Main Menu

The Highest Paid Bulldog

Started by Mr.Craig, November 18, 2014, 03:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

They're going to want to hope Tom Boyd works out and ends up being worth it.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nige on November 18, 2014, 03:58:07 PM

Everyone will leave before his contract finishes.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 18, 2014, 03:59:28 PM

That will make commentating their games pretty easy.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 18, 2014, 04:03:11 PM

That will make commentating their games pretty easy.

Be full of 18 year old kids that nobody know and Boyd? Be annoying  ;)

Holz

bit of a luck of the draw on these things.

Guys like Scully and Boyd hit pay dirt for moving to young clubs. Where beter players like Omeara don't get anywhere near that yet.

Grazz

I'll be brutally honest here, i can't see this be anything but bad news for the club in the long term. There would have to be plenty of angst among some of the existing group regarding the dollars thrown at him. For me it just smacks of a tit for tat thing, ie you take Griffen then we'll take Boyd from you murmamamurmur. Crazy situation, just crazy. The kids got an abundance of talent no question
about that but to throw that money at a 9 game AFL player makes for a slippery slope in my opinion. his deal i feel could have a dramatic affect for all clubs looking to draft a high draft pick. Managers everywhere will bringing up this deal. I think it's opened up a big can of worms.

Holz

Quote from: Grazz on November 18, 2014, 05:04:30 PM
I'll be brutally honest here, i can't see this be anything but bad news for the club in the long term. There would have to be plenty of angst among some of the existing group regarding the dollars thrown at him. For me it just smacks of a tit for tat thing, ie you take Griffen then we'll take Boyd from you murmamamurmur. Crazy situation, just crazy. The kids got an abundance of talent no question
about that but to throw that money at a 9 game AFL player makes for a slippery slope in my opinion. his deal i feel could have a dramatic affect for all clubs looking to draft a high draft pick. Managers everywhere will bringing up this deal. I think it's opened up a big can of worms.

definitely agree here, he lives up to his potential and turns into a superstar than they breakeven. He is getting paid more than some of the most elite players in the comp so needs to join those ranks to just be worth his pay. Obsoletely zero upside for him unless he turns into a Wayne Carey type.

Even something like 650k is an overpay but at least that's somewhat reasonable.

basically makes a mockery of most contracts.

Grazz

Quote from: Holz on November 18, 2014, 05:18:52 PM

definitely agree here, he lives up to his potential and turns into a superstar than they breakeven. He is getting paid more than some of the most elite players in the comp so needs to join those ranks to just be worth his pay. Obsoletely zero upside for him unless he turns into a Wayne Carey type.

Agree mate. The pressure that money will bring to bear on Boyd to perform will be huge, how he handles that will go along way to who or what he becomes. To much pressure for mine.

Ziplock

Quote from: Grazz on November 18, 2014, 05:27:53 PM

Agree mate. The pressure that money will bring to bear on Boyd to perform will be huge, how he handles that will go along way to who or what he becomes. To much pressure for mine.

but, to put it into perspective a US baseballer just got a 365 million dollar contract, so :P

Mailman the 2nd

I always thought it was a horrifically bad move from the Bulldogs, still have to wait and see though

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock on November 18, 2014, 05:35:23 PM
Quote from: Grazz on November 18, 2014, 05:27:53 PM

but, to put it into perspective a US baseballer just got a 365 million dollar contract, so :P

That is huge money.  :o

quinny88

That's just the way the game is now though. If you are a lower club and want to lure a player you need to offer something they can't refuse. Even if you are a top club you need to. Look at the 9 year Buddy deal.
The dogs have been screaming out for a key forward since Barry Hall retired. No one is going to willingly go and play there without some very good incentive, particularly after the shambles the club went through recently with their coach and a number of players either being sacked or leaving.
They are certainly paying overs but we are seeing that more and more now. Hopefully for their sake it works out but unfortunately they didn't have much of a choice

Toga

They needed to do something to get that key forward they were after, and that's what they did. I'm pretty confident Boyd will become a great player but whether the Doggies come out on top after losing Griffen, Pick 7, $800k towards Griffen's contract, plus whatever else they are giving up to pay Boyd we will have to wait and see.

meow meow

You ignorant creature. If we kept Griffen and didn't get Boyd, everything would be sweet but now that we've done that trade there isn't going to be enough money to go around?

Salary cap without either: 10M = $250,000 per player
Salary cap with Griffen: 9.2M = $235,900 per player
Salary cap with Boyd: 9M = $230,800 per player

That's a difference of $5,100 from having Boyd instead of Griffen. Max exodus on the way, right?

Lists can be split up into different categories so easily. Something tells me that Jong, Redpath, Honeychurch and Roberts would be happy with being VFL players who get paid 90K a year + match payments if they crack the senior team. Half of our list is this quality and pay rate.

18 reserves: $1.62 million
1 Boyd: $1 Million
21 Seniors: 7.38M/ $351K each

The bottom third of the best 22 aren't on 350K a season. The top third of the best 22 would all be over 500K. Pick our 8 best players (the ones we're going to lose apparently). Murphy would be one (gone soon). Cooney was one (gone). Guys like Crameri are on the 350K middle tier. Griff>Boyd makes absolutely no difference to him, or anyone else really.

Libba is on 500K, that's with Griffen in the salary cap. Take Griff out and replace him with Boyd and Libba's percentage of the salary cap is now 490K. How many players are going to leave a young team stacked with talent over a 5k-10k loss? I'm guessing none.

Plus the salary cap will be closer to 12M than 10M by the 7th year of Boyd's contract and 1M will be the going rate for a gun KPF, and the rise will more than make up for that 5K loss.

Rough breakdown of payments:

1 @ 1M per year (Boyd)
7 @ 500K (Cooney, Murphy (soon), Libba, Dahlhaus, Bont, Stringer, Macrae, ??)
7 @ 350K (locks in best 22, but not in top 8 - Higgins, Crameri, M. Boyd, Picken etc)
7 @ 200K (Fringe best 22 - Stevens, Hunter, Campbell etc)
18 @ 90K (Darley, Jong, Roberts etc)

I doubt we're going to have 8 players worthy of more than 500K. If we have 6 of them (inc Boyd) and 9 in the 200K range, that's $620K each for the 5 in the tier below T. Boyd.
Bontempelli has signed a 2 year contract extention and I'm betting it's not in the 500K tier yet. That's 2 years (300K) that can go to Libba, putting him in the 650K range (or as high as 770K without Bont in the 2nd tier), possibly on a front loaded 4 year contract that will claim just 350K in years 3 and 4.

There's slight variations on contracts, like Picken might be on 320 and Stevens on 230 but that's basically it.