Main Menu

Movies: Warning - May contain spoilers

Started by Noz, January 14, 2014, 02:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Nige on April 16, 2017, 01:46:47 AM
Lego Batman was actually pretty good to be honest, or at least a lot better than I expected. It was really funny in some parts and there were some really good references and jokes that younger audiences wouldn't understand or appreciate. The cast (voices) was pretty cool too. 7.5/10, I'd recommend it if you're a Batman/DC fan.

I just assumed that movie was for children?  :-X

I saw The Fate of The Furious

Typical of what you'd expect really. I enjoy the series, but far out numerous times I just sat there sighing in disbelief. The BS factor and cheese factor is just way too much for me to handle. You go in knowing there's going to be plenty of it, but LMAO it's just ridiculous

Nige

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 16, 2017, 01:56:43 AM
Quote from: Nige on April 16, 2017, 01:46:47 AM
Lego Batman was actually pretty good to be honest, or at least a lot better than I expected. It was really funny in some parts and there were some really good references and jokes that younger audiences wouldn't understand or appreciate. The cast (voices) was pretty cool too. 7.5/10, I'd recommend it if you're a Batman/DC fan.

I just assumed that movie was for children?  :-X
We're all someone's child mate!

I was interested in it but also assumed it would be kiddish but there's something in it for kids of all ages, even those who think they're too old for it.

LordSneeze

Any Horror movie suggestions to watch with someone who doesn't like jump scare horror?

jvalles69

Quote from: LordSneeze on April 19, 2017, 12:47:42 PM
Any Horror movie suggestions to watch with someone who doesn't like jump scare horror?

Insidious
Sinister
The Conjuring

Most horror these days have some sort of jump scares in them.  Those are good ones over the past 10 years off the top of my head.  If I think of any more when I'm home I'll post them up.

LordSneeze

Quote from: jvalles69 on April 19, 2017, 01:21:59 PM

Insidious
Sinister
The Conjuring

Most horror these days have some sort of jump scares in them.  Those are good ones over the past 10 years off the top of my head.  If I think of any more when I'm home I'll post them up.

Let me clarify a little bit as ive seen all of those myself and The Conjuring was the only one that id say wasn't jump scare heavy.

Im not really trying to work this out for myself though. I love horror and don't care about whether it is jump scare heavy or more of a dark tone.

Recent ones like Don't Breath & Lights Out are good ones recently and the types im thinking. They are more about building the characters rather than just throwing jump scares at you all the time. While they do have jump scares, it isn't the way they building the horror and tension into the movie.

Ps. No Clowns ive been told.

jvalles69

Quote from: LordSneeze on April 19, 2017, 01:27:11 PM

Insidious
Sinister
The Conjuring

Let me clarify a little bit as ive seen all of those myself and The Conjuring was the only one that id say wasn't jump scare heavy.

Im not really trying to work this out for myself though. I love horror and don't care about whether it is jump scare heavy or more of a dark tone.

Recent ones like Don't Breath & Lights Out are good ones recently and the types im thinking. They are more about building the characters rather than just throwing jump scares at you all the time. While they do have jump scares, it isn't the way they building the horror and tension into the movie.

Hush is great on Netflix, kinda like Don't Breathe, but the victim is deaf.  I've heard It Follows is ok too, but haven't seen that one yet.

LordSneeze

Quote from: jvalles69 on April 19, 2017, 01:52:16 PM

Insidious
Sinister
The Conjuring

Hush is great on Netflix, kinda like Don't Breathe, but the victim is deaf.  I've heard It Follows is ok too, but haven't seen that one yet.
Ive seen Hush, solid movie and an interesting take on the home invasion genre. Loved the ambience sound randomly going dead quiet and putting you into the shoes of the main character.
It Follows isn't too bad, it has had lots of hype and didn't do much for me, I felt it more comedy that horror, but then again I didn't really connect with the whole premise.

Feeling that I will probably go Mama which was Executive Produced by Guillermo Del Toro, who is one of my favourites.

Hellopplz

I liked The Witch, more of a psychological horror.

jvalles69

Quote from: LordSneeze on April 19, 2017, 03:07:03 PM

Insidious
Sinister
The Conjuring

Ive seen Hush, solid movie and an interesting take on the home invasion genre. Loved the ambience sound randomly going dead quiet and putting you into the shoes of the main character.
It Follows isn't too bad, it has had lots of hype and didn't do much for me, I felt it more comedy that horror, but then again I didn't really connect with the whole premise.

Feeling that I will probably go Mama which was Executive Produced by Guillermo Del Toro, who is one of my favourites.

Mama was great until the CGI happened.  Do you like M. Night Shymalen?  Split I loved, kinda horror/thriller.

Autopsy of Jane Doe I liked.  The Monster is good too, more of a sad story with a beast in the background.

Jukes

I have a fair few recommendations for that topic

Lake Mungo - 2009 low-budget Aussie film, creepy and unique.
Bone Tomahawk - horror/western/adventure/drama, very good - Patrick Wilson, Kurt Russell, and Matthew Fox. Highly recommended.
Mothman Prophecies - maybe not that much of a horror movie, but very creepy and unsettling
1408 - some minor jumpscares I guess, but overall not nearly as many as a normal, gimmicky horror movie - definitely a good to great movie overall.

Then of course there's stuff like the Shining, Alien, Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, The Fly, The Thing, etc which I'm sure everybody has seen and are basically pre-requisites to post in this thread (not really).

Next horror movies up for me are I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, Session 9, and Sinister, should be good (I hope)

LordSneeze

Quote from: jvalles69 on April 19, 2017, 07:03:36 PM
Quote from: LordSneeze on April 19, 2017, 03:07:03 PM

Insidious
Sinister
The Conjuring

Mama was great until the CGI happened.  Do you like M. Night Shymalen?  Split I loved, kinda horror/thriller.

Autopsy of Jane Doe I liked.  The Monster is good too, more of a sad story with a beast in the background.

Yeah that's what I heard as well. Willing to give it a go though, as the story is more what we are looking for.
I don't really like him that much, Sixth Sense IMO is his only good movie.
Split i really disliked, the story was poor, plot was riddled with holes, the sub plot was completely unneeded, character development was limited and it lost its way completely after 40 or so minutes.

Haven't seen Autopsy of Jane Doe or The Monster so will look them up.

LordSneeze

Quote from: Jukes on April 19, 2017, 07:11:09 PM

Bone Tomahawk - horror/western/adventure/drama, very good - Patrick Wilson, Kurt Russell, and Matthew Fox. Highly recommended.
Mothman Prophecies - maybe not that much of a horror movie, but very creepy and unsettling
1408 - some minor jumpscares I guess, but overall not nearly as many as a normal, gimmicky horror movie - definitely a good to great movie overall.

Then of course there's stuff like the Shining, Alien, Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, The Fly, The Thing, etc which I'm sure everybody has seen and are basically pre-requisites to post in this thread (not really).

Next horror movies up for me are I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, Session 9, and Sinister, should be good (I hope)

Heard some really good things about Lake Mungo defiantly one that i would like to see.
Bone Tomahawk id never heard of so will look that up.
Mothman Prophecies ive looked at before, but decided it wasn't for me.
1408 if i remember was solid, had John Cusack i think.

I am the pretty thing that lives in the house i watched on Netflix with a friend and had to turn it off as she couldn't handle it. Its pretty dark and chilling, but not overly scary.
Session 9 & Sinister i enjoyed.

jvalles69

Quote from: LordSneeze on April 20, 2017, 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: Jukes on April 19, 2017, 07:11:09 PM

Heard some really good things about Lake Mungo defiantly one that i would like to see.
Bone Tomahawk id never heard of so will look that up.
Mothman Prophecies ive looked at before, but decided it wasn't for me.
1408 if i remember was solid, had John Cusack i think.

I am the pretty thing that lives in the house i watched on Netflix with a friend and had to turn it off as she couldn't handle it. Its pretty dark and chilling, but not overly scary.
Session 9 & Sinister i enjoyed.

Bone Tomahawk was awesome, not just for the horror theme but was a solid western.

Been meaning to watch Lake Mungo so will have to get onto it.

Will have to check out that one on Netflix too!

jvalles69

Watched the new horror movie Get Out from comedian Peele.  Loved it! 

At home cos I'm a bit crook, just started watching The Void which is meant to be a pretty full on creature feature.

Hawka

Thinking of doing something very rare and going to the cinemas to see Guardians of the galaxy, normally not into superhero movies, but the first one was awesome, and the missus loves superhero movies haha