Australian Survivor S4: Champions v Contenders 2

Started by Nige, June 23, 2019, 02:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

I'm thinking that this deserves it's own thread like we've done for the past few Survivor seasons.

This will almost certainly start airing once Masterchef is done in a few weeks which means it might finish around the time the next American season starts which works nicely.

There's been a number of number of names officially released as contestants this season, while several others have been rumoured and are 'unofficially' confirmed.

North Melbournes Finest

Really disappointed that they're again using celebrities with little game sense to try and build hype for the show. It's better when it's full of everyday people.

jvalles69

Quote from: North Melbournes Finest on June 23, 2019, 02:51:33 PM
Really disappointed that they're again using celebrities with little game sense to try and build hype for the show. It's better when it's full of everyday people.

It is annoying when there are so many real fans out there.  Seems to be famous ppl vs ppl who want to famous.

Nige

So the full cast was announced the other day and this starts tomorrow.

The social media team reckons it's the best season yet, which is a pretty bold call to make considering they're well aware of the reception the previous seasons have gotten. For those who don't really follow the Australian Survivor socials, they're actually pretty good with their fan and community engagement, and they definitely understand and watch how everything they put out is received and respond accordingly.

Here's a list of all the cast with individual pics and like two lines on each: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a190719xqvft/australian-survivor-2019-heres-your-full-list-of-champions-and-contenders-20190721

RaisyDaisy

Looking forward to this

Not quite sure how they plan on spinning Luke as a Champion

Nige

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on July 23, 2019, 12:44:38 PM
Looking forward to this

Not quite sure how they plan on spinning Luke as a Champion
Most people love him and so they won't need to do much, he's the people's champion!

jvalles69

Early thoughts?  Looks a whole lot more polished, by why oh why so many episodes in a week FFS?

Think the poker player looks like he'll go far, plenty characters with little to 0 screen time.  I'm not sure if Susie Maroney or the stacked blonde on the contenders tribe actually speak?  Nova seems like a weirdo.  Platinum blonde dude sounds/looks like a douche of the maximum order.

Nige

It's always been multiple episodes a week, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. Australian Survivor has 24 contestants. There's no way they'd be doing an episode a week. It started yesterday and is on again tonight, then will run Sunday, Monday, Tuesday as its regular timeslots once Bachelor starts on Wednesday, nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, definitely seems like it has potential to be an interesting season. Overall, the champions are weaker and the contenders are stronger I think. Low visibility of the contenders last night was because they didn't go to tribal. Andy is definitely being set up as the villain for however long he lasts (I think he'll go pre-merge) but he's entertaining and yesterday he won them the IC, which is why he got so much airtime.

Susie was an odd one to complain about not speaking, she didn't have a lot of content overall, but she said more than Simon who was probably the quietest champion over the course of the episode.

I expect we'll get more focus and content from the contenders tonight and hopefully get to hear from more than Andy, Daisy, John and Baden.

RaisyDaisy

Complaining about multiple episodes a week?  ???

3 eps a week is nice

I like the look of John the mullet - he's a fighter and real team player

The stacked blonde (Sam?) is certainly easy on the eyes  ;)

Baden looks like he could struggle a bit

jvalles69

3 is fine, I just assumed it was 5, but I guess that's just crossover weeks.

Nige

If anyone wants to see more of Sam, she was on The Amazing Race Australia S1.

And speaking of, apparently 10's reviving TAR and it'll air later this year (so probably after Survivor finishes) with Beau Ryan as host.

jvalles69

Quote from: Nige on July 25, 2019, 10:52:30 PM
If anyone wants to see more of Sam, she was on The Amazing Race Australia S1.

And speaking of, apparently 10's reviving TAR and it'll air later this year (so probably after Survivor finishes) with Beau Ryan as host.

And if you want to see more...checkout her Instagram.  :P

jvalles69

Pretty hardcore challenge last night!  That suction from the mud would be nuts on top of the weight already.

The reward challenge was a bit strange sitting someone out, but not everyone participating anyway, and ET going twice...or did they edit runs out?

Refraining from looking at betting odds at this stage...

Nige

JLP tweeted that it took 30 mins for the teams to drag the boxes through the mud, it looked brutal. Challenges like that are part of the reason I don't think I could ever do the show hahaha.

Generally, with challenges like the reward challenge, there are turns they edit out, but teams would have been able to pick the combinations they wanted. They just pick and choose the ones for television, hence why we saw Baden and Hannah have a go but eventually get beaten with ease. We never saw Simon participate even though he seemed like an obvious choice but I'm sure he would have had at least one go.

Also haven't looked at the odds but wouldn't be surprised if Pia is the favourite with the bookies. That confessional of hers in ep 1 about either being first boot or the winner was very convenient, and editors love soundbites that foreshadow like that. I think she's got all the skills to make it far/to the end. But the Australian Survivors are also pretty clever, she might just be being set up for a deep run without winning, despite that confessional.

kilbluff1985