND a home Bangladesh though, as there's the away series in England in June for ODIs.

Also looking at this, and remembering the words that have been mentioned previously regarding stadium allotments, wouldn't surprise me if this was the home schedule:
India: Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney
Sri Lanka: Brisbane, Camberra

Been words that Brisbane may get relegated because they now have the 5th best stadium in the country, so wouldn't surprise me if they got given a January test against Sri Lanka instead. Also I don't think Sydney will be happy with a Sri Lanka test given they probably have the 2nd most influence on games outside of the MCG.

Edit: and Paine just said the next series for them is Pakistan in the UAE, so god knows what the schedule really is. But something that was written out 4 years ago is unlikely to still be perfect as things change so much, at least a new schedule should be written up soon which will give some clarity for 2019 and beyond

BB67th

Well our batting definitely looks thin now. I'd expect to see Cartwright back in the team for sure, Stoinis a good chance to play as well.

I think Marnus Labuschagne was the top run scorer in the shield this summer, at an average under 40, so that puts our batting situation into perspective.