Australia in India (4 Tests)

Started by BratPack, January 15, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Quote from: Jukes on February 18, 2017, 03:13:58 PM
Quote from: elephants on February 18, 2017, 10:30:23 AM
Quote from: Hawka on February 18, 2017, 12:38:30 AM
Quote from: Jukes on February 18, 2017, 12:23:09 AM
It was a meaningless game against random opposition, was there any doubt Smith would score a ton? ::)
Getting runs in foreign conditions is always good for the confidence

Jukes has clearly gone fishing here hawks, let this garbage through to the keeper ;)

Lad if you know anything about cricket you'd know Smith is one of the biggest flat track bullies in the world.

You wouldn't remember last ashes series because you were off the bandwagon then, but in the two winning matches (one meaningless, one that couldn't be lost by batting first) he scored 215, 58, and 143 - compared to 33, 33, 7, 8, 6, and 5 in the matches that defined the series where it was right on the line.
To be fair he made some decent tons in the whitewash, before the series was decided. Also, has it occurred that Smith scoring runs might be the reason Australia win, as opposed to the other way round? ;)

Smith and SMarsh will be the only two to score anything meaningful in India so at least they are in form!

elephants

I assume this pitch will in no way resemble what we'll be playing on against India.

But hey, runs are runs!

Jukes

Quote from: PowerBug on February 18, 2017, 08:34:15 PM
It was a meaningless game against random opposition, was there any doubt Smith would score a ton? ::)

Jukes has clearly gone fishing here hawks, let this garbage through to the keeper ;)

Lad if you know anything about cricket you'd know Smith is one of the biggest flat track bullies in the world.

You wouldn't remember last ashes series because you were off the bandwagon then, but in the two winning matches (one meaningless, one that couldn't be lost by batting first) he scored 215, 58, and 143 - compared to 33, 33, 7, 8, 6, and 5 in the matches that defined the series where it was right on the line.
To be fair he made some decent tons in the whitewash, before the series was decided. Also, has it occurred that Smith scoring runs might be the reason Australia win, as opposed to the other way round? ;)

Smith and SMarsh will be the only two to score anything meaningful in India so at least they are in form!

Averaged 40.88 in 2013/14, and in the 2015 ashes' two wins he scored 215/566 (37%), 58 out of 254 (22%), and 143 out of 481 (29%). Real one man team effort eh

PowerBug

Quote from: Jukes on February 18, 2017, 10:01:02 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on February 18, 2017, 08:34:15 PM

Averaged 40.88 in 2013/14, and in the 2015 ashes' two wins he scored 215/566 (37%), 58 out of 254 (22%), and 143 out of 481 (29%). Real one man team effort eh
He came in at 78/1 and got out at 533/6 at 1-0 down in an Ashes series away from home? Him and Chris Rogers were the only two to pass 50 in that 566. In what world is that a flat track bully score?? The 58 was a swinging contest as shown by the Strike Rates. And yes the 143 was in a dead rubber but again his innings at number 3 sets up the win (he was given a decent platform when he came in however).

Also the ton I was talking about was the Perth 1st innings one where he's come in at 106/3 and Warner and Bailey fell not too long after leaving then 143/5. He's then the 8th man out with the score on 338.

Steve Smith averages 68 at home and 57 away! That's an amazing away average. He averages 75 in Australia's first innings, and 42 in their second innings. He averages 89 when batting in the first innings of the match. Opposite of flat track bully.

Only thing you have in your favour is the following: Averages 82 when Australia win, 31 when Australia lose ;)

valkorum

Test team prediction

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
S Marsh
Handscomb
M Marsh
Wade
Starc
Hazlewood
O'Keefe
Lyon

Edit: Removed Khawaja and brought in M Marsh

shaker

Quote from: valkorum on February 21, 2017, 12:19:01 PM
Test team prediction

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
S Marsh
Handscomb
M Marsh
Wade
Starc
Hazlewood
O'Keefe
Lyon

I suppose the wicket for the first test will good for spin so I would rather see Agar in there for M Marsh who has failed miserably whenever he plays for Australia

valkorum

Quote from: shaker on February 21, 2017, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: valkorum on February 21, 2017, 12:19:01 PM
Test team prediction

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
S Marsh
Handscomb
M Marsh
Wade
Starc
Hazlewood
O'Keefe
Lyon

I suppose the wicket for the first test will good for spin so I would rather see Agar in there for M Marsh who has failed miserably whenever he plays for Australia

Except that M Marsh has the 4th best average (28) against spin in Asia behind S Marsh (91), S Smith (38) & D Warner (30).  That being said, I would be happy with either Agar over M Marsh

PowerBug

I think that will be the way they go. Mitch Marsh seems to be in from what I'm reading, and it's just Renshaw vs Khawaja (How is Renshaw's spot in the side even up for debate?)

The bowlers are chosen as well, I think O'Keefe bats at 8 though.

valkorum

Yeh, O'Keefe probably bats higher, I just grouped the bowlers :)

PowerBug

So apparently this XI has been mentioned:
Warner, Renshaw, SMarsh, Smith, Handscomb, MMarsh, Wade, SOK, Starc/Hazlewood, Lyon, Swepson.
Yep, dropping either Starc or Hazlewood just to fit in a 3rd spinner ::)

Steve Smith doesn't trust Glenn Maxwell (thank god) as much as the selectors did when they picked him. So Mitch Marsh is fairly safe. With Agar bowling nothing too different to SOK his spot is unlikely (Unless they think he can bat at 6 or 7).

But it looks likely that the XI will be the one we've discussed above. It's going to be a long 4 tests :-\

Bill Manspeaker

Smiddy won the toss and elected to bat

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
S.Marsh
Handscomb
M.Marsh
Wade
Starc
O'Keefe
Lyon
Hazlewood

Smith listed at 3, I reckon Marsh will bat there

Ringo

Australian Team
DA Warner, MT Renshaw, SPD Smith*, SE Marsh, PSP Handscomb, MR Marsh, MS Wade†, SNJ O'Keefe, NM Lyon, MA Starc, JR Hazlewood

Trust on the dusty pitch we are not a pace bowler too many.

Bill Manspeaker

JAYA HEYYYYY

don't mind the Indian anthem

Bill Manspeaker

Ashwin opening

probably bowl 45 overs

Bill Manspeaker

does anyone know if reviews are in effect this series?