Mitchell Swepson
Josh Hazlewood
Jackson Bird
Nathan Lyon (is shower).

Swepson and Maxi  :o

Jukes

First for should have Zampa and Faulkner

shaker

Pretty much what I expected Ahmed should have been picked over Swepson he comes from the sub continent and surely was a no brainer , S Marsh this guy has had so many chances and apart from the odd good performance really has been a failure and his form of late is terrible and his brother well he only seems to play good at home in the domestic stuff and if they are going to play 2 spinners over there in the tests seems a waste of time taking him ... rating 6.5 out of ten mainly because they had a chance to pick a good leg spinner with plenty of experience playing over there but opted for ones that the Indians will dine out on 

GoLions

Quote from: shaker on January 15, 2017, 01:29:14 PM
Pretty much what I expected Ahmed should have been picked over Swepson he comes from the sub continent and surely was a no brainer , S Marsh this guy has had so many chances and apart from the odd good performance really has been a failure and his form of late is terrible and his brother well he only seems to play good at home in the domestic stuff and if they are going to play 2 spinners over there in the tests seems a waste of time taking him ... rating 6.5 out of ten mainly because they had a chance to pick a good leg spinner with plenty of experience playing over there but opted for ones that the Indians will dine out on
I'm fine with Smarsh in the team. Averages almost 80 in SL (which is the closest thing to India that he's played at), and averages a tick over 40 overall.

Mmarsh however...I dunno how he's gotten himself another chance. Especially when Cartwright batted well and at number 6 I'd rather a batter who can bowl a tiny bit (albeit not great) as opposed to a bowler that can bat a bit (which is what Mmarsh has effectively become in tests nowadays).

If we can not lose 4-0, I'll be happy.

Jay

Not the worst squad I've ever seen. Even Swepson just being on the tour and maybe playing some tour games would be a good experience. Maxwell and SMarsh are fine, but yeah I'm with GL, what has MMarsh done to deserve a spot? If he plays then he shouldn't bat higher than 8. Head would have been a far better selection than MMarsh, can legitimately bat and his bowling would probably be just as handy in those conditions.

Quote from: GoLions on January 15, 2017, 01:45:02 PM
If we can not lose 4-0, I'll be happy.

Jukes

Maybe but the last player they brought in from Asia (Khawaja) averages less than half away from home than at home :P but yes Swepson over him is a mystery (although this team does keep picking Lyon so maybe they of my have their head screwed on right for picking spinners)

SMarsh may not be a good batsman, but he's had success in Asia which is key for a team that (iirc) has been swept in their last three series in Asia (India, UAE, Sri Lanka?). I'd be playing him (46 average away from home) over Warner (36) and Ussie (30), whether it's as opener or later in the order.

Mitch I reckon would be a decent performer as well on Indian pitches, if he can do well in warm up games I'd be happy picking him at #6.

shaker

Quote from: Jukes on January 15, 2017, 01:57:53 PM

Maybe but the last player they brought in from Asia (Khawaja) averages less than half away from home than at home :P but yes Swepson over him is a mystery (although this team does keep picking Lyon so maybe they of my have their head screwed on right for picking spinners)

SMarsh may not be a good batsman, but he's had success in Asia which is key for a team that (iirc) has been swept in their last three series in Asia (India, UAE, Sri Lanka?). I'd be playing him (46 average away from home) over Warner (36) and Ussie (30), whether it's as opener or later in the order.

Mitch I reckon would be a decent performer as well on Indian pitches, if he can do well in warm up games I'd be happy picking him at #6.

Don't get me wrong Swepson needed to go just for the experience but Ahmed needed to be there as it is looks like they are going to run with Lyon and O'Keefe which the Indian batsmen will probably enjoy

nrich102

Memeswell, Swepson  -> Head, Ahmed I think.

Swepson is gonna get murdered if he plays a test.

GoLions

I reckon my XI would be something like this:

Warner
Renshaw
Smarsh
Smiddy
Handscomb
Maxwell
Wade
Starc
Hazlewood
SOK
Lyon

Pending pitch conditions, Bird and Agar both could play as well. Khawaja unlucky but his form in the sub-continent is horrid. If Renshaw or Smarsh (or even Handscomb perhaps) fail for the first 2 tests, he could come in then. I'd like to see Maxwell get a decent shot at it.

Jukes

Quote from: shaker on January 15, 2017, 02:08:07 PM

Don't get me wrong Swepson needed to go just for the experience but Ahmed needed to be there as it is looks like they are going to run with Lyon and O'Keefe which the Indian batsmen will probably enjoy

Im a big fan of Zampa so I would've sent him over for both experience and because I'm fairly sure his technique would work wonders (i.e. Better than SOK and Lyon), but oh well. Aus (and cricket teams in general) should start picking players based on conditions rather than based on their actual talent/performance/name tbh - it would certainly help with winning in Asia. Yes Warner is certainly a better batsman than SMarsh, but the opposite occurs in Asia hence why I'd pick Marsh. I'd even lean towards Mitch Marsh and Faulkner bowling better than Starc over there

My team would be Renshaw, Marsh, Warner, Smith, Handscomb (wk), Marsh, Faulkner, Starc, Hazlewood, Ahmed, Zampa (I'm a hipster)

shaker

Quote from: Jukes on January 15, 2017, 02:23:58 PM
Quote from: shaker on January 15, 2017, 02:08:07 PM

Im a big fan of Zampa so I would've sent him over for both experience and because I'm fairly sure his technique would work wonders (i.e. Better than SOK and Lyon), but oh well. Aus (and cricket teams in general) should start picking players based on conditions rather than based on their actual talent/performance/name tbh - it would certainly help with winning in Asia. Yes Warner is certainly a better batsman than SMarsh, but the opposite occurs in Asia hence why I'd pick Marsh. I'd even lean towards Mitch Marsh and Faulkner bowling better than Starc over there

My team would be Renshaw, Marsh, Warner, Smith, Handscomb (wk), Marsh, Faulkner, Starc, Hazlewood, Ahmed, Zampa (I'm a hipster)

Agree the key to beating teams like India at home is matching them in the spinner dept. and I can't see Lyon and O'Keefe doing that

shaker

What do people think of Wade's ability to keep to the spinners ?

GoLions

Quote from: shaker on January 15, 2017, 03:04:09 PM
What do people think of Wade's ability to keep to the spinners ?
Would prefer Nev

Hawka

I dont think we are playing any tour games maybe one in Dubai but on a different type of pitch then india of course
great schecduling need a couple of weeks in India, but nope :/

fanTCfool

Quote from: nrich102 on January 15, 2017, 02:08:31 PM
Memeswell, Swepson  -> Head, Ahmed I think.

Swepson is gonna get murdered if he plays a test.

And if he doesn't play the test and spends his time wandering the streets, he may also get murdered.