Main Menu

Rory Sloane... Staying or Going?

Started by Trindacut, November 04, 2017, 01:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Whilst money appears to be the object there is also length of contract being offered. So players approaching or in 30s will always seek the longest contract out. Reason we lost Rocky. In most cases if length of contract being offered is same most will stay unless $ is substantially more.

Trindacut

Quote from: TomK on January 25, 2018, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: Trindacut on January 25, 2018, 08:49:38 PM
Quote from: TomK on January 25, 2018, 08:38:34 PM
Quote from: Grazz on January 25, 2018, 07:42:49 PM
Just rolling with "he's gone". No more disappointments that way, he's flowering leaving end of story.
Love the club but this arrogance around their pay structure and refusing to budge is getting old.
It's not about money though?

These blokes commit virtually every element of their lives to this game for as many years as they can. Then, in their 30's, they become unemployed. A very select handful of past players go on to actually earn more than they used to as players. The rest have to use the money they earned as wisely as possible.

So when you know you've got less than a decade of footy in you, you're going to make as much money as you can doing it. As Grazz said, it's an old and arrogant perspective that it "isn't about the money". You might suck some players in on that, but players like Sloane are going to tell them to stick it and go where the money's at, possibly even at a more successful club.
It's not like Sloane will be playing for peanuts mate, and nice little cheap shot with the 'more successful club' line. Why am I not surprised you pop up as soon as this topic comes up again? go away.

Quote from: Grazz on January 25, 2018, 09:16:43 PM
Quote from: TomK on January 25, 2018, 08:38:34 PM
Just rolling with "he's gone". No more disappointments that way, he's flowering leaving end of story.
Love the club but this arrogance around their pay structure and refusing to budge is getting old.
It's not about money though?

Sorry mate, it will be about money.
The money it will take to keep him against the money rumoured to be on offer in Victoria and family and friends (Huge).
Either the club abandons its stance on its current pay structure and writes a big check around 1 million + maybe
for atleast 5 years to have a hope or forget it. In this day and age of footy it's hard to be critical of anyone
taking the cash. It's my feelings that the club should cough up.
I'm not saying I disagree with you but the reason I say it is because clubs trying to lure players away, a lot of the time, offer a lot more money than their current club have in their current contract or the contract offered, they usually have to pay more to get them to move. So of course, the money he will get in Victoria will be more than he will get here, but if we were a team located in Victoria, Sloane would not leave, regardless of the difference in $$$. If he leaves, it will be mainly to go home, the extra money will be a bonus.

Adelaide will get an advantage in the negotiations, I imagine he'd take less to stay, but I don't think he'll take much less and Dustin Martin proved last year if you put the heat on you get the dollars, without necessarily leaving either.

shaker

Yes Grazz I can understand your frustration with what has been going on something has to change you can't just keep losing your best players but the season has not started so nothing is a given yet , the Tiges had to cough up about 400K more than there first offer to Dusty and I realize the Crows have Sloane being a Vic as an added problem but surely the penny will drop this time.

I have not heard of any dollar value to what he is being offered by other clubs ? so guess it's wait and see but the powers that be at the Crows must know it can't continue.

Grazz

Quote from: shaker on January 27, 2018, 10:48:14 AM
Yes Grazz I can understand your frustration with what has been going on something has to change you can't just keep losing your best players but the season has not started so nothing is a given yet , the Tiges had to cough up about 400K more than there first offer to Dusty and I realize the Crows have Sloane being a Vic as an added problem but surely the penny will drop this time.

I have not heard of any dollar value to what he is being offered by other clubs ? so guess it's wait and see but the powers that be at the Crows must know it can't continue.

Yeh mate it is frustrating.

shaker

Quote from: Grazz on January 27, 2018, 03:49:43 PM

Don't stress mate if the fans and everybody else is saying and thinking the same thing I'm sure the people in charge will be as well I'd be very surprised if they let him slip , Norf are to blame for this with there over the top 1.5 mil offer for dusty just gotta hope they don't try the same shower again don't think any other clubs will be throwing anything like that at him  ;)

tbagrocks

Anyone who's seen what has happened in Europe or the NBA last month knows, players simply DO NOT just run home to mummy! Only losers (Even if they live on the greatest continent and best living spots on earth) run home to their mummy (Paddy)

Only here in Oz do perfect people with perfect lives want everything else to be perfect around them (Paddy D) Every other "Professional" Sports person realizes what they must give for them to succeed. Only here in Oz o flogs like Paddy actually leave every year to run home!

Ask Roger Federer, Ronaldo, Messi, Kevin Durant, Jason Da, Alexis Sanchez, Steve Smith .... I can go on allllllll day/night .....  how many spend time in their home town or where their mummy lives?

just say'n

Gigantor

Grazz

R.Griffen

Quote from: shaker on January 27, 2018, 05:31:54 PM
Quote from: Grazz on January 27, 2018, 03:49:43 PM

Don't stress mate if the fans and everybody else is saying and thinking the same thing I'm sure the people in charge will be as well I'd be very surprised if they let him slip , Norf are to blame for this with there over the top 1.5 mil offer for dusty just gotta hope they don't try the same shower again don't think any other clubs will be throwing anything like that at him  ;)
It doesn’t really matter what North do. He still needs to want to play there. He wouldn’t get offered 1.5mil probs only 1.2 as the age difference between him and Kelly. 

shaker

Quote from: Grazz on February 02, 2018, 12:19:56 AM
Quote from: Gigantor on February 02, 2018, 12:16:17 AM
Where does Gibbs' mummy live?

Ooooooh checkmate.  ;)
Ha ha ha checkmate  ;D plus I might be wrong but don't think the Crows are paying quite as much as the guys T-bag mentioned  :P

Trindacut

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 01, 2018, 11:20:45 PM
Anyone who's seen what has happened in Europe or the NBA last month knows, players simply DO NOT just run home to mummy! Only losers (Even if they live on the greatest continent and best living spots on earth) run home to their mummy (Paddy)

Only here in Oz do perfect people with perfect lives want everything else to be perfect around them (Paddy D) Every other "Professional" Sports person realizes what they must give for them to succeed. Only here in Oz o flogs like Paddy actually leave every year to run home!

Ask Roger Federer, Ronaldo, Messi, Kevin Durant, Jason Da, Alexis Sanchez, Steve Smith .... I can go on allllllll day/night .....  how many spend time in their home town or where their mummy lives?

just say'n

Tomato Tomato.

You named a bunch of blokes earning tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. With enough money you can go anywhere to work, even Norf.

When you play a sport that's played (almost) entirely in one country then it's also different. These blokes played local sports with friends and family before they became AFL legends, so there is always a lure of 'home'. And sometimes there's shower we don't know about, sick family/friends that make it all the more important that if given a choice of doing the same thing at home or away and you get paid just as much or more to do it home then they're going to go home.

And it could be there isn't a very enjoyable culture at the club. It would explain why so many players have left despite their success in recent years.

As Grazz said, this pay structure doesn't give them a lot of wiggle room either. When you start talking about a difference of millions at the end of your career, money counts. Don't be stingy

tbagrocks

You either mover because you miss your family (Unless you are young) "SOFT" Or you leave for more money "Flog" It appears everyone is stuffed in my world! Not the case!

Jerome Randle anyone? Plays for a pittance any good footballer is on, less than that minimum for an AFL player, did he move clubs three times last year? yes he did! Chasing more money, not once Have I ever heard Randle (Former Adelaide 36r superstar) Whine about his family issues. He only ever left because the $ did not add up. So then he played in France and Turkey before returning to the NBL with Sydney Kings

Not everything's about money and not everything's about family. But to leave a "Professional" Sport because of family, simply makes you soft

As I said already which people don't care anyway. Only here in Aus do people leave professional sporting organizations for their family! Check out every other sport on earth ::)

flower we are soft here in Australia. GROW A PAIR

R.Griffen

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 11, 2018, 09:41:20 PM

Not everything's about money and not everything's about family. But to leave a "Professional" Sport because of family, simply makes you soft

flower we are soft here in Australia. GROW A PAIR
You can’t be serious. So Cian Hanley in your words is soft.

Jog on

shaker

Bad news Crow fans Norf has said they will going as hard after players as last year..... time to get the cheque book out.

TomK

Quote from: shaker on February 22, 2018, 09:50:57 AM
Bad news Crow fans Norf has said they will going as hard after players as last year..... time to get the cheque book out.
lol