America's DT General Discussion 2016

Started by LF, February 19, 2016, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atto

Just my two cents. If we were going to do anything during the MBR's, I believe it should be a trade period (but I think very few people were in favour of that). In the way that it opens on Monday morning and closes Thursday night each week. I am against doing a draft because I like the potential value in a rookie draft at the end of the season if no one got picked up in the meantime. But I won't complain if we did just the three mini rounds during the byes.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Atto on March 09, 2016, 01:09:19 AM
Just my two cents. If we were going to do anything during the MBR's, I believe it should be a trade period (but I think very few people were in favour of that). In the way that it opens on Monday morning and closes Thursday night each week. I am against doing a draft because I like the potential value in a rookie draft at the end of the season if no one got picked up in the meantime. But I won't complain if we did just the three mini rounds during the byes.

Agreed. I feel with the mid-season draft, the value of a rookie pick plummets immensely. And seeing as Rookie Picks can be traded for and with National picks, it makes it more fun then a fixed mid-season draft. We got little games over the bye rounds to keep us interested. And I think it is enough. If we are truly trying to mirror the AFL, we can bring back the Mid-season draft once the AFL re-introduces it (Which comes into speculation every year). And this is coming from the team who finished on the bottom.   

Football Factory

Don't like the idea of a trade period during the season ... the team/squad you start the season with should be what you finish with (mainly in regards to trading premo's as the mid season draft does change your team but benefits the bottom teams) . We already have 2 trade periods, more than enough, don't think anyone even made a trade in bye period 2 ?.. or if they did it was very few.

Football Factory

Quote from: Pkbaldy on March 09, 2016, 08:17:20 AM

Agreed. I feel with the mid-season draft, the value of a rookie pick plummets immensely. And seeing as Rookie Picks can be traded for and with National picks, it makes it more fun then a fixed mid-season draft. We got little games over the bye rounds to keep us interested. And I think it is enough. If we are truly trying to mirror the AFL, we can bring back the Mid-season draft once the AFL re-introduces it (Which comes into speculation every year). And this is coming from the team who finished on the bottom.

Cant believe you're against the mid season draft, as the bottom team you get to pick the best player going in the Rookie draft and the Mid season draft. As I said earlier the quality of players drops off after the first few picks and then the rookie draft gets topped up with left overs from the National draft, plus the next batch of players that emerge after the mid season draft. Surprised you're one of the people against it ?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Football Factory on March 09, 2016, 02:14:10 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on March 09, 2016, 08:17:20 AM

Cant believe you're against the mid season draft, as the bottom team you get to pick the best player going in the Rookie draft and the Mid season draft. As I said earlier the quality of players drops off after the first few picks and then the rookie draft gets topped up with left overs from the National draft, plus the next batch of players that emerge after the mid season draft. Surprised you're one of the people against it ?

Yeah it CAN be a benefit. But if you don't have a mid-season draft the value of my R1 would of sky rocketed (And R13 would of been worth more too), and I would of been able to trade them for really good NAT picks or even decent players). It's a 50/50 sort of thing. I just over rate the value of NAT and Rookie picks, and having more and better players in the rookie draft is just better.

Football Factory

How does it sky rocket ? you get first pick in both drafts, take the best player going. As I have suggested a few times already the talent drops off a lot in the Rookie draft, unless you are lucky (or really skilled) you wont get a player that will ever make your team (just depth). Most teams don't even bother with their Rookie picks (Rookie Draft) they just skip them.

Nige

I'm fairly opposed to any kind of midseason draft or trade period. I don't like the idea of allowing people to improve or fix their lists during the middle of the season. We've got large enough lists that it shouldn't be an issue. The offseason is a long, long time for a coach to make all the necessary list changes and if they're needing an extra draft or trade period, they clearly wasted their offseason. The trade period side of things also benefits those who are more active, as they're more likely to actually do something than the coaches who just turn up to submit a team every week.

Most of these comps, to an extent, try to replicate the AFL. Carlton were a basketcase for pretty much all of last year and they weren't allowed to trade an underperforming player for someone in form and they weren't allowed to suddenly draft Weitering or Schache midseason.

In my opinion, half the fun of these comps is that an injury or two can derail a season, it happens in the AFL (GWS with Mummy) and for me, that adds more interest than 'struggling' teams getting charity because we've got nothing else to do over bye rounds. If you really want something to do over the bye rounds, why not have an opt in or opt out (whatever people prefer) competition over those three rounds where the team that scores the highest total points or whatever gets bragging rights. Purely a suggestion an alternative to the midseason draft or trade period options which I'm not really fond of whatsoever.

LF

Well said Nige

Also we do have a comp that runs over the bye period,this season it's a rivalry round one devised by Atto which should be good fun for everyone and create interest from the coaches
Last season it was USA v Allstars over the bye period however this season Atto has fixtured this into the last few rounds of the year

Football Factory

Quote from: Nige on March 09, 2016, 03:35:45 PM
I'm fairly opposed to any kind of midseason draft or trade period. I don't like the idea of allowing people to improve or fix their lists during the middle of the season. We've got large enough lists that it shouldn't be an issue. The offseason is a long, long time for a coach to make all the necessary list changes and if they're needing an extra draft or trade period, they clearly wasted their offseason. The trade period side of things also benefits those who are more active, as they're more likely to actually do something than the coaches who just turn up to submit a team every week.

Most of these comps, to an extent, try to replicate the AFL. Carlton were a basketcase for pretty much all of last year and they weren't allowed to trade an underperforming player for someone in form and they weren't allowed to suddenly draft Weitering or Schache midseason.

In my opinion, half the fun of these comps is that an injury or two can derail a season, it happens in the AFL (GWS with Mummy) and for me, that adds more interest than 'struggling' teams getting charity because we've got nothing else to do over bye rounds. If you really want something to do over the bye rounds, why not have an opt in or opt out (whatever people prefer) competition over those three rounds where the team that scores the highest total points or whatever gets bragging rights. Purely a suggestion an alternative to the midseason draft or trade period options which I'm not really fond of whatsoever.

Im against having a trade period during the year as it could be the difference between a team finishing top 4 or winning the Grandfinal, I don't think it should be decided like that.

Still think if the majority are for keeping an existing rule (or 6-6) then we should keep it, I don't know how you can get rid of something people want.

Nige

Quote from: LF on March 09, 2016, 03:42:58 PM
Well said Nige

Also we do have a comp that runs over the bye period,this season it's a rivalry round one devised by Atto which should be good fun for everyone and create interest from the coaches
Last season it was USA v Allstars over the bye period however this season Atto has fixtured this into the last few rounds of the year
Sounds good to me!

Quote from: Football Factory on March 09, 2016, 03:48:05 PM
Im against having a trade period during the year as it could be the difference between a team finishing top 4 or winning the Grandfinal, I don't think it should be decided like that.

Still think if the majority are for keeping an existing rule (or 6-6) then we should keep it, I don't know how you can get rid of something people want.
The problem is though, there is no majority. 6-6 is an even split. If you've already sent out a vote on whether to keep or scrap the draft, you can't say "we're keeping it" when the coaches are divided. Half the coaches may not be interested or want to be a part of such a draft and it's not really something one can opt out of because it gives an advantage to those who partake. The democratic option has already been chosen, so basically if anything is to happen, there'll have to be another vote and along with the yes/no or whatever, coaches should be made to give a reason, because I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if some of the votes were more of a 'not fussed/throwaway vote' thinking their vote wouldn't matter.

Football Factory

Quote from: Nige on March 09, 2016, 04:59:38 PM
Well said Nige

Sounds good to me!

The problem is though, there is no majority. 6-6 is an even split. If you've already sent out a vote on whether to keep or scrap the draft, you can't say "we're keeping it" when the coaches are divided. Half the coaches may not be interested or want to be a part of such a draft and it's not really something one can opt out of because it gives an advantage to those who partake. The democratic option has already been chosen, so basically if anything is to happen, there'll have to be another vote and along with the yes/no or whatever, coaches should be made to give a reason, because I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if some of the votes were more of a 'not fussed/throwaway vote' thinking their vote wouldn't matter.

So what if we all vote the same ? I think the deciding factor needs to be something like what I have suggested. If its an existing rule then and the majority are not against then it is kept.

Originally the coaches voted it in. Also no one complained about it, it was only raised because LF and Atto wanted to get rid of it. Reasons im not sure ? something to do with wanting to implement a free agency originally, which hasn't been raised as yet, only discussed briefly.

Football Factory

Nige

Quote from: Football Factory on March 09, 2016, 05:17:20 PM
Quote from: Nige on March 09, 2016, 04:59:38 PM
Well said Nige

Sounds good to me!

So what if we all vote the same ? I think the deciding factor needs to be something like what I have suggested. If its an existing rule then and the majority are not against then it is kept.
This probably makes more sense in my head, but I was really thinking that the reason for the yes/no vote should validate the vote. If it's a flimsy, half-hearted reason, the vote shouldn't be counted towards the tally.

By making the decision to keep the draft, you're doing two things. 1) You're kinda defeating the point of the vote being drawn by 'well even though half voted scrap, we'll keep it' and 2) You're forcing coaches to take part in the a draft they've stated they don't want to be a part of.

Basically, I see scrapping the draft and pleasing the 6 that voted for that as the better decision for the comp because it can do without it. There's absolutley no need to be unnecessarily charitable, especially if people don't want it.

It probably won't happen, but it would be interesting to know who voted for which option as it would probably make the final decision easier. The admins should probably discuss the pros and cons, and ultimately cast a '13th' deciding vote. The reason I say this is because I see one of the arguments for the draft is because it helps the bottom teams (aka those who finished outside the 8 - Bolivia, Springfield, Washington and Dalls I believe). Knowing which they'd prefer could probably solve the problem. However, as I said, removing it altogether does more good than harm.

Football Factory

I added a couple of things to my previous post, which I think moves the majority over to keeping it.

LF

We have given our reasons as to why we don't want it and it was stated that there would be a vote to keep or remove the draft regardless of whether we had free agency or not.
And to add to this Atto and myself have been discussing some other things to do with the comp that means there will be no need at all for a mid season draft(no it's not free agency),the current Nat and rookie draft with 2 trade periods is ample to manage your team lists