Main Menu

Australia in India (4 Tests)

Started by BratPack, January 15, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Love the upside selections though tbh. Probably a 1% chance of us winning this series, so throw some kids/high potential players over there and see how they fare. A good series in India could be the making of a player or three

PowerBug

Quote from: Jay on January 15, 2017, 01:56:21 PM
Not the worst squad I've ever seen. Even Swepson just being on the tour and maybe playing some tour games would be a good experience. Maxwell and SMarsh are fine, but yeah I'm with GL, what has MMarsh done to deserve a spot? If he plays then he shouldn't bat higher than 8. Head would have been a far better selection than MMarsh, can legitimately bat and his bowling would probably be just as handy in those conditions.
It isn't 2005 buddy, tour matches are replaced with "high altitude fitness training" or whatever shower they come up with. Basically the team is going to Dubai for 2 weeks. They are only playing 4 tests in India, nothing else.

Glenn Memeswell? Oh please ::)

Quote from: Jukes on January 15, 2017, 01:57:53 PM
SMarsh may not be a good batsman, but he's had success in Asia which is key for a team that (iirc) has been swept in their last three series in Asia (India, UAE, Sri Lanka?). I'd be playing him (46 average away from home) over Warner (36) and Ussie (30), whether it's as opener or later in the order.

Mitch I reckon would be a decent performer as well on Indian pitches, if he can do well in warm up games I'd be happy picking him at #6.
Agree on SMarsh, he should play the first test. teams pick bowlers based on conditions, why not batsmen? Khawaja out unless they roll with 6 bats (unlikely). Same point as above there's no trial matches unless they have an intra-squad one.

Question I want to know is how does Mitch Swepson get selected on potential + some BBL/FC performances, but Jack Wildermuth doesn't? I'd have taken Ahmed personally.

Trying to get into the selectors heads here, I think they will do the following:
SMarsh, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, MMarsh, Wade, SOK, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon

Oh and also:

Jay

Quote from: PowerBug on January 15, 2017, 09:40:48 PM
Agree on SMarsh, he should play the first test. teams pick bowlers based on conditions, why not batsmen? Khawaja out unless they roll with 6 bats (unlikely). Same point as above there's no trial matches unless they have an intra-squad one.

Question I want to know is how does Mitch Swepson get selected on potential + some BBL/FC performances, but Jack Wildermuth doesn't? I'd have taken Ahmed personally.

Trying to get into the selectors heads here, I think they will do the following:
SMarsh, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, MMarsh, Wade, SOK, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon
Simple! Because we are crying out for a leg spinner, and don't particularly need another middling All-Rounder. Already have MMarsh, Cartwright, Faulkner, Henriques, Stoinis etc.

PowerBug

Quote from: Jay on January 15, 2017, 10:02:50 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on January 15, 2017, 09:40:48 PM

Simple! Because we are crying out for a leg spinner, and don't particularly need another middling All-Rounder. Already have MMarsh, Cartwright, Faulkner, Henriques, Stoinis etc.
None of whom have shown anything useful in the long form to date? (Yet to try Stoinis) You've got a guy who is a top 6 batsman firstly, and then he's got the ability to bowl 135 clicks.

Jukes

Tfw only person who knows the truth that Zampa and Faulkner would dominate in Indian conditions :'(

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

shaker

Quote from: Jukes on January 15, 2017, 10:13:03 PM
Tfw only person who knows the truth that Zampa and Faulkner would dominate in Indian conditions :'(

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Don't know to much about Zampa but would have loved seeing Ahmed and Faulkner in the squad instead of M Marsh and Maxwell

Jukes

Quote from: shaker on January 15, 2017, 11:02:30 PM
Quote from: Jukes on January 15, 2017, 10:13:03 PM

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Don't know to much about Zampa but would have loved seeing Ahmed and Faulkner in the squad instead of M Marsh and Maxwell

Zampa is a slightly better version of Swepson - good variation, accurate bowler, has a fair bit of that X-factor, and would get good then on Indian pitches. I'd go with him over Ahmed because Ahmed's already 34 and I don't see him being the best current option either.

Definitely a fan of Faulkner in India - also has great accuracy and variation in his bowling and would get nice movement off the pitch in India unlike over here, and his pace is decent. I'd say if he was given the same amount of overs in India as Starc he'd easily take more wickets, Starc won't be any good over there

PowerBug

Capper

I would have preferred Neville as well.

Why is Maxy picked as an all-rounder yet hasnt bowled a ball in the first 2 games of the ODI, hasnt played a test for 4 years, bats below Wade for Victoria and Australia are looking to blood new players (Hilton). If he bats below the keeper then he is a bowler, i would rather play an extra bowler instead of Maxy. I would have picked Head before Maxy.

MMarsh got dropped from the team yet comes back in as the all rounder. If we had played a 5th bowler they would have scored more than MMarsh.

We are worried about our opening bowlers bowling too much, yet we are only taking 3 seamers. WTF

Had a massive discussion with my mates regarding the team the other night and a thought was brought up. Was Maxy chosen because the Indian public recognise him as a T20 player and hope to get more people to the tests

If we can get 10 overs from part timers (Warner, Smith, etc) then we dont need an all rounder. Starc and hazle to bowl 15 overs each and 20 overs each from the spinners if we pick 2 spinners. I think we will pick 2 spinners as we only chose 3 front line seamers. Maxy doesnt play unless injuries. We will pick either MMarsh or Agar

Turtle, Reverend, Salt, Smudge, Hank, Nice Gary, Starc, Hoff, Garry are already picked for every test.
Uzzie misses due to form in India, although Salt can't be trusted to stay fit for 5 days.
2 out of Bird, Maxy, MMarsh, Swepson, SOK, Agar
Agar and SOK bowl the same so its whether they go with Agars batting over SOKs bowling.
If Agar is picked then either Bird or MMarsh
If Bird is picked then Agar is the 2nd spinner.
If SOK is picked then MMarsh comes in

Hawka

Solid start against India A
Smith and Marsh making centuries , Handscomb with a nice dig as well.

Jukes

It was a meaningless game against random opposition, was there any doubt Smith would score a ton? ::)

Hawka

Quote from: Jukes on February 18, 2017, 12:23:09 AM
It was a meaningless game against random opposition, was there any doubt Smith would score a ton? ::)
Getting runs in foreign conditions is always good for the confidence

elephants

Quote from: Hawka on February 18, 2017, 12:38:30 AM

Jukes has clearly gone fishing here hawks, let this garbage through to the keeper ;)

Jukes

Quote from: elephants on February 18, 2017, 10:30:23 AM
Quote from: Hawka on February 18, 2017, 12:38:30 AM

Jukes has clearly gone fishing here hawks, let this garbage through to the keeper ;)

Lad if you know anything about cricket you'd know Smith is one of the biggest flat track bullies in the world.

You wouldn't remember last ashes series because you were off the bandwagon then, but in the two winning matches (one meaningless, one that couldn't be lost by batting first) he scored 215, 58, and 143 - compared to 33, 33, 7, 8, 6, and 5 in the matches that defined the series where it was right on the line.

elephants

Keep going son, I'll reply when the baiting is deemed worthy.