America's DT General Discussion 2016

Started by LF, February 19, 2016, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

Have archived the other thread and started a new one for this season

LF

The vote for this is in and it has come back a tied vote 6-6.

Here are all the comments we received from coaches regarding the draft either way.

1: I'll have to say no,I do think the extra attention on the comp over the byes is nice but not entirely crucial. The AFL doesn't have it, so I don't think we need to either.

2: I'll say no/scrap, adds more interest to the end of season drafts if there are some decent selections available. We also have massive lists so nobody should really be needing players mid season imo

3: I vote to keep it. As long as its not compulsory. If a LTI or dropped spud needs trading then all good IMO

4: Yes keep it. It was designed to keep coaches interested and talking over the bye, it also helps the teams that need it:

We can discuss it further but with the tied vote it will come down to admin call,which is Atto and myself
We have discussed the mid season draft via facebook a few times.

We now have the new rivalry round fixtures that Atto has done over the bye periods which should create a fair bit of interest from the coaches as we take on our rival teams for bragging rights.

Football Factory

I think if it's an existing rule and the majority are not against it then it should be kept.

LF

Quote from: Football Factory on March 07, 2016, 08:02:54 PM
I think if it's an existing rule and the majority are not against it then it should be kept.

This ^^^ is part of the reason it's now open for more discussion :)
And would be good to get some more opinions from more coaches than those that sent the above comments with their pm votes

Grannyboy

I think I'm far more opposed to the free agency style of drafting than getting rid of the mid-season draft. I like the draft and certainly think it should stay (I think drafting is the best part of this game) but am far more concerned about good teams picking up the best young talent during the year with free agency.

LF

There is no free agency
The vote wasn't sent out for it
And it wouldn't come in this season anyway because there would be some work involved in setting it up properly if voted in and the vote can wait until later on for it anyway

R.Griffen

Quote from: Grannyboy on March 08, 2016, 09:30:34 AM
I think I'm far more opposed to the free agency style of drafting than getting rid of the mid-season draft. I like the draft and certainly think it should stay (I think drafting is the best part of this game) but am far more concerned about good teams picking up the best young talent during the year with free agency.
Well if that is the case how come I got told to "take the game serious" when I had heaps of draft picks the season before? Maybe guys should use the draft I did that again this year and now I'm being told to "I went too far during the trade period". Maybe if teams want talent use the draft and don't give up their draft picks? I could of had the top 4 picks this year.

The free agency during the year doesnt have premium players in it. I don't see any guys that have been picked up mid year making my best 22. So how are good teams going to get better just from a mid year pick up?

Football Factory

Quote from: R.Griffen on March 08, 2016, 12:39:57 PM
Well if that is the case how come I got told to "take the game serious" when I had heaps of draft picks the season before? Maybe guys should use the draft I did that again this year and now I'm being told to "I went too far during the trade period". Maybe if teams want talent use the draft and don't give up their draft picks? I could of had the top 4 picks this year.

The free agency during the year doesnt have premium players in it. I don't see any guys that have been picked up mid year making my best 22. So how are good teams going to get better just from a mid year pick up?

It's not all about you Griff (if im not getting best 22 players for my team I want it gone  ;D ) you can see the motivation behind his vote, won the bloody Grandfinal last year ....the draft helps out teams that are on the bottom of the ladder.

1. Bolivia Condors (PKbaldy) - Josh Bruce
2. Springfield Isotopes (Grannyboy) - Karl Amon
3. Washington Senators (Popedelio) - Michael Rischitelli
4. El Paso Alpacas (T Dog) - Adam Saad

You will have to ask these coaches as to wether they benefitted form the draft or not, im not sure if they became best 22 players for them or not ?

I don't know why there is such a big push to try and get rid of the mid season draft ? what do people have against it ? its a bit of extra fun midway through the year, I like drafting, was some of the best fun ive had with these sort of comps especially the main draft. You don't even have to participate if you don't want to.

R.Griffen

Quote from: Football Factory on March 08, 2016, 02:19:53 PM
Quote from: R.Griffen on March 08, 2016, 12:39:57 PM

It's not all about you Griff (if im not getting best 22 players for my team I want it gone  ;D ) you can see the motivation behind his vote, won the bloody Grandfinal last year ....the draft helps out teams that are on the bottom of the ladder.

1. Bolivia Condors (PKbaldy) - Josh Bruce
2. Springfield Isotopes (Grannyboy) - Karl Amon
3. Washington Senators (Popedelio) - Michael Rischitelli
4. El Paso Alpacas (T Dog) - Adam Saad

You will have to ask these coaches as to wether they benefitted form the draft or not, im not sure if they became best 22 players for them or not ?

I don't know why there is such a big push to try and get rid of the mid season draft ? what do people have against it ? its a bit of extra fun midway through the year, I like drafting, was some of the best fun ive had with these sort of comps especially the main draft. You don't even have to participate if you don't want to.
|What I am trying to say is that is not where the top end talent comes from. I'm not going to steal players away from a lower end team through a draft if I don't need them. I was for having a chance to pick up players mid year but players shouldn't be forced to pick up players.

There is enough interest around mid year so it doesn't bother me. If the draft is for the bottom end teams to get some talent they should keep their picks

Football Factory

It was always about trying to even up the comp Griff, we want all coaches to have fun yeah ? not just the top 5-6 teams, I also like drafting and trying to pick out that golden nugget hidden amongst the trash.

I guess you could look at having the draft for just the bottom 4 teams if people are worried the talent will be pillaged by the better teams with the later picks, I like the format how it is though as its a bit of fun and the talent ends pretty quick after the first few picks, could be something to discuss ?

R.Griffen

Quote from: Football Factory on March 08, 2016, 02:52:19 PM
It was always about tying to even up the comp Griff, we want all coaches to have fun yeah ? not just the top 5-6 teams, I also like drafting and trying to pick out that golden nugget hidden amongst the trash.

I guess you could look at having the draft for just the bottom 4 teams if people are worried the talent will be pillaged by the better teams with the later picks, I like the format how it is though as its a bit of fun and the talent ends pretty quick after the first few picks, could be something to discuss ?
Not going to even up the comp when I drafted Brayshaw last year and could have drafted Parish, Mills, etc coming off winning a grand final. The fun is out of it when teams aren't rebuilding properly and keeping talent

Football Factory

Quote from: R.Griffen on March 08, 2016, 02:58:48 PM
It was always about tying to even up the comp Griff, we want all coaches to have fun yeah ? not just the top 5-6 teams, I also like drafting and trying to pick out that golden nugget hidden amongst the trash.

Not going to even up the comp when I drafted Brayshaw last year and could have drafted Parish, Mills, etc coming off winning a grand final. The fun is out of it when teams aren't rebuilding properly and keeping talent

Not quite sure what you are talking about here ... we are discussing the mid season draft.

R.Griffen

Quote from: Football Factory on March 08, 2016, 03:02:33 PM

Not quite sure what you are talking about here ... we are discussing the mid season draft.
I know but if it is a life or death situtation how is it going to help. The players aren't that decent and are teams really missing out on any of these scores. The talent comes from the other draft

Football Factory

Quote from: R.Griffen on March 08, 2016, 03:09:52 PM

I know but if it is a life or death situtation how is it going to help. The players aren't that decent and are teams really missing out on any of these scores. The talent comes from the other draft

There's always a few decent players that emerge (mature age) I think it benefits the weaker teams.

In regards to you previous message if you are unhappy with the format of the National Draft (ladder position after or before finals)you need to raise the issue with LF/Atto

R.Griffen

Quote from: Football Factory on March 08, 2016, 03:15:55 PM
Quote from: R.Griffen on March 08, 2016, 03:09:52 PM

There's always a few decent players that emerge (mature age) I think it benefits the weaker teams.

In regards to you previous message if you are unhappy with the format of the National Draft (ladder position after or before finals)you need to raise the issue with LF/Atto
Well the format is good and all. It should be up to the coaches to get the team they want from the start. Like we already have 2 drafts to recruit players