Main Menu

2018 off-season

Started by Money Shot, October 02, 2017, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Quote from: Jay on October 13, 2017, 01:11:24 AM
So you can finish 14th rather than 16th and then Bryce leaves as soon as his contract is up? I'm confident a deal will get done for Gibbs - it makes too much sense for both sides. It's probably looking like #10 and a second round pick - that's a 7+ year player for you guys, and frankly Gibbs leaving helps your 2018 draft pick. Still have experienced guys like Murph, Kreuz and Simpson to guide the young players. It'll happen.

Let me start with this

QuoteEight times they lost after leading at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter, and in terms of quarters won were competitive with teams around the eight.

Part of that comes down to a lack of physical strength.

So let's assume with natural improvement we win half of those games. That probably puts us in the 10 to 12 range next year with hope of pushing for the 8 in 2019.

Funny thing is Bryce has no intention of leaving Carlton when his contract is up anyway. Last year was you guys trying to poach him and his missus wanting to move closer to family. Funny thing is your mob has had a sook that you couldn't land Gibbs last year and are having one with Lever (who could have left for nothing in the end) and Cameron. The difference is that Bryce loves the club, even with the lack of grand final losses.

You might have had a better chance if we got Dev and Rocky, but considering we lack big bodied mids to help the young guys out there is 0 chance unless they meet whatever SOS asks for. We still have the leverage in this situation with a player contracted for two more seasons that is happy in Melbourne and at the club.

Quote from: GoLions on October 13, 2017, 01:26:38 AM
Forgetting last year, where is all this Gibbs talk coming from? Seems like he's staying at the Bloos to me, haven't heard anything new to suggest otherwise (granted i haven't checked any trade news since Brisbane didn't match the offer for Rocky...)

Slow trade week basically. McKay came out and said Bryce is happy and wanting to stay. Adelaide have said they had no interest this year as well. The only reason it's probably being discussed is us needing a 2nd round pick for Kennedy. It's likely GWS take next years second but we're probably hesitant since we might need it for Ben Silvagni without going into deficit in 2019.

Mat0369

Word is that we give up our 3rd round pick this year and we do a pick swap next year to the advantage of the Giants to pick up Kennedy. My guess is our 2nd for their 3rd next year.

Money Shot

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 18, 2017, 12:01:25 AM
Word is that we give up our 3rd round pick this year and we do a pick swap next year to the advantage of the Giants to pick up Kennedy. My guess is our 2nd for their 3rd next year.
I've heard that we get Kennedy and next years third round and we give next years second. So very similar. I would be pretty happy with that.

Mat0369

Losing Gibbs stings, but at least we got pretty good compo out of it and SOS was able to turn those into more picks.

We will end the off-season with picks 3, 10, 30, Kennedy, Lang, Lobbe and then we have Adelaide's 2018 2nd, Dogs 2018 2nd, Geelong's 2018 4th.

Outs: Gibbs, our 2018 2nd round pick, 2018 3rd round pick and 2018 4th round pick. 

The best bit is we haven't f'ed ourselves in 2018 where we could end up with 2 top 10 picks. Ben Silvagni is apparently a gun and if he is an early draft pick we will be able to get him with points. Only thing is no third round pick so it will be interesting to see what we do next season to get ourselves back into the draft. I think that's the final draft of the rebuild and we're on. 

crowls

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 19, 2017, 06:04:51 PM

Losing Gibbs stings, but at least we got pretty good compo out of it and SOS was able to turn those into more picks.

We will end the off-season with picks 3, 10, 30, Kennedy, Lang, Lobbe and then we have Adelaide's 2018 2nd, Dogs 2018 2nd, Geelong's 2018 4th.

Outs: Gibbs, our 2018 2nd round pick, 2018 3rd round pick and 2018 4th round pick.

The best bit is we haven't f'ed ourselves in 2018 where we could end up with 2 top 10 picks. Ben Silvagni is apparently a gun and if he is an early draft pick we will be able to get him with points. Only thing is no third round pick so it will be interesting to see what we do next season to get ourselves back into the draft. I think that's the final draft of the rebuild and we're on.
Really enjoy reading the optimism of Blues each off season.....       37yrs would be too soon for Carlton to win another flag.     Best recruit Carlton has had in past two years has been SOS.

Mat0369

It has a lot to do with our list build and age brackets. We have had an influx of talented under 22's that look to be capable at the top level. The last time I felt this good about our team was 5 weeks into 2012 when we were premiership favourites. We're heading in the right direction and going the right way about it. No shortcuts.

Right now we have a coach in Bolts who I believe can get the best out of the kids while bringing a defensive and team first understanding.

We have a young core lead by Cripps, Doc, Curnow, Weitering and a bunch of other young talented players. We are fast tracking their development by getting them exposure at the top level. We still have assets in the next two drafts with 2 top 10 picks this season and keeping our first next year.

These next two drafts would have given us 4 solid cracks at getting some elite young talent. Those guys from the first draft should be ready to start taking the comp by the throat. We'll see how it pans out.

crowls

Definitely good reason to be optimistic Mat.   As a Bombers man just hard to voice any support for the Blues.   Then i think how I feel about Eagles and Crows and would rather see Blues in finals than them.

Trindacut

Picks 10 and 16 for Gibbs was an absolute heist. Good work by SOS. Reminds me of the Deledio trade by Richmond last year. Got them a flag in the end.

Want to see the Blues get up and contend for the 8 again.

Vinny

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-21/best-22-how-your-club-could-line-up-in-2018

B: Kade Simpson, Liam Jones, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
C: Dale Thomas, Patrick Cripps, Darcy Lang
HF: Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Matthew Kennedy
F: Jack Silvagni, Charlie Curnow, Sam Petrevski-Seton
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy
INT: Ciaran Byrne, David Cuningham, Jarrod Pickett, Alex Silvagni

NOTES: Midfielders Patrick Cripps and Ed Curnow were sadly missed towards the end of this season because of injury and their return will be welcomed. While Bryce Gibbs’ defection to the Crows will hurt in the short term, the Blues have added much-needed depth to their midfield with the inclusion of ex-Giant Matthew Kennedy and former Cat Darcy Lang, who should go straight into their best combination. Scoring enough goals has been Carlton’s biggest problem for a while and a priority for Brendon Bolton in 2018 will be finding the right combination in the forward half. The Blues have two first-round picks in next month’s NAB AFL Draft and are set to add at least one more young midfielder/defender.

NOT CONSIDERED: Andrew Phillips (foot â€" TBC), Sam Rowe (ACL â€" hopes to be back mid-season)

REMAINING SENIOR LIST:
Blaine Boekhorst, Zac Fisher, Nick Graham, Patrick Kerr, Sam Kerridge, Jed Lamb, Matthew Lobbe, Harrison Macreadie, Harry McKay, Cameron Polson, Billie Smedts, Simon White, Tom Williamson.

REMAINING ROOKIE LIST: Jesse Glass-McCasker, Kym Lebois - Howard Kotton

Purple 77

Nige

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 23, 2017, 08:33:23 PM
This facebook page is your greatest get in the trade period.

https://www.facebook.com/InterestingMatthewLobbe/?hc_ref=ARSpZEHA1XOQdgbp3IogN0LeXq7RVUxrVyji--61P9e9KYFHNfYc6FpGak39EodGSbo&fref=nf

You brought him back to life! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
This is the greatest thing to happen since the events of the 29th September 2017.  8)

Money Shot

Boekhurst, Smedts and White out.

Boekhurst I think we could've kept for depth as he would've played senior footy this year.

Smedts wouldn't of got a game and isn't in the age bracket of players that we are looking to play so that's fair enough.

White probably didn't deserve another contract but I'll be sad too see him go. Gave his all to the club and was a great service to us.

Money Shot

We are looking to sign Aaron Mullet which is a bit of a surprise to me but in saying that he should be decent depth for us.

We have shown interest in Hartung, Stewart and Lennon but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere at this stage.

RaisyDaisy

I could see Mullett easily starting for you, and would be a good pick up too

Would allow Doch to move up the ground a bit more as well

Mullett would suit your half back line really well I think, and would be even handier once Simmo retires

Frankfaust

Quote from: Money Shot on November 01, 2017, 09:05:04 AM
We are looking to sign Aaron Mullet which is a bit of a surprise to me but in saying that he should be decent depth for us.

We have shown interest in Hartung, Stewart and Lennon but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere at this stage.

Thanks for the update. I don't see much Carlton news in the off-season and appreciate this.