Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Quote from: Spite on September 29, 2015, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on September 29, 2015, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on September 29, 2015, 10:02:04 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 29, 2015, 09:57:10 AM
2015 AFL Season ‏@theafloffseason
Jeremy Howe is set to meet with Collingwood according to 1116 SEN.

Will take Seedsman!

Pls no

No to seedsman or no to Howe? I keep telling people that Seedsman hasn't had an injury free Pre-season yet and has to keep coming into the season underdone, he will be a solid player!

This time last year you also said Josh Thomas is better than Jake Stringer though. Might be looking through black and white coloured glasses. Offensively Seedsman is awesome but his defensive game makes him an absolute liability. Can't play him forward since he can't mark. Can't win his own ball so can't play midfield. He could be an Isaac Smith wing type if he learnt how to concentrate and not get lost but his concentration lapses costs goals too often. Sucks in a one-on-one contest too.

Spite

Quote from: meow meow on September 29, 2015, 03:32:53 PM
Quote from: Spite on September 29, 2015, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on September 29, 2015, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on September 29, 2015, 10:02:04 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 29, 2015, 09:57:10 AM
2015 AFL Season ‏@theafloffseason
Jeremy Howe is set to meet with Collingwood according to 1116 SEN.

Will take Seedsman!

Pls no

No to seedsman or no to Howe? I keep telling people that Seedsman hasn't had an injury free Pre-season yet and has to keep coming into the season underdone, he will be a solid player!

This time last year you also said Josh Thomas is better than Jake Stringer though. Might be looking through black and white coloured glasses. Offensively Seedsman is awesome but his defensive game makes him an absolute liability. Can't play him forward since he can't mark. Can't win his own ball so can't play midfield. He could be an Isaac Smith wing type if he learnt how to concentrate and not get lost but his concentration lapses costs goals too often. Sucks in a one-on-one contest too.

I'm not sure I said that but if I did, I still think JT was better than Stringer last year. The fact stringer exploded this season is irrelevant. I also don't know why you brought that up now, did you want me to go back through some of your more ridiculous calls and post them to try and discredit your views?
Moving on from that, I have never hidden the fact Seedsman is a defensive liability. I've said it myself. I certainty do think he can be an Isaac Smith type player in the future but let's not judge a player who hasn't had a pre-season at all yet since it is quite amazing what one can do.

EDIT*

Quote from: Spite on August 12, 2015, 04:21:27 PM

The kid has never had a preseason at AFL level, always gets injured at the start of every year. All it takes is a good pre-season and he will be set. Of course learning two way running and having some defensive capabilities wouldn't hurt in real AFL terms, not fantasy.

Just in case you thought my black and white coloured glasses was stopping me from seeing a flaw in him Meow. Also how did you determine my definition of a "Solid player"? We could have very different definitions of a "solid" player and I can't see how even after what you wrote, you don't think in the future he can be a "solid" player at all? You said he could be an Isaac Smith wing type player if he learned how to concentrate so is that not solid? Exactly what part did you not like about what I originally said?

meow meow

Haha just pointing out that you overrate players in black and white! Players can survive on potential for only so long. Seedsman was huge on Anzac Day but later in the season he looked terrible in the VFL. He's no certainty to make it at AFL level. There's plenty of things that a preseason won't fix. Collingwood would be well aware that he had no preseason but they're willing to trade him anyway. There is other aspects of his game other than fitness that he needs to work on and the Pies must not think he can improve on them so they are willing to move him on by the sounds of it.

Spite

Quote from: meow meow on September 29, 2015, 04:10:12 PM
Haha just pointing out that you overrate players in black and white! Players can survive on potential for only so long. Seedsman was huge on Anzac Day but later in the season he looked terrible in the VFL. He's no certainty to make it at AFL level. There's plenty of things that a preseason won't fix.

Stringer 12.22 disposals, 1.44 goals, 2.39 tackles, 0.5 goal assists
JThomas 19 disposals, 0.7 goals, 4.6 tackles and 0.7 goal assists

Unsubbed averages from 2014. Both in their second year. Stringer obviously played deeper forward and JT played forward unless injury permitted him to play in the midfield. He had 3 goals and 29 touches twice out of 10 games.

My quote of what was said was "Josh Thomas has shown at least equal to what stringer has. "

I still think that is a very fair statement. I guess if everyone can look above and without a doubt say stringer had the better year then maybe I am not only overrating Collingwood players but stats in general.

EDIT* I messed up and fixed the stats

meow meow

Quote from: Spite on September 29, 2015, 04:23:38 PM
Haha just pointing out that you overrate players in black and white! Players can survive on potential for only so long. Seedsman was huge on Anzac Day but later in the season he looked terrible in the VFL. He's no certainty to make it at AFL level. There's plenty of things that a preseason won't fix.

Unsubbed averages from 2014. Both in their second year. Stringer obviously played deeper forward and JT played forward unless injury permitted him to play in the midfield. He had 3 goals and 29 touches twice out of 10 games.

My quote of what was said was "Josh Thomas has shown at least equal to what stringer has. "

I still think that is a very fair statement. I guess if everyone can look above and without a doubt say stringer had the better year then maybe I am not only overrating Collingwood players but stats in general.

Yep stats across the season don't tell the story. Stringer didn't really do anything this year that he wasn't already doing in the 2nd half of last year once he returned from his stint in the VFL. He was like 2 different players over the course of the 2014 season and really established himself in the second half of the year once things clicked. From round 15 onwards he kicked 22 goals and has simply kept that up this year.

It was Thomas' fourth year on Collingwood's list btw (injured the first 2 seasons). I like him and think he could be that solid player you're talking about but the Package had shown enough to suggest that he was going to be a force to be reckoned with.

IIRC the conversation was about who has the better players going forward, not who performed better in the season just gone.

But anyway, Seedsman could still go either way. Might be a solid or even gun AFL player or he could fail to improve and fade away to nothing. I wouldn't say he's a certainty to do either at this stage of his career and at 24 years old the clock is ticking.

Spite

Quote from: meow meow on September 29, 2015, 04:50:22 PM
Quote from: Spite on September 29, 2015, 04:23:38 PM

Yep stats across the season don't tell the story. Stringer didn't really do anything this year that he wasn't already doing in the 2nd half of last year once he returned from his stint in the VFL. He was like 2 different players over the course of the 2014 season and really established himself in the second half of the year once things clicked. From round 15 onwards he kicked 22 goals and has simply kept that up this year.

It was Thomas' fourth year on Collingwood's list btw (injured the first 2 seasons). I like him and think he could be that solid player you're talking about but the Package had shown enough to suggest that he was going to be a force to be reckoned with.

IIRC the conversation was about who has the better players going forward, not who performed better in the season just gone.

But anyway, Seedsman could still go either way. Might be a solid or even gun AFL player or he could fail to improve and fade away to nothing. I wouldn't say he's a certainty to do either at this stage of his career and at 24 years old the clock is ticking.

Sure but remember we don't judge or care about season 2015 in the context of this discussion. I see Stringer kicking 22 goals in 8 games and also him kicking 4 goals in 10 games. I had to judge him on both of those and obviously I could see his potential was quite great given those stats. But then I look at JT having two games purely on the ball and him gathering 29 touches and 3 goals, not once but twice. I see potential there too. So I said JT has shown at least equal to what Stringer has.
And that was with JT not having many pre seasons because of injuries  ;D (I meant both second year playing, I knew JT was injured and a foot injury is never good news)
Looking back on the convo, it looks like I was talking about who had drafted the best from 2008 onwards. I had compared players how they had gone until that point but if you were talking about who would be better in the future then that is entirely possible and would've just been a misunderstanding.

Back to Seedsman, sure it is plausible he is being traded out because we don't think he will make it, but on the flip side, there is significant interest by at least 4 clubs, so they obviously think he can make it.
I think it is more of a case of we initially wanted him to develop as a running half back flank but realistically, with Reid, Brown, Frost, Goldy, Toovey, Marley, Langdon, Shaz, Ramsay and potentially Oxley already in front of him, what is the point in holding him? If we want him as a winger, we are already losing Freeman because there aren't enough mid spots so Seeds has no chance.

kilbluff1985

guys can u like discuss this in another thread

meow meow

Haha I think we're done.

Something that belongs here is that Geelong has told Hendo that they probably won't be able to pick him up now, and he walked out on the Blues thinking he was headed to the Cats haha.

powersuperkents

Quote from: meow meow on September 29, 2015, 05:25:45 PM
Haha I think we're done.

Something that belongs here is that Geelong has told Hendo that they probably won't be able to pick him up now, and he walked out on the Blues thinking he was headed to the Cats haha.
The fact he didn't respect his contract with Carlton (and failed to play the season out before informing them of his decision) will not be perceived well by other clubs.

I still think a few teams would pursue him though

I'm happy that the Crows have forced the Cats to the trade table. It would have been unfair if they got Scooter, Hendo, & Danger (thus rebuilding their club) over one offseason (I'm not sure about how they could afford it either)

RaisyDaisy

Good to see the AFL knocked back Carlton and Brisbane's applications for a priority pick

Purple 77

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on September 30, 2015, 03:57:03 PM
Good to see the AFL knocked back Carlton and Brisbane's applications for a priority pick

!

Ricochet

http://www.afc.com.au/adelaidecrows/news/2015-09-30/crows-announce-list-changes?vgnextrefresh=1

QuoteBrodie Martin and rookie-listed pair Anthony Wilson and Jack Osborn (Category B) haven’t been offered new contracts for next season.

As agreed, Sam Siggins has also been delisted after returning to Tasmania for personal reasons in August.

RaisyDaisy

I reckon Brodie Martin has more to offer

Has the ability to be best 22 in a lower ranked side I think. Hopefully for his sake he gets picked up

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 29, 2015, 05:45:17 PM
I'm happy that the Crows have forced the Cats to the trade table. It would have been unfair if they got Scooter, Hendo, & Danger (thus rebuilding their club) over one offseason (I'm not sure about how they could afford it either)

Eagles are going to send Cats to the table too. Will match what Geelong offer him

Ricochet

Bennell has met with Richmond today.

Don't be silly Harley, you know you want to come home