The Rookies Thread 2020

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 29, 2019, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

A ton of rookies available this week. It will be interesting to see who holds a spot over the next fortnight.

Samsturmfels

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on June 26, 2020, 08:01:16 PM
Wait a week on both

Neither are really SC guns due to their roles

See how they go
yeah i need to make a another trade for cash

Rusty00

Which rookies do we like best this week?

Williamson - does he keep his spot when Marchbank comes back? Mat?
Sturt - supposedly ready to go this week from a 4 week injury, but already traded him in and out once already
Young - already over $200, but role in the team seems locked
Hayden - solid score last round, but 2 terrible ones before that
Bennell - will he back? not sure you can trust him to string games together
Vandermeer - seems to playing a role for the Dogs. Still don't really know much about him though, so feel uneasy picking him
Pickett (Melb) - straight back in after his suspension so the clubs wants him to play, Not a friendly SC role though
Mahony - liked him in the pre-season, but cheap so might give him another game to look at.
Butler - not sure I trust any of the Dogs rookies to get continued games
Serong - had 10 CBA and you'd think should be good for more with Fyfe out
Hill - his injury history has me reluctant to pick him, especially at his price. Handy DPP.

There's others that I've missed or already have.

Wanderer

Quote from: Rusty00 on June 30, 2020, 11:30:21 AM

Sturt - supposedly ready to go this week from a 4 week injury, but already traded him in and out once already
Vandermeer - seems to playing a role for the Dogs. Still don't really know much about him though, so feel uneasy picking him
Pickett (Melb) - straight back in after his suspension so the clubs wants him to play, Not a friendly SC role though
Mahony - liked him in the pre-season, but cheap so might give him another game to look at.
Hill - his injury history has me reluctant to pick him, especially at his price. Handy DPP.

Thanks Rusty. Consolidating a list like this really helps.

Team selections will be a big determinant as ever.
I like the look of Serong even though he is highly priced.
I went for Hamill over Williamson, but still considering Williamson now that I saw him play another game.
Hill's DPP is nice, but it comes with the injury history and higher price than others, but he will definitely play if not injured.
Bennell is nicely priced and will make coin, but will be a nervous and frustrating ride having him in your team.
The rest of the list doesn't excite me.

Ringo

For those that do not have xeri at R3 may be worth a loo with 54 last week. Will roos keep playing him with Goldy? DPP to forward as well.

dicko_

Was almost sold on getting cheap rookies but I just don’t see how guys like Butler and Mahony have any sort of JS. Leaning towards getting Hill due to his DPP and the fact that he will/should get games as long as he’s fit.

crowls

Quote from: dicko_ on June 30, 2020, 10:31:25 PM
Was almost sold on getting cheap rookies but I just don’t see how guys like Butler and Mahony have any sort of JS. Leaning towards getting Hill due to his DPP and the fact that he will/should get games as long as he’s fit.
hill for job security and scoring reliabilty.  most likely 70-75 avg with potential upside.  risk is injury and being managed.  not much else worthwhile downback

currently looking to trade sturt but might keep him and go viney bennell,  then upgrade a rook to danger the following week

RaisyDaisy

Butler (Main attraction is DPP being able to swing Rivers & Starc around, but he did look good too)
Williamson
Hill
Green

Pretty much the only 4 I am considering

Already have Bennell

As much as it pains me (because I'd much rather turn Howe into a keeper straight away) I am thinking that doing a double downgrade this week is probably the right play, because we might not get a lot of rookies from here

shaker

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on July 01, 2020, 11:50:15 AM
Butler (Main attraction is DPP being able to swing Rivers & Starc around, but he did look good too)
Williamson
Hill
Green

Already have Bennell

As much as it pains me (because I'd much rather turn Howe into a keeper straight away) I am thinking that doing a double downgrade this week is probably the right play, because we might not get a lot of rookies from here
You may be right about the amount of rookies from here on but when the new hubs are announced there is already talk from the Tiges that all players may not go and I'm guessing that will be similar for most clubs so there could be a few more yet?

crowls

Quote from: shaker on July 01, 2020, 12:40:45 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on July 01, 2020, 11:50:15 AM
Williamson
Hill
Green

Already have Bennell

You may be right about the amount of rookies from here on but when the new hubs are announced there is already talk from the Tiges that all players may not go and I'm guessing that will be similar for most clubs so there could be a few more yet?
Good point Shaker,  good chance of more rookies getting games or keeping their positions in the team

RaisyDaisy

Good point shaker

For me, I've got several rookies not playing, so not making cash, which is why I am looking at the double downgrade too

shaker

Yes I had 3 not playing last week BZT Pickett and Davis , have not given up on Pickett him Rioli and Naish stood out in a scratch match  with Stack and Caddy poor and Astbury injured he might be a chance to get a call up this week , Crows are rubbish so anyone a chance to get a run BZT mentioned in the mix so have to wait till teams for my second trade with Howe using the first.

Mat0369

Quote from: Rusty00 on June 30, 2020, 11:30:21 AM

Marchbank is probably a month away. Injury list has him at a fortnight plus he would need a couple of scratch matches.

There was talk of playing Marchbank on the wing due to his running ability and teams seem to be going with a taller wingman (Brander, Tomlinson etc.). I still don't see Marchbank forcing Williamson out. Williamson is the Newman replacement. Marchbank and Newman would have played in the same side, if anything it probably has us too tall down in our backline with Weitering, Jones and Plowman who are all playing excellent football right now.

Williamson is also an elite user of the football. Something we have really lacked in our side. I know it's not much, but there was one kick against Essendon when we had the option on the 45 at the edge of the center square. Williamson made the decision to take it and drilled the 30m pass. When anyone else has been taking that kick it's  normally a turnover and back the other way

enzedder

Big watch on Harry Jones today @123k
Fantasy Freako tweeted that his last four scores in the VFL were 121, 139, 112, 127.

JBs-Hawks

Yea he’s good but he plays for the hawks so continuity likely a problem