Grazz

Quote from: Ricochet on August 24, 2016, 01:15:48 PM
Firrito definitely the right call
Petrie yeh probably as well
Dal Santo 50/50
Harvey stiff

Feel the same mate.
Congrats to all on great careers.
Special mention to Boomer, feel he's a little stiff but progress waits for no man. Wether it's the right call or not only time will tell.
I'll always be grateful to him for the video message he sent that was sincere to a mate who was dying from cancer recently. It meant a hell of alot to John and I know he got a big thrill upon receiving it.
Games record holder (can't see anyone going past it), Premiership player and a great ambassador for our wonderful game.
All the best to all of them with whatever they decide to do in the future.

iZander

Quote from: meow meow on August 24, 2016, 01:59:18 PM
Making salary cap space or did they spend it all Wood after his 5 good games?

5 good games is better than no good games!

Yes you know who im talking about ;)

Boyd

elephants

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 24, 2016, 02:50:59 PM
Happy to have Boomer, Dal and Petrie at the hawks for a year!

Yeah I'd take Boomer at the Eegs for a year or two

_wato

Quote from: iZander on August 24, 2016, 03:51:31 PM
Quote from: meow meow on August 24, 2016, 01:59:18 PM
Making salary cap space or did they spend it all Wood after his 5 good games?

5 good games is better than no good games!

Yes you know who im talking about ;)

Boyd

Hahaha we all know who this is about ;)

Mat0369

Quote from: Koop on August 24, 2016, 01:27:03 PM
Keep Waite but cull Boomer. What kinda logic is that?  :o

They are keeping Waite over Petrie based on form this year. That's also if Waite actually decides to go around again.

Quote from: roo boys! on August 24, 2016, 02:39:57 PM
I'm curious as to who Scott reckons Boomer is holding out of the side, if he claims this decision has been made to give young guys opportunity

No youngsters have really been knocking down the door, I can see my boy Ryan Clarke filling Dal's shoes, but as for Boomer's role if noone is knocking down the door then why gift them games simply because they're young?

Jed Anderson would be the guy. They brought him in this year to fill Boomers role in the future. The funny thing with the decision on Boomer is 2 weeks ago after a poor game a lot of people were saying he shouldn't go around again even though he has had his best or second best year hitting the scoreboard. 2 weeks later North actually make the call and the same people will be jumping up and down saying how could they not give Boomer one more year.

I think it might end up being the right call on Boomer for a few reasons. The first is for North to move forward as a club they can't keep relying so heavily on their over 30's like Boomer, Petrie, Waite, Dal etc. They need the next bracket of guys to step up and they may have blown their wad topping up for a premiership run. Once they hit that age it becomes harder to back up week to week before they hit a wall and the performances go off a cliff. You would rather make the call heading into the next season while they are still playing decent footy then hold them for that extra 12 months and have them be a liability. While Boomer's form hasn't been terrible over the course of the season, he is having more bad games with each passing year as you would expect. The last thing they want to do is start playing him in the VFL if his form doesn't warrant selection. We also don't tend to see how guys recover from week to week, if it is taking more and more for him to get up each week the club will be able to see the decline on his body before the general public and supporters do.

I'm actually more surprised they didn't keep Nicky Dal around for one more year just because I think he is one they could get away with playing at the lower level if his form doesn't warrant senior selection.

Argus

Feels wrong seeing Harvey dismissed in a wholesale cull like this. I'd expect someone of his eminence/achievement to at least get his own tweet, as opposed to sharing it with 3 others.

iZander

Ill go against everyone here and say good call!
Guys like Dumont, Anderson, Turner, Clarke, Hibberd, Mckenzie even Daw up forward need more game time (most of those who played this year only played because of injuries to others) and with Brown, Wood, Waite and Daw dont think petrie will be missed. Also guys like Aaron black who could be playing at some clubs.

Already lost Bastinac last year because of opportunity and rumours that Aaron black wanted to leave because of it. No doubt if they were to keep playing these older guys there would be someone else who would leave for opportunity.

elephants

Quote from: iZander on August 24, 2016, 05:19:22 PM
Ill go against everyone here and say good call!
Guys like Dumont, Anderson, Turner, Clarke, Hibberd, Mckenzie even Daw up forward need more game time (most of those who played this year only played because of injuries to others) and with Brown, Wood, Waite and Daw dont think petrie will be missed. Also guys like Aaron black who could be playing at some clubs.

Already lost Bastinac last year because of opportunity and rumours that Aaron black wanted to leave because of it. No doubt if they were to keep playing these older guys there would be someone else who would leave for opportunity.

I agree with the first three, but cutting Boomer based on this is so silly imo. He's still in their best 5 players!

shaker

Good call the right decision for club you just can't keep playing guys that old , Boomer was playing the best of all 4 but think it's time for him to hang up the boots and be satisfied with what he has achieved.

jvalles69

Brutal by the club, will be good to hear Jim's view on Thurs night.  So I guess this means they won't be going after Barlow or Mayne?  If they do it will be even more savage.

Grazz

As Pav said today in his presser "it's a brutal business" and he's right, there's little room for sentiment left in the game.
Sometimes clubs get a perfect opportunity to see off their club favorites sometimes it doesn't pan out the way they would like.
Let's face it when was the right time going to be to say goodbye to Boomer, whenever or however it happened it probably was never going to be what someone of his status in the club deserved. I'm certain the club will honor all 4 off the ground with functions and dinners etc as well as any club could. I think the club has made the right call, arguably gone a year early on a couple namely NDS and Boomer but over the long run I feel they'll of be seen to of made the right call as harsh as it may seem to be right now.

RaisyDaisy

Dal Santo 50/50
Harvey stiff

Haha, I thought the EXACT same!

I don't buy into the whole taking away opportunities from younger kids argument when it comes to Boomer

Just because the guy won't be around for 10 years doesn't mean you should cull him. Nothing wrong with having 20-21 young players plus him playing

If Wells is able to play on, then why isn't Boomer? Neither are long term

ossie85

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 25, 2016, 07:52:30 AM
Dal Santo 50/50
Harvey stiff

I don't buy into the whole taking away opportunities from younger kids argument when it comes to Boomer

Just because the guy won't be around for 10 years doesn't mean you should cull him. Nothing wrong with having 20-21 young players plus him playing

Now RD, you have to make sure you have room for Farren Ray.

Nige

Quote from: ossie85 on August 25, 2016, 08:53:42 AM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 25, 2016, 07:52:30 AM
Dal Santo 50/50
Harvey stiff

Now RD, you have to make sure you have room for Farren Ray.
Waite and Nahas are thrilled to have survived!