Main Menu

2018 off-season

Started by Money Shot, October 02, 2017, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Money Shot

I'm looking really forward to this offseason.

Devon Smith and Matthew Kennedy are all but signed at Carlton from what I've heard and they would both probably be best 22 players and add midfield depth as well as be key players for many years to come. We have also, in previous years made some really good deals for the GWS recruits and I think pick 38 is about right for what we would give up.

From what I've seen/heard Tom Rockliff is set to go to either port or Carlton (with port slightly in front at this stage) and again he would add some class and depth to our midfield. Hopefully we can get him as a free agent as we have the salary space to do so and I think Brissy would get pick 19 if he did infact leave as a free agent which would probably be better than what clubs would trade for him and also would help them land Charlie Cameron.

We have also signed key players and look to be building a club that players want to come too and Gibbs is looking like he wants to stay as well which is good considering he is our best player in my opinion anyways.

Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Rocky, Smith and Curnow would be a pretty hard midfield to beat with Kreuzer tapping it down to them.

Toga

Geez getting Smith & Kennedy for Pick 38 would be daylight robbery for the Blues

GoLions

Quote from: Toga on October 02, 2017, 12:20:10 PM
Geez getting Smith & Kennedy for Pick 38 would be daylight robbery for the Blues
I don't think that'd happen, as much as GWS love the Blues haha. 2nd rounder (21ish?) would still be robbery, but I'd say that'd be a good chance.

Toga

Quote from: GoLions on October 02, 2017, 12:23:04 PM
I don't think that'd happen, as much as GWS love the Blues haha. 2nd rounder (21ish?) would still be robbery, but I'd say that'd be a good chance.

Agreed.

Money Shot

Quote from: Toga on October 02, 2017, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: GoLions on October 02, 2017, 12:23:04 PM

Agreed.
Yeah maybe I am getting a little too optimistic haha.

Just looking at previous years...

1st Round Pick from Geelong, Pick 28, Pick 77 and Pick 95 for Lachie Plowman, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips  and Pick 8 is a pretty big win for us. Plowman is now a lock in our best 22 and is only getting better, Phillips is a really good back up ruckman to have for Kreuzer and would probably be the number one ruck in a few other sides, Sumner and Lamb we got for nothing pretty much and at the time they looked like they could've turned into something, Pick 8 later turned into Harry McKay who is still destintaned to be our forward of the future and we pretty much gave up two picks for them.

Geelong 2017 first round pick, pick 45, 58 and 135 for Jarrod Pickket, Caleb Marchbank, Rhys Palmer and GWS future second round pick. GWS played hard ball with Caleb Marchbank and said they wouldn't trade him unless it was for a first round pick which is fair enough as he is already a lock in our best 22 and will be for the next 10 years. But we pretty much got their second round pick and Pickett for free in my opinion anyways.

With any other club pick 38 would be refused immediately but the giants seem to give blues players pretty easily.

GoLions

Gotta remember players wanting to leave always go for less than they're worth. With 2016 I'd say the Cats first rounder-->N8 was the win, rest pretty even. Plowman come on better than expected now though.

Last year quite even, and Marchbank now been really good.

Money Shot

Quote from: GoLions on October 02, 2017, 01:16:05 PM
Gotta remember players wanting to leave always go for less than they're worth. With 2016 I'd say the Cats first rounder-->N8 was the win, rest pretty even. Plowman come on better than expected now though.

Last year quite even, and Marchbank now been really good.
Good point. It is a positive that Smith and Kennedy want to leave.

TomK

Not stirring shower, but Gibbs will, allegedly, ask for a trade again, whether the trade happens is a different question all together as we know.

Jay

Quote from: TomK on October 02, 2017, 08:10:39 PM
Not stirring shower, but Gibbs will, allegedly, ask for a trade again, whether the trade happens is a different question all together as we know.
Interested to hear the Carlton guys thoughts but I would've thought it will be easier this time around. One less year to go on his contract, and Carlton have a greater need for a first round pick with the GWS boys and maybe Rockliff being keen.

GoLions

Quote from: Jay on October 02, 2017, 08:32:41 PM
Interested to hear the Carlton guys thoughts but I would've thought it will be easier this time around. One less year to go on his contract, and Carlton have a greater need for a first round pick with the GWS boys and maybe Rockliff being keen.
Would like to know what the talk in Adelaide is about him atm. In VIC everything is saying he'll stay at the Blues tbh.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: GoLions on October 02, 2017, 08:38:54 PM
Would like to know what the talk in Adelaide is about him atm. In VIC everything is saying he'll stay at the Blues tbh.

Crows media think they will get 5 first round picks for Lever and only give a 3rd rounder for Gibbs!

fanTCfool

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on October 02, 2017, 08:56:46 PM

Crows media think they will get 5 first round picks for Lever and only give a 3rd rounder for Gibbs!

Was catching up on all the Bryce stuff today, club sources and more recent reports suggest he is more likely to stay than he was at this point last year. Should he move, first rounder seems the right price, though Adelaide's first rounder is pretty late this year. Maybe a 4th rounder added that we could send to GWS for Matthew Kennedy seems reasonable? We seem to get their youth pretty cheaply.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: fanTCfool on October 02, 2017, 09:03:07 PM

Was catching up on all the Bryce stuff today, club sources and more recent reports suggest he is more likely to stay than he was at this point last year. Should he move, first rounder seems the right price, though Adelaide's first rounder is pretty late this year. Maybe a 4th rounder added that we could send to GWS for Matthew Kennedy seems reasonable? We seem to get their youth pretty cheaply.

Kennedy will cost a first rounder.

TomK

Hahahahaha okay, obviously exaggerating but do you always talk out your ass?

fanTCfool

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on October 02, 2017, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: fanTCfool on October 02, 2017, 09:03:07 PM

Kennedy will cost a first rounder.

I'd be surprised if we gave up anything less than #30 for him. But, he'll probably come in a combo deal so we'll never know individually.