Preliminary XI discussion

Started by ossie85, December 13, 2014, 03:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

Quote from: Nige on January 15, 2015, 10:32:27 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on January 15, 2015, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on January 15, 2015, 09:02:39 PM
Sheffield Shield only? Or maybe include the Matador Cup and Big Bash if we have to?
Id be keen on Matador Cup and Shield Combo.

I would like to include the BBL as well, but squads are too different. Let me try and think of a format we could have it in.
But if we're using the players, then the squads wouldn't matter.
What about all the international players who come over for the BBL, as well as the retired one (Eg. Hussey) who just play Big Bash?

PowerBug

Let's say we go across all three Australian Domestic competitions. What can happen is you draft a squad of say, 10-15 players, which you use for Sheffield Shield and Matador Cup. Then prior to the Big Bash, there is either a bid or a draft again for managers to pick up 3-4 T20 only players. These could be Internationals or they can be undrafted state players

There are obviously complications here. Only 6 teams in the cup, so if we have more than 6 teams, then we can't be starting 11 players each, it won't work. Maybe it could be a VII's game, where we each 7 players, and the structure can vary (e.g. 3 bats, 1 keep, 3 bowl. Or 2 bats, 2AR 1 keep, 2 bowl)

There can obviously be variations on the exact numbers we choose from here, but that seems like a potential worker for this comp.

Edit: There will be interest in this no doubt, so we might want to make a 8 team league. On any given round there are 66 State players playing. In BBL there are 88. If we had 8 teams with 6 playing players in them, that means there's 18 spare players going around, which seems a fair number. The poor team should still be able to fill their first 6.

Come BBL time, we crank it up. Maybe turn it to an 8 player list, and draft off about another 4 rounds of players. This would require 64 players, and as 88 play, that is 24 left over, which should account for things like byes and DGW's.

PowerBug

Another issue we have is timing. It's currently middle of the season and BBL is over. So if we were to start and draft, we are either in the dark for 7 months waiting, or we have to wait and draft at a later date when the 2015-16 squads get revealed.

It'll be tough to do, especially since the interest levels will be close to if not the same as the AFL draft comps, but with under half the selection pool of players.

Nige

Quote from: PowerBug on January 15, 2015, 10:57:37 PM
Another issue we have is timing. It's currently middle of the season and BBL is over. So if we were to start and draft, we are either in the dark for 7 months waiting, or we have to wait and draft at a later date when the 2015-16 squads get revealed.

It'll be tough to do, especially since the interest levels will be close to if not the same as the AFL draft comps, but with under half the selection pool of players.
Yeah, that's quite a problem too. Cricket's basically all year round unlike footy which has an offseason.

PowerBug

Quote from: Nige on January 15, 2015, 11:05:22 PM

Yeah, that's quite a problem too. Cricket's basically all year round unlike footy which has an offseason.
What I'm suggesting though isn't all year round, it is just the Australian Domestic, nothing else. You could always do the English domestic as there are so many more players to choose from (198), but the interest and knowledge will be a lot lower.

What I suggest is basically how the XV's run now, and with the added component for the different leagues.

Nige

Quote from: PowerBug on January 15, 2015, 11:10:37 PM
Quote from: Nige on January 15, 2015, 11:05:22 PM

What I'm suggesting though isn't all year round, it is just the Australian Domestic, nothing else. You could always do the English domestic as there are so many more players to choose from (198), but the interest and knowledge will be a lot lower.

What I suggest is basically how the XV's run now, and with the added component for the different leagues.
Oh, I know what you meant. I was kinda adding on to what you said about it being middle of the season.

PowerBug

What do others think of this? I might put this idea in a new thread or something, because I like it (Obviously, being my idea)

nrich102

I think I'd just go for the Australian competitions at first, but maybe going overseas later, in further seasons?

nrich102

Will post this here, rather than in PBs thread.

We will need different scoring systems over the 3 comps. For the BBL we can use the current scoring system, and I have come up with a system we can use for the Shield competition. Feel free to suggest changes to the scoring system.

Action = points

1 run = 1 point
Duck (excluding  bowlers) = -20
Not out (Has to face 5 balls min) = 5

Strike rate bonus (Must score 25 runs to qualify)
Strike rate of 50-75= 10
Strike rate of 75-100 = 25
Strike rate of 100+ = 50

Wicket = 15
Maiden over = 5

Economy rate bonus (Must bowl at least 5 overs)
Less than 2 rpo = 25
2.01-3.99 rpo = 10

Catch = 15
Run Out = 30
Stumping (WK) = 30

To put the system to the test, I put New South Wales' scores from this game into scores. (May be out a little as NSW got totally smashed)

Player   Score
Larkin   35
Carters   87
Henry   115
Patterson   100
Rohrer   97
Neville   177
Jackson   28
Lalor   37
Sandhu   81
Somerville   27
Hazlewood   166
Average   86.364

I will look at doing the Victorian innings tomorrow, but tired now.

Thoughts?

Kellogscrunchynut

I think you guys are onto something good here.

nrich102

Done up the Victorian innings, fair to say they scored a little different

Player   Score
Quiney   143
King   -7
Stoinis   246
Hussey   189
Wade   144
Handscomb   153
Christian   160
Hastings   130
Boland   155
Fawad Ahmed   190
Tremain   95
Average   145.273

I'll have a look at a game where it ended in a draw for some other scores.

PowerBug

I remember when cricinfo had their fantasy game for the test series, they gave out points not for strike rate and economy, but for milestones. So 50, 100, 3 wickets, 5 wickets (Can't remember the points exactly). And then also 100 points for the official MOTM.

nrich102

Quote from: PowerBug on January 16, 2015, 09:46:49 AM
I remember when cricinfo had their fantasy game for the test series, they gave out points not for strike rate and economy, but for milestones. So 50, 100, 3 wickets, 5 wickets (Can't remember the points exactly). And then also 100 points for the official MOTM.
I don't really like that sort of system. Think we should keep to a system similar to what the BBL uses, or else it would be too different for all the different formats.

nrich102

Done up the scores for this game, which ended in a draw.

Player   Score
WA
Bancroft   84
Harris   25
Klinger   155
Marsh   90
Whiteman   92
Agar   191
Rimmington   107
Tye   120
Mackin   190
Hogan   104
Average   115.8

Tasmania   
Silk   43
Cowan   85
Doolan   41
Wells   104
Dunk   36
Faulkner   239
Paine   70
Rose   93
Hilfenhaus   165
Rainbird   180
Fekete   207
Average   114.8

So here the scores are much similar. Over the 2 matches I've done so far, the average player score is roughly 95.

So thoughts on this scoring system?

PowerBug

Quote from: nrich102 on January 16, 2015, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on January 16, 2015, 09:46:49 AM
I don't really like that sort of system. Think we should keep to a system similar to what the BBL uses, or else it would be too different for all the different formats.
What you have is different to BBL already though. They are different competitions, so they can have different scoring. THey have scoring that suits the game.