Main Menu

Introduce yourself

Started by MissPies, March 25, 2010, 02:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvalles69

Quote from: Grazz on July 01, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on July 01, 2015, 03:52:43 PM
Don't think I've ever done this and as I've been a fair bit more active over the past few years I may as well put myself out there.

I'm Jason, 33 years old, born and bred in WA.  Basketball has always been my sport since I was about 6 years old (go Wildcats), but have supported West Coast for as long as I can remember and the moment I actually fell in love with AFL was the first time I saw Michael Voss play, he was the Jordan of AFL for me.  Picked my first footy up when I was 24 and still play for my local club.

Addicted to all things fantasy sport, mainly AFL and NBA, to the point where it runs my everyday life, I eat, breathe and sleep fantasy, all to get that top overall ranking!

I'm a Cancer Nurse by trade, giving chemo and performing stem cell transplants.  Love my job and wouldn't trade it in for any other job (well maybe to play NBA or be a rockstar).

Hobbies are playing bass guitar although I don't really have much time to do that these days, have played in a punk band in the past for 7 years. Favourite bands include Brand New, No Use For a Name, The Getaway Plan and Amity Affliction.  I also enjoy a good punt on lots of sports, don't think I'm addicted, but will find out one day when I try to stop punting.  :-\

Nice to learn a bit about you mate. A belated welcome to you. Didn't need to go past Cancer Nurse to know i liked you. Hell of a career but thankyou for all you do there, your kind is a special kind not sure how you do it but were glad that you do.

Thanks mate.  I was lucky to have my midlife crisis when I was mid 20's, have never looked back at job choice.  My mates were all jealous cos of all the hot girls I used to hang out with, haha.  ;)

Grazz

More than welcome mate.
Haha i have a few cousins who are nurses and have spent many a good time with them and their attractive friends lol.
Very clever and professional people who see alot we wouldn't want to so when it came to partying or letting their hair down
they did it with gusto and who can blame them, great times. Was funny to watch the looks on other blokes faces when Peter (cousin) and i would walk into a pub or club with a harem of gorgeous women. The looks of wtf are those ladies doing with those peanuts was priceless.

jvalles69

Quote from: Grazz on July 01, 2015, 04:18:28 PM
More than welcome mate.
Haha i have a few cousins who are nurses and have spent many a good time with them and their attractive friends lol.
Very clever and professional people who see alot we wouldn't want to so when it came to partying or letting their hair down
they did it with gusto and who can blame them, great times. Was funny to watch the looks on other blokes faces when Peter (cousin) and i would walk into a pub or club with a harem of gorgeous women. The looks of wtf are those ladies doing with those peanuts was priceless.

Haha!  Good stuff!  Nurses do party harder than any other profession I've met, some of the conversations are off the chart, I've had mates walk away from group convo's due to them being so gross! Apparently when I was at uni if someone didn't know my name I was dubbed, "the guy with the 4 hot blondes"! Another guy I met while nursing had a similar thing going on, but he was know as, "the guy with the mums", lol!  ;D

Grazz

Lol I understand all of that perfectly. How the memories come flooding back, great times with great people. I would fly down from Moomba and get on another plane and head to straight to Perth just to party with them, thats how much fun it was.

Kellogscrunchynut

Think I might need to change my career now.

Also another belated welcome to you Jvalles.

jvalles69

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on July 01, 2015, 05:05:42 PM
Think I might need to change my career now.

Also another belated welcome to you Jvalles.

Cheers mate!

Big Mac

Cool to hear about you Jvalles

What was it like learning to play footy at 24? Did you do it with some mates?

There's probably a picture of me with a footy at the hospital, can't imagine picking one up for the first time 24 years later

jvalles69

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 01, 2015, 05:18:02 PM
Cool to hear about you Jvalles

What was it like learning to play footy at 24? Did you do it with some mates?

There's probably a picture of me with a footy at the hospital, can't imagine picking one up for the first time 24 years later

Thanks bud.

I joined a club that had a few mates already playing there.

It was very frustrating to be honest, I pick up most sports pretty quick and become competitive fairly quickly, skills wise I had no problems kicking, marking etc. My problems were I've always been a sprinter and never been a long distance runner so my tank is not very big at all, and other issue I still have is the footy brain side of things, hard to learn something that needs to be natural. I'm way better at it now, but also 10 years older and my body just ain't the same.  An example would be drawing a defender with the ball then hand passing it off to a team mate, but not instinctively shepperding for that team mate. Being a PG in bball has helped in other ways though, being able to see the entire field and know where the ball should go.  These days I try to get down into the forward pocket to kick a few snaggers, but this year they've decided to play me at HF flank.

Bill Manspeaker

bass and Brand New! awesone man. can you play Sic Transit?

and welcome also, even though you've been here a while :P

jvalles69

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on July 01, 2015, 05:27:49 PM

Thanks you friendly lot!

Haha, probably, but it's annoying to tune down your bass all the time, lol! I also have "My bright is too slight to hold back all my dark" tattoed on my back.  ;)  Grisnpoon and Pennywise songs were always fun to play on bass!

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 01, 2015, 05:42:19 PM

Thanks you friendly lot!

Haha, probably, but it's annoying to tune down your bass all the time, lol! I also have "My bright is too slight to hold back all my dark" tattoed on my back.  ;)  Grisnpoon and Pennywise songs were always fun to play on bass!

nice man! that's awesome  8)

T Dog

Don't lead anyone astray here JV. They are a quiet bunch.   ::)

Grazz

Quote from: T Dog on July 01, 2015, 07:25:01 PM
Don't lead anyone astray here JV. They are a quiet bunch.   ::)

nas

Belated welcome, as well

ronl

Hey guys.  Been hanging around this site for a few years now, never even knew this introductory thing was here until I accidentally ran across it this morning.  Retired from the grind, spent years as a copywriter (TV, ADV/) it wasn't that much fun but the grog was free and the babes were cute (don't tell my wife I said that) Know bugger all about computers, care even less. Born in NYC, came to Melbourne in '72 to marry this cute Aussie chick, yeah, we're still making it. Why would you want to live anywhere else but Australia? Right now we're eking out an existence in NE NSW not far from Byron. Spent most of my years in Melbourne and, it grieves me to say this, I became addicted to the Essendon football club.  Yep, one game was all it took, but we all make mistakes, right? Actually, they should behead the present coach at a public execution then bring Bomber Thompson back. That would be fun. Maybe then we'll start winning a few games again. Spend most of my days playing the drums, worrying about the Bombers, drinking, playing the drums, surfing, drinking, then I watch AFL360, drink some more and go to bed. Actually I've decided to put the surfing on hold for awhile, been a fair few shark sightings up this way recently. Scary ones!  My best finish in supercoach was top 100 three or four years ago.  But ya gotta love it, eh, it definitely is an addiction. ;)