The Rookies Thread 2020

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 29, 2019, 10:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

A thread for all things rookie related

Hopefully over the coming weeks/month we start to hear more from club land to get an idea of which rookies might be a chance to line up Round 1

As of now, here's my rough/early predictions

DEF
At this early stage I think it's looking like it could be slim pickings down back, in terms of cheap/under 150k rookies

Starcevich has said that he is eyeing off a Round 1 debut, and I'd have to think that at least one of Gould/Ling/Stoddart is a chance for Sydney, but outside of that I can't see too much else at this stage

Jez McLennan was popular 12 months ago, but I've seen nothing to suggest his chances will increase, and I can't see how any of the Collingwood rookies are a chance at all. Rivers for Melb maybe?

MID
Rowell should be Walsh 2.0, and I would expect Rowell, Pickett. Hibberd to be starting for every team. Ned McHenry sounds like he's a huge chance to line up Round 1 so he's sitting on my bench atm too

Bytel, Ely/Dev, Maginness, Mahoney, Mead, Sharp, Williams seem like popular place holders for the time being

RUC
Darcy Cameron is the obvious R3 to pair with Grundy, but if you're wanting a floating donut R/F who plays a lot of late games for loopholing then Charlie Comben is your guy

FWD
Really struggling to see anyone here who would actually be a half decent scorer, which has got me thinking about starting a really deep forward line

Rankine and King are the best chances for Round 1 but both could be poor scorers

Cockatoo, McAdam, Kreuger, Hutcheson/Riccardi, Cahill, Treacy seem like decent place holders

I've just focused on sub 150k guys. The likes of Young, Flanders, Bonar seem like popular options too

enzedder

From Herald Sun article ....each club’s supposed best cash cow
NED MCHENRY $123,900 MID
Adelaide will look to give opportunity to their kids and expect McHenry to feature in their new-look line-up. The No.16 pick in the 2018 draft was restricted by injuries in his first year but booted four goals in a senior SANFL final. tackling machine can impact up forward and in the midfield and has all the tools to score well.
DEVEN ROBERTSON $117,3000 MID
The strong midfielder broke Sam Walsh’s Under-18 carnival disposal record last year and will feature prominently in our SuperCoach sides in the future. It’s just a matter of breaking into that Lions midfield, which is a tough ask.
TOM WILLIAMSON $146,3000 DEF
Injury has kept the running defender to just two AFL games since his impressive first season in 2017. Sam Docherty’s return doesn’t help the 21-year-old’s chances but he is one to watch out for.
DARCY CAMERON $123,900 RUCK/FWD
Cameron has been stuck in the Swans ruck queue for several years but will hope to challenge Mason Cox for the role of tall forward and ruck back-up to Brodie Grundy at the Magpies. The 205cm 24-year-old stands out as the leading cheap ruck option.
MITCH HIBBERD $114,400 MID
Former Kangaroo was locked in many teams before suffering an injury setback at training last week. Hibberd will undergo surgery and is set to be sidelined for up to six weeks, making him touch and go for Round 1. Nonetheless, the 23-year-old remains a solid rookie options after averaging 128 points in the VFL last season as an inside midfielder â€" the kind of player the Bombers desperately need.
STEPHEN HILL $190,600 DEF/FWD
A player who has twice averaged over 95 points in a season for $190k with rare defender/forward dual position status is SuperCoach gold. Hill has played just 16 games in the past two seasons due to injury but the 29-year-old is worth the risk. He sits just ahead of smooth moving draftee Hayden Young ($180,3000 DEF) in the Docker rookie ranks.
NAKIA COCKATOO $148,200 MID/FWD
It’s never been a question of talent for the Cats playmaker. Cockatoo is too good to resist at this price if he is fit and firing but, like Hill, injuries are always a concern.
IZAK RANKINE $123,9000 FWD
It would be easy to go with No.1 pick Matt Rowell, but Rankine comes much more cheaply after an injury interrupted first season at the Suns. The excitement machine could be anything and is set to make us a truckload of cash.
FINN MAGINNESS $117,3000 MID
A bid came later than expected for the Hawthorn father-son which puts him in the base cash cow bracket. The fitness freak averaged 94 points per game at the Under-18 carnival and is one to watch during the pre-season.
TOM GREEN $166,800 MID
This Giant looms as the next SuperCoach beast. The clearance machine had a higher contested possession rate than Patrick Cripps at Under-18 level, winning a whopping 66 per cent in a contest. Can he force his way into the Giants’ stacked midfield?
TRENT RIVERS $117,3000 DEF/MID
The Demons are crying out for efficient ball use and pace and Rivers brings these qualities in spades. The youngster has a mature frame and is another to keep tabs on during the Marsh Community Series. Kysaiah Pickett ($157,800 FWD) could also break into Melbourne’s side early.
LACHIE HOSIE $123,9000 FWD
Hosie joined the Roos through last season’s mid-season draft after booting 21 goals in eight games at SANFL level. The 22-year-old forward can perform in the air and at ground level and could get senior opportunity in 2020.
JACKSON MEAD $117,3000 MID
The father-son draftee is closing in on a Round 1 berth and should debut sooner rather than later. Mead averaged 106 SuperCoach points at the Under-18 national championships and is one to slot on your midfield bench for now.
MARLION PICKETT $123,9000 MID
Pickett was in more than 80 per cent of pre-season sides thanks to his magnificent 96-point Grand Final debut. Thankfully, that performance isn’t factored into the 28-year-old’s 2020 starting price, making him a must-have.
JACK BYTEL $123,9000 FWD
The young Saint was kept on the sidelines his first season because of back surgery but is every chance to crack into their best 22 early in 2020. The tough midfielder thrives in the contest and is a strong tackler, two features that bode well for SuperCoach.
WILL GOULD $117,3000 DEF
The Shannon Hurn comparisons are one thing, an average of 89 points at senior SANFL level in his Under-18 year is another. The big-bodied defender should get opportunities from the outset in a transitioning Swans side.
BEN CAVARRA $123,9000 FWD
We had Cavarra locked into our forward lines last pre-season, but the mature-age recruit â€" who starred for years in the VFL â€" failed to play a game in his debut season. If he can break into the Bulldogs side before the season kicks off, he is close to a must-have.
JARROD BRANDER $133,000 FWD
Not much to speak of on the rookie front for the Eagles after giving away a raft of draft picks in the Tim Kelly deal during the trade period. Brander played two games last season but the 2017 first round draftee should feature more prominently in his third season.

enzedder

Wish Bytel was a fwd ^ unfortunately not

RaisyDaisy

I've come across a few articles recently that lead me to think we might have a few more forward options to choose from

The following guys seem to at least be in the mix for a possible Round 1 chance

- Kreuger (GEE)
- Sturt (FRE)
- King (STK)
- Rankine (GC)
- Hosie (NTH)
- Frampton (ADE)
- Flanders (GC)
- Cockatoo (GEE)
- Pickett (MEL)

Frampton is the one that I am interested in - you'd think either him or Himmelberg are going to play as that 2nd key tall forward who is also able to support ROB - hopefully Billy gets first crack

DEF on the other hand is still looking pretty grim at the moment - besides Young, Starcevich, Gould and Rivers I haven't really heard about anyone else being a possible chance at this stage, but we still have a fair bit of time

Early mail suggests we go a little deeper down back, and can possibly go with 4 fwd rookies (2 on field and 2 on bench)

enzedder

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on January 27, 2020, 11:22:59 PM
I've come across a few articles recently that lead me to think we might have a few more forward options to choose from

The following guys seem to at least be in the mix for a possible Round 1 chance

- Kreuger (GEE)
- Sturt (FRE)
- King (STK)
- Rankine (GC)
- Hosie (NTH)
- Frampton (ADE)
- Flanders (GC)
- Cockatoo (GEE)
- Pickett (MEL)

Frampton is the one that I am interested in - you'd think either him or Himmelberg are going to play as that 2nd key tall forward who is also able to support ROB - hopefully Billy gets first crack

DEF on the other hand is still looking pretty grim at the moment - besides Young, Starcevich, Gould and Rivers I haven't really heard about anyone else being a possible chance at this stage, but we still have a fair bit of time

Early mail suggests we go a little deeper down back, and can possibly go with 4 fwd rookies (2 on field and 2 on bench)
Defence at least has Doedee, Roberton and Hill available as cheaper experienced options (should they all get named R1) if the rookies don’t come through.

duffercoat

It's incredibly likely that one of the Port forward rookies (Georgiades/Bergman) plays rd 1 too. Both have the running capacity already and have been talked up by Hinkley.

Only problem that I can foresee is if Mead gets the spot opened by Gray and doesn't leave room for the other two.

eaglesman

I have dine my best 22s for most teams.
Coming to the realisation about the following popular picks for round 1.
Simple yes or no to play round 1.

Rowell yes
Pickett yes
Young yes
Ranking yes
King yes
And nOw it all goes bleak.
McHenry no (but leaning to maybe)
Gould/Stephens (think they battling for the last spot)
Robertson/smith no chance
Bytel no chance
Mead no
Sharp/Flanders nope.

Conclusion
There will be a lot more doedee/bonar/kpickett teams showing up

Bones Bombers

Nobody is mentioning Anderson. Is there a reason I have missed or is it the high print?
What chance is he of lining up round 1?

eaglesman

Quote from: Bones Bombers on February 01, 2020, 10:05:52 AM
Nobody is mentioning Anderson. Is there a reason I have missed or is it the high print?

Do you think Noah Anderson can displace any of the following in best 22.
Ainsworth - no
Sexton - no
Bowes - no
Macpherson - probably no
Lemmens yes(but not best 22)
Ballard yes (not best 22)
Powell probably no
Miles- no
Also
Sharp
Flanders

I got 16 on field locks that there is no debate on and then 6 spots out of the names above for their best 22 (some of which are probably locks as well)

With everyone on the park the suns aren’t as easy a side to crack into as what I first assumed.

Ringo

I think Cockatoo is probably a yes to add to the list

Also Rivers/Pickett vying for a position in Dees best 22.

So we wait and see who lines up for rd 1.  At the moment I have the following rookies as place holders on field Rivers, Rowell, Pickett (Richmond), Mchenry,  S Hill, Cockatoo and Rankine. Possible that are on benches are Gould, Bytel and M King.

coglan13

Quote from: eaglesman on February 01, 2020, 03:32:02 AM
I have dine my best 22s for most teams.
Coming to the realisation about the following popular picks for round 1.
Simple yes or no to play round 1.

Rowell yes
Pickett yes
Young yes
Ranking yes
King yes
And nOw it all goes bleak.
McHenry no (but leaning to maybe)
Gould/Stephens (think they battling for the last spot)
Robertson/smith no chance
Bytel no chance
Mead no
Sharp/Flanders nope.

Conclusion
There will be a lot more doedee/bonar/kpickett teams showing up
McHenry should play. Port will probably give one rook a debut so Mead a chance.

frenzy

Quote from: eaglesman on February 01, 2020, 10:49:27 AM

Ainsworth - no
Sexton - no
Bowes - no
Macpherson - probably no
Powell probably no
Miles- no
Also
Sharp
Flanders

I got 16 on field locks that there is no debate on and then 6 spots out of the names above for their best 22 (some of which are probably locks as well)

With everyone on the park the suns aren’t as easy a side to crack into as what I first assumed.

Gold Coast's list is too long, just not enough spots each week. Some can't even get a NEAFL game.

SilverLion

Quote from: frenzy on February 01, 2020, 02:10:01 PM

Ainsworth - no
Sexton - no
Bowes - no
Macpherson - probably no
Powell probably no
Miles- no
Also
Sharp
Flanders

Gold Coast's list is too long, just not enough spots each week. Some can't even get a NEAFL game.
Agreed, seems likely they'll be rotating the kids throughout the year.

crowls

Quote from: SilverLion on February 01, 2020, 02:14:22 PM

Ainsworth - no
Sexton - no
Bowes - no
Macpherson - probably no
Powell probably no
Miles- no
Also
Sharp
Flanders

Do not like the sound of that at all.   screws them all up for fantasy coaches

frenzy

Quote from: crowls on February 01, 2020, 07:20:02 PM
Quote from: SilverLion on February 01, 2020, 02:14:22 PM

Ainsworth - no
Sexton - no
Bowes - no
Macpherson - probably no
Powell probably no
Miles- no
Also
Sharp
Flanders

Do not like the sound of that at all.   screws them all up for fantasy coaches

https://www.afl.com.au/news/364942/the-afl-hasn-t-seen-a-list-this-big-why-size-matters-for-the-suns