America's DT General Discussion 2016

Started by LF, February 19, 2016, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

How can I possibly win ... 5 people against me including both Admin .. I can feel a knee jerk reaction coming.

Grannyboy

Quote from: Nige on March 09, 2016, 03:35:45 PM
I'm fairly opposed to any kind of midseason draft or trade period. I don't like the idea of allowing people to improve or fix their lists during the middle of the season. We've got large enough lists that it shouldn't be an issue. The offseason is a long, long time for a coach to make all the necessary list changes and if they're needing an extra draft or trade period, they clearly wasted their offseason. The trade period side of things also benefits those who are more active, as they're more likely to actually do something than the coaches who just turn up to submit a team every week.

Most of these comps, to an extent, try to replicate the AFL. Carlton were a basketcase for pretty much all of last year and they weren't allowed to trade an underperforming player for someone in form and they weren't allowed to suddenly draft Weitering or Schache midseason.

In my opinion, half the fun of these comps is that an injury or two can derail a season, it happens in the AFL (GWS with Mummy) and for me, that adds more interest than 'struggling' teams getting charity because we've got nothing else to do over bye rounds. If you really want something to do over the bye rounds, why not have an opt in or opt out (whatever people prefer) competition over those three rounds where the team that scores the highest total points or whatever gets bragging rights. Purely a suggestion an alternative to the midseason draft or trade period options which I'm not really fond of whatsoever.
Haha bollocks, I must have sent out 30-40 pms to almost every coach last year with inquiries and ready made trades and got the same reply...I want Dusty or Hibberd. The trade period benefits those who have good players to start with, I've offered up young guns to actually get something done and I've only got screwed as a result.
Carlton can name it's own 22 each week we can't, we have to rely on them being in their AFL team and in the right position for us. There is nothing worse than doughies and I have had as many as anyone. Do you really want to get to the top 4 because you played a team that didn't have 22 on the park and you kicked the crap out of them?
Weitering and Schache were never available for the midseason draft, it's only the left over picks from the previous draft.

Grannyboy

Nige and PK, have you actually seen a full season? It's amazing how slack the bottom teams got when they didn't have enough players to make a 22 and are sitting on 4-8 points from 10-12 games. Quite a few times teams weren't posted at all or during a lock out and previous weeks teams that didn't score as well were used. It started to affect the ladder and %.

Atto

Quote from: Grannyboy on March 09, 2016, 06:34:48 PM
Nige and PK, have you actually seen a full season? It's amazing how slack the bottom teams got when they didn't have enough players to make a 22 and are sitting on 4-8 points from 10-12 games. Quite a few times teams weren't posted at all or during a lock out and previous weeks teams that didn't score as well were used. It started to affect the ladder and %.

Isn't the point of the preference list is to reduce the effect that has?

Grannyboy

Quote from: Atto on March 09, 2016, 06:46:52 PM

Isn't the point of the preference list is to reduce the effect that has?
It would be much better to not have a preference list and just have every coach post every week, the teams will no doubt be a lot better when you look at current form rather than an average at the start of a season. The fact you even need a preference list says it all.

LF

Other comps have preference lists as well,it's there as a safety factor for teams
What if you were is hospital or something  and couldn't contact anyone and this kind of thing is the last thing on your mind at least we can put up a competitive team using the preference lists provided.

R.Griffen

Wouldn't mind a re vote now I've seen the reasons why or why not to have it

Nige

I have. Not in this comp, but I've had got teams in every other XVs style comp on this forum. In fact, I took over a team that was exactly as you described in BXVs and turned it into a premiership team in 2 years. So yes, I've also done admin work for comps too and know exactly what happens when teams aren't posted because of the coaches. For that reason, preference lists are a must as LF noted very well.

Football Factory

We brought the preference lists in, they're a good idea. If your talking about using them for people who don't give a shower about their team anymore then I think it's not a good idea .. hey cool we don't need coaches anymore we have preference lists  ???

kilbluff1985

i voted against it mainly because i feel the rookie draft is already useless enough a midseason draft makes it even more useless

Football Factory

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on March 09, 2016, 08:29:55 PM
i voted against it mainly because i feel the rookie draft is already useless enough a midseason draft makes it even more useless

I agree to an extent, the Rookie draft normally only has 4 or 5 good players to pick. PK was saying he doesn't agree with it because it takes away some of the depth and therefore affects the lower teams getting good players with their second pick .. example R13 .. but if you have only the Rookie draft and there is say 7-9 players worth picking (decent scorers) he still wont get one, the player will go to a higher team on the ladder .. say R8/R9. Having the mid season draft gives them another good chance of picking up a good player to fix their team a bit. Surely we all want a competitive comp, we don't want teams stuck on the bottom for years. A lot of these players are mature age players and are a good fix for the struggling teams. National draft is good but you have wait years for them to improve their scoring unless you pick up one of the more AFL ready youngsters.

GoLions

Quote from: Football Factory on March 09, 2016, 08:50:44 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on March 09, 2016, 08:29:55 PM

I agree to an extent, the Rookie draft normally only has 4 or 5 good players to pick. PK was saying he doesn't agree with it because it takes away some of the depth and therefore affects the lower teams getting good players with their second pick .. example R13 .. but if you have only the Rookie draft and there is say 7-9 players worth picking (decent scorers) he still wont get one, the player will go to a higher team on the ladder .. say R8/R9. Having the mid season draft gives them another good chance of picking up a good player to fix their team a bit. Surely we all want a competitive comp, we don't want teams stuck on the bottom for years. A lot of these players are mature age players and are a good fix for the struggling teams. National draft is good but you have wait years for them to improve their scoring unless you pick up one of the more AFL ready youngsters.
I think he was more talking about the value of rookie picks in the trade period, with a mid-season draft all the early bolters in the rookie draft pool are going to get taken, meaning the quality of players at the end of the season in the rookie draft will be less, which means that people will be less inclined to give up anything decent for a rookie pick.

In BXVs, N3 or N4 was traded for R1 (overs imho but not the point, sorry kb :P), with a mid-season draft, R1 would've probably been worth about N30 at best.

kilbluff1985

Well u need to point out Oxley was in the draft who everyone thought would be a defender and i needed a defender more then N4 i know it was overs but it was better for the team structure

luckily we went with ultimate footy scoring and Oxley is a defender  ;D

Football Factory

Okay yeah i see what you (PK) means .. but I still stand by the fact that he will get two good players (potentially best 22) instead of only one if we have a Rookie draft and mid season draft. But if that's not what he was talking about I guess it doesn't really matter. Still think the mid season draft benefits the weaker teams.

He got J.Bruce (Mid Season) and S.Gray (Rookie) .. so that wasn't too bad, he wouldn't have got Bruce if we only had the Rookie draft, I guess you have to weigh up what is more important, starting 22 or the trade value of Rookie picks.

I have never been inclined to give anything up for a Rookie pick, even before we had a Mid season draft.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Grannyboy on March 09, 2016, 06:28:59 PM
Quote from: Nige on March 09, 2016, 03:35:45 PM
I'm fairly opposed to any kind of midseason draft or trade period. I don't like the idea of allowing people to improve or fix their lists during the middle of the season. We've got large enough lists that it shouldn't be an issue. The offseason is a long, long time for a coach to make all the necessary list changes and if they're needing an extra draft or trade period, they clearly wasted their offseason. The trade period side of things also benefits those who are more active, as they're more likely to actually do something than the coaches who just turn up to submit a team every week.

Most of these comps, to an extent, try to replicate the AFL. Carlton were a basketcase for pretty much all of last year and they weren't allowed to trade an underperforming player for someone in form and they weren't allowed to suddenly draft Weitering or Schache midseason.

In my opinion, half the fun of these comps is that an injury or two can derail a season, it happens in the AFL (GWS with Mummy) and for me, that adds more interest than 'struggling' teams getting charity because we've got nothing else to do over bye rounds. If you really want something to do over the bye rounds, why not have an opt in or opt out (whatever people prefer) competition over those three rounds where the team that scores the highest total points or whatever gets bragging rights. Purely a suggestion an alternative to the midseason draft or trade period options which I'm not really fond of whatsoever.
Haha bollocks, I must have sent out 30-40 pms to almost every coach last year with inquiries and ready made trades and got the same reply...I want Dusty or Hibberd. The trade period benefits those who have good players to start with, I've offered up young guns to actually get something done and I've only got screwed as a result.
Carlton can name it's own 22 each week we can't, we have to rely on them being in their AFL team and in the right position for us. There is nothing worse than doughies and I have had as many as anyone. Do you really want to get to the top 4 because you played a team that didn't have 22 on the park and you kicked the crap out of them?
Weitering and Schache were never available for the midseason draft, it's only the left over picks from the previous draft.

I'm pretty sure I never got an offer from you?? I offered you a very generous deal (I thought), didn't include any of your top players... And still shut it down calling it a 'terrible offer'.

Never knew that Rioli wasn't worth Aish ;) But hey i'm fine with that.