Main Menu

Blues 2016 H&A Discussion

Started by Vinny, April 01, 2015, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Shiel and Treloar were both Carlton fans growing up and Treloar was the Juddy obsessed one. If we can snatch Treloar that would be huge.

Also with Cripps there is still so much improvement left in his game. If he can improve his kicking with time and be able to take his opponents forward with his size he will be borderline unstoppable

RiOtChEsS

wonder how much of our games Mick is watching now :D

Mat0369

I think we will get a chance to look at both Jack and Bailey again if both are named for Metro and Country on Friday.

Mat0369

I will post this in here, I just finished watching the Open Mike with Jordan Bannister. A couple of interesting facts

*He was sacked by Pagan at half time of the Lions game, Pagan was sacked and Ratts said he would play him the rest of the year and kept him on the list for a couple more.
*He said he still feels awkward going into the Blues rooms and the fact he has to call the players like Walker Andrew since he has never called him Andrew ever.
*He has spoken to a couple of players about becoming umpires in the future including Carrots and Jeffy. He said Carrots would be a huge coup for the umpires and that he mentioned it to Jeffy because he feels that there should be an Indigenous umpire and he has all the tools to be successful. Carrots is looking likely with all the rumors and Jeffy just laughed it off
*The stuff with his brother is just a sad case. After the accident he was going to be bedridden for his entire life and couldn't eat or drink. It just took a massive toll on the whole family

It's worth a watch

Mat0369

Mat0369

Today's game was a bit scrappy. We struggled in the first quarter but after the first break we lifted and then ran away with it in the 2nd half.

They were intent on maintaining possession. They looked to turn and go, if there was nothing on they tried to manufacture a switch to get some players into space before pulling the trigger and moving the ball quickly. It broke down a couple of times due to a lack of foot skills but it is a good starting point.

Everyone is buying into the tackling pressure. There were some great aggressive tackles again from the boys. It is like Barker has told them if you don't tackle you don't get a gig. This is why guys like Dennis and Ellard have held spots. They have been really good with their pressure, they aren't the best by foot but they kept tackling and doing the little things.

Menzel was excellent in the first, the injury was a disappointment. I heard on the radio on the way home that they were able to do an ultrasound at the ground to see there were no breaks and they also did the structural tests on the knee and it looked all good. He was just sore which is why we subbed him off so hopefully everything is good.

Tommy Bell is amazing. The human wrecking ball was in full effect today. He was just breaking through tackles and running through the lines. He is another that the disposal isn't always great but he just throws his body around. I have been a huge wrap for him for a while and I reckon he would be close to leading the B&F

Tuohy is one that has struggled for form the last few years but he has been exceptional the last few games. I think the overall improved team defense has helped him out and not allowing the opposition to expose his deficiencies. He has been running the ball out and using it very well. He is probably our best shot from outside 50 as well.

Kreuz was great again, the tractor was out in full force, it is good to see him getting a few games under his belt and playing so well.

I don't know why the Suns thought it was a good idea to tag Cripps and let Murph off the hook. Murph had another great game and keeps leading from the front.

I can keep pumping up players since we again had another team effort but I will only go with two more. The first is Simon White. He has been having to battle out of his weight class due to Jamo being out and he has been busting his ass and doing a great job.

The 2nd is Holman, he comes on, lays a tackle and his first two kicks hit a teammate on the chest. He looked awesome out there, a big turnaround from his first game where he was thrown to the wolves and forced to play last line in defense when he is more of a mid.

Vinny

Yeah well done boys. Just wanna mention a couple guys in what was a nice team performance.

Today was obviously a very good experience for Cripps, for a 20 year old copping a tight tag, he was great. Disappeared at times but managed to work his way back into the game and like the rest of the team, the aggressive tackling was awesome to watch. But jesus, Raines was dirty at times. They were all good after the game and the guys on Fox were saying that Raines went up and shook Patty's hand and said you're good or something and he smiled. Cripps just seems like such a humble hardworking guy, so stoked with him. Tom flowering Bell! The guys core strength is ridiculous, he cannot be brought down and the way he just bounces off players is awesome. Good on him with a career best 32.

Kellogscrunchynut

There would be a lot to learn for Cripps after getting matched up against an experienced tagger like Raines, can see this lad going far.

RiOtChEsS

we were inconsistent today, when we are on gee we are exciting, the effort is just so pleasing now, the first half of 2015 :-[

Mat0369

Mat0369

I am going to keep this short and sweet compared to the others on the Dogs game.

We pretty much kept up with them in every area but kicking straight. Our kicking on goal for the first 3 quarters was atrocious. The Dogs started the last quarter on fire and we couldn't keep up, at least we fought back in the end. The Dogs defensive set up was amazing. It was the best full ground press I had seen in the last 3 games live. This cause a lot of issues and didn't allow us to go coast to coast. Wood was lining up on Tutt and didn't have to be accountable for him so he could create the 2 on 1.

Another set up the Dogs used to help curtail us was get numbers just outside the stoppage and set up a loose a kick away. So basically when we looked to spread we had nothing but Dogs around us making it difficult to run and carry and when they tried to kick it clear the loose was there to counter. We started to work around it by maintaining possession but a stray kick or two would kill our forward movement. Again, something to learn from in the future.

Dennis somehow had 2.4 and one out on the full which sums up our kicking at goal that night. Also Wood is a spaz, hopefully we don't see him again next year.

Hopefully Cripps and Everitt are alright. I am not sure on Blaine on Blaine. Johnson looked more comfortable as the game went on. He is a rookie listed player so we can't expect too much but he played better then Boek which is very disappointing.

Diesels Pups

Quote from: Mat0369 on July 05, 2015, 10:52:13 PM
I am going to keep this short and sweet compared to the others on the Dogs game.

We pretty much kept up with them in every area but kicking straight. Our kicking on goal for the first 3 quarters was atrocious. The Dogs started the last quarter on fire and we couldn't keep up, at least we fought back in the end. The Dogs defensive set up was amazing. It was the best full ground press I had seen in the last 3 games live. This cause a lot of issues and didn't allow us to go coast to coast. Wood was lining up on Tutt and didn't have to be accountable for him so he could create the 2 on 1.

Another set up the Dogs used to help curtail us was get numbers just outside the stoppage and set up a loose a kick away. So basically when we looked to spread we had nothing but Dogs around us making it difficult to run and carry and when they tried to kick it clear the loose was there to counter. We started to work around it by maintaining possession but a stray kick or two would kill our forward movement. Again, something to learn from in the future.

Dennis somehow had 2.4 and one out on the full which sums up our kicking at goal that night. Also Wood is a spaz, hopefully we don't see him again next year.

Hopefully Cripps and Everitt are alright. I am not sure on Blaine on Blaine. Johnson looked more comfortable as the game went on. He is a rookie listed player so we can't expect too much but he played better then Boek which is very disappointing.
It was obvious to me Boek is not ready for AFL just yet. Still needs the development of an 18 year old. They were saying when they picked him up that he already had a couple of years in the WAFL so he could be a ready made player for us.  Unfortunately not the case and by the time he  develops enough he'll already be close to mid twenties. Could be wrong but that's my take on it.
Good write up about the game, Blues just needed more poise when we had the run of play. Some really bad missed opportunities, and we did miss those 3 outs in Rowe, Carrazzo, and Docherty.

Mat0369

So it turns out Nick Graham is out for 3 weeks with a foot injury. Cripps and Everitt if they both get through training will play.