Harvey, Dal Santo, Petrie, Firrito

Started by roo boys!, August 24, 2016, 01:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frenzy

Quote from: Ricochet on August 24, 2016, 01:15:48 PM
Firrito definitely the right call - Yep, was done two years ago, got 2 bonus years
Petrie yeh probably as well - yep, should of finished last year, but was contracted this year.
Dal Santo 50/50 - Nup, 100% cooked, has zero pace and unaccountable for his opponent, liability this year already.
Harvey stiff - Maybe, but Brad Scott said the exact same things about Boomer last year and was hesitant to give him this year.

Probably the right call atm, so long as Waite, Ray and Nahas follow out the door at seasons end.

We are the only team in the comp that hasn't got one single game into their 2014 recruits, not one and that's partially because we keep playing these blokes.

quinny88

It's not so much the decisions to cut them but rather the timing and way they did it.

They would have known these calls were going to be made 6 weeks ago and should have told the players and given them a chance to make the "retirement" announcement to the public and media so it could be seen as a celebration of their career rather than a sacking. Most veterans get this respect even though most have been told by the club that their time is up before they were necessarily ready to give it away.
Can garuntee Firrito and Petrie would have bowed out at the end of the year anyway and Boomer and Dal santo are still easily playing well enough to go around again but if they didn't want them to then they should have given them the chance to announce that on their own terms.

frenzy

I like the Theory we are making room in the salary cap for a big fish, maybe Jaeger, Lol. Seems strange the day after the Roos cull, he says he wants a trade. We live in hope.   :D

powersuperkents

Boomer will have no problem finding another club for a short-term coaching/player contract imo

Clarkson was interested in him last season when Nth were still yet to resign him, so I suspect a short-term modest contract with Hawthorn could be a possibility

Ziplock

I;m not surprised on boomer, but I dunno if it's the right call.

Yeah he's really old now, but frankly if he's still one of your best players, and you see yourself tilting for a premiership in the next season (which north probably do) then you should be keeping him.

Maybe Brad Scott had a couple too many concussions back in the day? :P

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ziplock on August 27, 2016, 12:32:35 PM

Yeah he's really old now, but frankly if he's still one of your best players, and you see yourself tilting for a premiership in the next season (which north probably do) then you should be keeping him.

+1

Agree completely, it just doesn't make sense - esp. considering that Boomer carried them through last year's finals campaign (so he's basically the one player they can rely on come finals time)

iZander

Quote from: powersuperkents on August 27, 2016, 12:35:43 PM

+1

Agree completely, it just doesn't make sense - esp. considering that Boomer carried them through last year's finals campaign (so he's basically the one player they can rely on come finals time)
I think Brad Scott knows they arent making finals the next few years :P Lucky to be in it this year. Great call imo

shaker

Can't believe there has been so much outrage over Boomer great player but he is pushing 40 the club has given the fans a chance to say goodbye to him and the other guys at home so well done to Norf for that , as for Boomer playing on at another club next year if my club even thought about getting him I would be furious

powersuperkents

Quote from: iZander on August 27, 2016, 12:41:48 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on August 27, 2016, 12:35:43 PM

+1

I think Brad Scott knows they arent making finals the next few years :P Lucky to be in it this year. Great call imo
I've got to agree with this observation as well. They are obviously aiming to rebuild. But what I don't understand is their interest in Chris Mayne if they are hoping to make a minor rebuild. It's best to go all in, or hold what you need and trade like Geelong did.

I think he's trying to emulate what his brother did with Geelong to free up salary cap space, but even Geelong keep Enright and Bartel  (although it could explain the retention of Waite and Wells). I just think, if they aren't going to do a full rebuild, Harvey would be one to keep in the short-term.

I don't see them making finals next year though - I don't see them making it past week one of this finals series either

Grazz

thetipsman Retweeted
Ricky Nixon ‏@rickynixontoot  2h2 hours ago
Jäger O'Meara fails fitness test at Norf who have knocked back Chris Mayne Freo due to age #ChickenGoesBANG !!!!! First with real footy news

Crossed Mayne off the list already if he was ever really on it. I doubted they would chase him as it would be odd after the delistings they made to then chase Mayne.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Grazz on September 03, 2016, 11:05:35 PM
thetipsman Retweeted
Jäger O'Meara fails fitness test at Norf who have knocked back Chris Mayne Freo due to age #ChickenGoesBANG !!!!! First with real footy news

Crossed Mayne off the list already if he was ever really on it. I doubted they would chase him as it would be odd after the delistings they made to then chase Mayne.
Really interesting news, especially in regards to Jaeger  :-\

Will Jaeger ever return to fitness, because at this point his future is looking grim  :(

Grazz

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 03, 2016, 11:37:57 PM
thetipsman Retweeted

Will Jaeger ever return to fitness, because at this point his future is looking grim  :(

I don't know mate I hope he can as it would be a cruel blow if the injury finished him before it all began really.
Certainly a buyer beware situation with him though, failing a test at North doesn't fill me with much confidence.
Other clubs will surely put him through the ringer testing him out like North have.
Looking at the Roo's situation he'd be a player they'd love to have on their list if fit so seeing they failed him it doesn't look good.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Grazz on September 03, 2016, 11:53:11 PM
thetipsman Retweeted

I don't know mate I hope he can as it would be a cruel blow if the injury finished him before it all began really.
Certainly a buyer beware situation with him though, failing a test at North doesn't fill me with much confidence.
Other clubs will surely put him through the ringer testing him out like North have.
Looking at the Roo's situation he'd be a player they'd love to have on their list if fit so seeing they failed him it doesn't look good.
There's absolutely no way the Suns are getting two first rounders - I don't think many clubs would risk a top 10 at this point.

I know that if all the Vic teams pass at the trade table, both SA teams aren't interested (I don't know anything about his home state though). But he has requested Vic as his preferred destination so we need not worry about that at this point.

Grazz

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 04, 2016, 12:03:35 AM
thetipsman Retweeted

There's absolutely no way the Suns are getting two first rounders - I don't think many clubs would risk a top 10 at this point.

I know that if all the Vic teams pass at the trade table, both SA teams aren't interested (I don't know anything about his home state though). But he has requested Vic as his preferred destination so we need not worry about that at this point.

Absolutely, the Suns asking for a great deal for him has to be out of the question, his value due to the injury and long lay off has diminished considerably and after North knocking him back it's possibly dropped further now. Surely they'll realise this.

iZander

Quote from: Grazz on September 04, 2016, 12:10:19 AM
Quote from: powersuperkents on September 04, 2016, 12:03:35 AM
thetipsman Retweeted

Absolutely, the Suns asking for a great deal for him has to be out of the question, his value due to the injury and long lay off has diminished considerably and after North knocking him back it's possibly dropped further now. Surely they'll realise this.
Yep, hoping they ask for too much, perfect for us!!!!!!!!!

PSD 1 he is!! :D