AFLX

Started by Purple 77, June 22, 2017, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-21/afl-x-is-this-footys-version-of-big-bash

QuoteWhat is AFLX?
Played on a soccer-sized oval
Played between two sides of seven, three on each interchange bench
Ten-minute quarters No centre bounces (kick-ins from full-back after each goal)
One umpire

*dry retches*

Purple 77

Stinks of AFL meeting the supporters half-way of State of Origin if you ask me. If we are suddenly OK with risking player injury, then that can't be used as excuse for not having State of Origin IMO.

Toga

RaisyDaisy

Wasn't this floated a year or so ago?

Pretty sure I read about this ages ago. Was shower then and is still shower now

Nige

I think a lot of people are just using this as another excuse to have a whinge.

Sure it's gonna have some pretty obvious flaws and it's not gonna be like the AFL we know and love but as far as I'm concerned, footy is footy.

Plus I believe they intend to hold it in that week off between Round 23 and finals? Heard many people say that break is shower with no footy, so here's the solution. A watered down, glorified state of origin.

shaker

Might be ok to watch but will only be played by VFL type players I think can't see clubs risking there guns for a bit of hit and giggle footy

Ringo

Will have to wait and see in action. Think there are a lot of risks involved but could be sorted out with a few extra restrictions.

Smaller Oval with only 14 players on the field. Think for safety need to restrict the number in areas of the ground.  As shaker has said will clubs risk players for this or will it be mostly 2nd Tier comp players.

It is still footy on a bye weekend.

Ziplock

Quote from: Nige on June 22, 2017, 11:37:54 AM

Sure it's gonna have some pretty obvious flaws and it's not gonna be like the AFL we know and love but as far as I'm concerned, footy is footy.

Plus I believe they intend to hold it in that week off between Round 23 and finals? Heard many people say that break is shower with no footy, so here's the solution. A watered down, glorified state of origin.

I think there's a lot of unnecessary hate going on here. Yeah, it's not AFL, but it's a supplementary competition not a replacement and tbh, it'd probably be pretty fun/ enjoyable to watch.

orton090

I have read this before.

WhatMate

The AFL already have AFL9s set up which is being taught in universities and in schools, not sure why they want to bring out another modification

Holz

Quote from: WhatMate on September 12, 2017, 12:13:53 PM
The AFL already have AFL9s set up which is being taught in universities and in schools, not sure why they want to bring out another modification

this is a good point. While i hate the idea as i dont think it will be fun to watch and its a chance of injuring the players for no gain. It would make much more sense if they just played AFL 9s.

Purple 77

Like, call me being irrationally angry about something that doesn't matter.

But the more that's revealed about this sport, and even how it was being advertised today... it just looks a superficial, money-grabbing venture by an organisation who seemingly always fall on the wrong side of business v fan interests.

And looking at various social platforms, I've never seen a new concept like this be so poorly received.

I for one flat out refuse to watch it, but at the same time I'm curious to see what the reported crowd attendances are.

meow meow

flower the AFL, I'm going to do a Vince and create the XFL.

And yes, there will be horses.

Purple 77

Quote from: Ziplock on July 01, 2017, 02:11:04 PM
Quote from: Nige on June 22, 2017, 11:37:54 AM

I think there's a lot of unnecessary hate going on here. Yeah, it's not AFL, but it's a supplementary competition not a replacement and tbh, it'd probably be pretty fun/ enjoyable to watch.

*delayed response*

Again,  could just be irrationally angry, but I don't find BBL or Fast4 tennis fun to watch. These formats invite amateurs and players that can get away with a shorter format of the game, and dilute the image of the game IMO. The same is expected of aflx.

But that's just me, and I know BBL in particular is popular, but I honestly wouldn't watch it as an intermission for real afl.

The popularity will reveal itself I guess.

Levi434

Quote from: Purple 77 on February 06, 2018, 07:38:57 PM

Again,  could just be irrationally angry, but I don't find BBL or Fast4 tennis fun to watch. These formats invite amateurs and players that can get away with a shorter format of the game, and dilute the image of the game IMO. The same is expected of aflx.

This^