Main Menu

The Highest Paid Bulldog

Started by Mr.Craig, November 18, 2014, 03:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

I don't think Pk was referring to the salary cap issues, it was more they will leave as nobody wants to play for a bad team.

meow meow

Ridiculous statement then, especially from a St Kilda supporter. Won't be down the bottom forever.

Grazz

My concern for your club MM is more how will the 7 at 500k, 7 at 350k and 7 at 200k going to feel about a nine game player walking in and virtually getting double the salary of the next highest paid player not wether the club can afford it. Human nature will certainly see a few of those thinking hang on a minute ive been busting my alps here (Libba for example) and this guy comes in on double my wage, it has to cause some disharmony unless they are bunch of very unique individuals that you have there. I dont see a mass exodus of players at all but can envisage a couple saying bugger this im not valued here so im moving on and depending on who those individuals are goes along to determining how much it will hurt, say for example if Macrae and Libba walk then that will hurt a lot compared to say Hunter or Cambell. As your A grade players get better and better and deserve or require a pay rise to keep them it's gunna be harder to find the dollars for it because your paying X to Boyd. These are more my concerns for your club.
I agree with others statements clubs are going to have to pay overs to lure the players they need to complete the jigsaw, no doubt about that but a million a year to a guy 9 games old is just ridiculous imo and way more than overs it's extreme.

meow meow

Money for the guns won't be a problem. We've got so much room in our cap that Libba and Macrae would still be making as much money with us as they would elsewhere. There's literally no reason for them to leave since they won't be offered better contracts anywhere else, and our team has as much talent as any other team out there, more so with Boyd.

With all the room in the cap we could have spread the money around and give everyone a 10K pay rise but that won't make a difference to anything, and it wouldn't be the difference whether a player stays or goes. Luring a (potential) genuine superstar in the making will make a huge difference, and will actually help with player retention rather than force players out. Sure it is way overs at this stage, but in 5 years when the cap will be closer to 12M than 10M, 1M will be the going rate for a gun KPF. It would cost us even more to go out and try to lure him to our club if/when he is absolutely dominant.

We lost Griffen, Cooney and Higgins. That's 1.5M opened up in the cap. More on the way with Boyd, Morris and Murphy coming to the end. We could have given everyone a small pay rise, gone out and gotten 2X 500K players, or 3 decent quality 350K players, but we'd still have the same problem as always. Boyd is a big gamble that we have to take if we want to get anywhere. The players would undertand it, and it's not going to make much of a difference to their own contracts.

Grazz

Quote from: meow meow on November 19, 2014, 09:20:34 PM
Money for the guns won't be a problem. We've got so much room in our cap that Libba and Macrae would still be making as much money with us as they would elsewhere. There's literally no reason for them to leave since they won't be offered better contracts anywhere else, and our team has as much talent as any other team out there, more so with Boyd.

With all the room in the cap we could have spread the money around and give everyone a 10K pay rise but that won't make a difference to anything, and it wouldn't be the difference whether a player stays or goes. Luring a (potential) genuine superstar in the making will make a huge difference, and will actually help with player retention rather than force players out. Sure it is way overs at this stage, but in 5 years when the cap will be closer to 12M than 10M, 1M will be the going rate for a gun KPF. It would cost us even more to go out and try to lure him to our club if/when he is absolutely dominant.

We lost Griffen, Cooney and Higgins. That's 1.5M opened up in the cap. More on the way with Boyd, Morris and Murphy coming to the end. We could have given everyone a small pay rise, gone out and gotten 2X 500K players, or 3 decent quality 350K players, but we'd still have the same problem as always. Boyd is a big gamble that we have to take if we want to get anywhere. The players would undertand it, and it's not going to make much of a difference to their own contracts.

Yep fair enough mate, covered that well.  ;)

meow meow

Let's put it this way. If Boyd is these ages and kicks this many goals...

20: 20
21: 30
22: 40
23: 50
24: 50
25: 60
26: 60
27: 70
28: 70
29: 60
30: 50
31: 40
32: 30

...he'll be the 25th best forward in the history of the game. If that's not worth the big bucks then nothing is. Based on his junior form and the glimpses he has shown at AFL level, this isn't an unrealistic expectation.

Mailman the 2nd

He can kick as many goals as he wants. The dogs have done the damage all around him. In 2-3 years time when Murphy, Boyd and Morris are done they'll be 0 experience to build a team around.

Grazz

Never doubted the kids ability and he should be some kind of player for ya's, i just think players need to have some credibility on the boards before that kind of cash gets tossed about. Maybe im to old and unwilling to move with the times mate, the game is changing.

Mailman the 2nd

I never said you'd be useless, I said that by the time Boyd gets to kick 40+ goals a season (which is an assumption straight off) the experience won't be there to build a strong team for another 3-4 years after that.

Grant has basically been a VFL player. Minson got dropped occasionally as well. Neither of them are players you can build around, or any of the players in the 26-31 range you have there.

All those players will be 25 and under, that's a strong experience base in 4 years maybe, and that's only a base. You have to then create sustainable depth around that and develop chemistry around a core group of players. All the players leaving will just prolong that

Ricochet

Players are used to the environment these days and are well aware that some players get paid more/deserve more. It won't really be an issue in terms of attitude and players getting offside of Boyd coming in (unless Boyd is a dickhead as a bloke).