Main Menu

2018 off-season

Started by Money Shot, October 02, 2017, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

We will get Kennedy and Dev at a discount because we're going to take some major salary for GWS to be able to sign a bunch of their own guys. They can't afford it and have some big contracts on the books and it's why we took Palmer last year to get a discount on Marchbank. Word was Griffen but McKay came out and said that wasn't happening. They also need a Mummy replacement now that he is likely retiring so some free space will benefit them. I'm thinking it needs to be a 2nd round pick though so I'm leaning towards next years second.

Both the GWS boys are the type of players we need. I was a pretty big fan of Dev early in his career but he is a bit selfish so hopefully Bolts can get that out of his game. He is pretty talented and we need some guys that can break the lines and hit the scoreboard. If he signs we're dumping Boekhorst. Kennedy is another young mid we can add to our core of the future.

McKay also came out and said it's likely Gibbs stays at Carlton and he hasn't requested a trade again. If he does we will entertain offers but it will likely be Melbourne's first we're asking for in that situation. I think it's basically going to come down to how his missus is feeling about Melbourne. It's fair enough that she wants her family close by with a young child, we better be doing all we can to keep them happy though.

Lockliff is going to get a big money offer from us. The Daisy money is off the books and a lot of the guys we have on our list are still young with not a lot of dollar value to their names yet. I'm pretty giddy about this one. I've wanted him in Navy Blue for a looonnnngggg time. It goes all the way back to a pre-season game at Visy Park in 2010 (and also the first time Fev faced Carlton) where he looked the goods. What's great about this is he won't come at a cost other than the cash.

If we can come away with keeping pick 3, getting Rockliff, Kennedy, Smith and one or two other depth guys without giving up a future 2nd and maybe this years third we've done real well. It's going to come down to what GWS want to dump on us and at this point I'd be saying yes to Dawson Simpson, Tim Mohr and whatever other guys we can afford.

Money Shot

Apparently we are in a two horse race for Adam Saad with Essendon and they want a second round draft pick for him. I think he would be a decent addition to our team but don't know if we should give up that much for him.

Mat0369

It hasn't been a really successful week since Kennedy nominated us. So far we have had Rockliff pick Port (it's not even the good team in Adelaide), Dev pick Essendon (slightly ironic that doctors and rehab facilities were what decided it), Saad pick Essendon and our CEO 'resigned'. Apparently Simon Lethlean is  the replacement and half the board don't want him so we have another board divide.

Frankfaust

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 06, 2017, 12:01:08 AM
It hasn't been a really successful week since Kennedy nominated us. So far we have had Rockliff pick Port (it's not even the good team in Adelaide), Dev pick Essendon (slightly ironic that doctors and rehab facilities were what decided it), Saad pick Essendon and our CEO 'resigned'. Apparently Simon Lethlean is  the replacement and half the board don't want him so we have another board divide.

Sounds disastrous. How did it go off track so fast, I wonder.

Mat0369

The last thing we need is off-field BS and politics to hurt our on the field progress and rebuilding strategy. I'm disappointed that we missed out on Rockliff, Smith and Saad, but in a way I'm also relieved because it means we can't take short cuts in this rebuild. In the past we would have just thrown money and traded out picks for a couple of guys that wouldn't make the difference in the long run or the way our list was being built. I think we need one more really good draft before we start looking at FA as a way to fill out the roster.

At least we managed to land Kennedy. He was taken the pick after Curnow and that now gives us Weits, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, Silvagni and now Kennedy from that draft. All of those guys apart from Jack were taken within the top 23 picks.

Looking at some of our guys that are 24 and under it looks like this

Macreadie, Weits, Willo
Doc, Marchbank, Plowman
Cripps, Cuningham, Samo
Silvagni, McKay, Pickett
Fisher, Curnow, Polson
Byrne, Kerridge, Kennedy, LeBois

Add this years draftees and next year is the one that you're looking to get a few of those FA vets in.

Next year Sloane, Lynch, Gawn, Gaff, Dahl and McGovern are all FA's. I doubt Sloane, Gov and Gawn will go anywhere but it will be worth trying to draw one of the other three over considering the bulk of our 23 and under players will be high quality junior prospects and it won't cost us anything but the cash to pay them.

shaker

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 06, 2017, 12:01:08 AM
Damien Barrett in sliding doors saying the Blues board approached Lethlean many weeks ago and this resigned story is absolute rubbish and if half the board don't want Lethlean as you say then you have big problems that needed to be sorted quick smart

Money Shot

Plowman, Weitering, Jones
Docherty, Marchbank, Simpson
Kerridge, Gibbs, Curnow
Thomas, Casboult, Wright
Curnow, McKay, Silvanghi
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy

SPS, Kennedy, Williamson, Fisher

Cunningham, Pickett, Byrne

Is the best 22 at this stage in my opinion. Good too see lots of young talent.

Nige

So you boys reckon Kedge is best 22 next year? I know he basically came in when Curnow went out but even with Cripps and Curnow slotting back in, I feel like Kedge should still have a spot and he's still only like 24. Or does he get pushed out by somebody like Cuningham, Fisher or Williamson who you'd say have more upside?

TomK

Quote from: Nige on October 06, 2017, 10:27:17 AM
So you boys reckon Kedge is best 22 next year? I know he basically came in when Curnow went out but even with Cripps and Curnow slotting back in, I feel like Kedge should still have a spot and he's still only like 24. Or does he get pushed out by somebody like Cuningham, Fisher or Williamson who you'd say have more upside?
I think they're gonna play their best player, Nige.

Money Shot

Quote from: TomK on October 06, 2017, 11:04:31 AM
Quote from: Nige on October 06, 2017, 10:27:17 AM
I think they're gonna play their best player, Nige.
This time last year I thought he was going to be an okay Depth player for the club due to his lack of disposal efficiency but he played 9 games in a row to finish the season and averaged 24.5 disposals and did improve his efficiency. As you said he is only 24 years old so he has 7-8 seasons and you would hope that we would be pushing for finals in a few years time anyways so I personally think we should be playing him as players like Fisher and Williamson who are probably around that 21st/22nd best player in the club will get there chance when injuries occur.

Money Shot

Now that Adelaide have pick 10 I hope they offer Carlton pick 16 along with next years second round for Gibbs! And if they do we should take it.

Next years second round (ADE) for Kennedy
16 for Schache

And we can go to the draft with pick 3

That's just my opinion though.

TomK

Quote from: Money Shot on October 12, 2017, 06:50:50 PM
Now that Adelaide have pick 10 I hope they offer Carlton pick 16 along with next years second round for Gibbs! And if they do we should take it.

16 for Schache

I like your thinking

Mat0369

16 for Schache

Yeah, nah. We aren't trading Gibbs and there is absolutely 0 reason to do it. Pick 10 instead of 16 is making a case for it, but you aren't getting a player at 10 with more value to this team than Bryce. Adelaide had the chance to front up last season and decided to pass. They could have basically got him for two picks in the mid to late teens last year but decided he wasn't worth it. Time for both teams to move on.

The fact that no one has gone after Schache even though Brisbane are the ones looking for a trade says enough. He's probably worth a early to mid 2nd round pick which we don't have. He might have been taken at pick 2 but that doesn't necessarily mean he is worth a first round pick anymore. Have a look at what the Dogs get for Stringer who has proven more at AFL level and that's the guide. If he goes to the Dons it will probably be for pick 24 and maybe a swap of picks down the track.

Right now our key for the offseason is to get a 2nd round pick this year to offer up to GWS. I'm not sure how we're exactly going to swing that but it might mean moving down from 3. The Saints are in a prime position with picks 7 and 8. Both of those is definitely worth more than 3 so it might be 7 and a combo of a few other things. The Lions could try and move up with picks 12, 18 and 19 at their disposal. We need to keep as many picks as possible for next year since it looks like Ben Silvagni is going to have to make his to the Blues. Ideally we manage to keep 3 and find another way to get a second or satisfy the Giants in this deal. I'm hoping it's via a salary dump which helps them out and gets us a discount.

Jay

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 13, 2017, 01:00:07 AM

16 for Schache

Yeah, nah. We aren't trading Gibbs and there is absolutely 0 reason to do it. Pick 10 instead of 16 is making a case for it, but you aren't getting a player at 10 with more value to this team than Bryce. Adelaide had the chance to front up last season and decided to pass. They could have basically got him for two picks in the mid to late teens last year but decided he wasn't worth it. Time for both teams to move on.
So you can finish 14th rather than 16th and then Bryce leaves as soon as his contract is up? I'm confident a deal will get done for Gibbs - it makes too much sense for both sides. It's probably looking like #10 and a second round pick - that's a 7+ year player for you guys, and frankly Gibbs leaving helps your 2018 draft pick. Still have experienced guys like Murph, Kreuz and Simpson to guide the young players. It'll happen.

GoLions

Quote from: Jay on October 13, 2017, 01:11:24 AM
Quote from: Mat0369 on October 13, 2017, 01:00:07 AM

16 for Schache

So you can finish 14th rather than 16th and then Bryce leaves as soon as his contract is up? I'm confident a deal will get done for Gibbs - it makes too much sense for both sides. It's probably looking like #10 and a second round pick - that's a 7+ year player for you guys, and frankly Gibbs leaving helps your 2018 draft pick. Still have experienced guys like Murph, Kreuz and Simpson to guide the young players. It'll happen.
Forgetting last year, where is all this Gibbs talk coming from? Seems like he's staying at the Bloos to me, haven't heard anything new to suggest otherwise (granted i haven't checked any trade news since Brisbane didn't match the offer for Rocky...)