Main Menu

Carlton showing interest in O'Meara

Started by Mat0369, July 30, 2016, 06:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-30/blues-confirm-interest-in-gun-sun-jaeger-omeara

QuoteBlues confirm interest in gun Sun Jaeger O'Meara

CARLTON has officially declared it's in the race to lure star midfielder Jaeger O'Meara away from Gold Coast.

O'Meara is due to come out of contract at the end of this season but is yet to make a decision on his future.

If the 2013 NAB AFL Rising Star decides to leave Gold Coast, it's understood he will only be interested in joining a Victorian club, with Hawthorn widely linked to him.

"We've spoken to his management but there's a lot of management that we're speaking to at the moment, just to test the water," Carlton CEO Steven Trigg told 3AW on Saturday.

"I think a lot of the competition would be looking at Jaeger and seeing whether he can get up and play for the rest of the year and just how that knee is going, and same [for] the Suns."

Trigg said the Blues' priority was to get young talent in to bolster their list depth either via the draft or trades, but stressed it was "unlikely" they would trade their first-round pick this season.

"Whatever we do it will be young players, so that we can build and develop them and we won't overspend in areas to trick ourselves that this highly paid or potentially over-priced player is going to get us where we need to go to," he said.

O'Meara has not played a senior game since round 22, 2014, having been plagued by a patella tendon injury he suffered in a practice match early last year.

The midfielder played his first game in 18 months in the NEAFL earlier this month but has been sidelined for the past two rounds with knee soreness.

Trigg also confirmed the Blues' interest in being part of a Good Friday match if the AFL breaks with tradition and fixtures a game on the Christian holiday next season.

Asked whether North Melbourne remained Carlton's preferred Good Friday opponent, Trigg said it would be up to the AFL to decide which teams played if the fixture gets the go-ahead.

But the Blues CEO was confident a Carlton-North match-up would produce "a great show".

It sounds like a slight beat up for an article based. I'm assuming all clubs would be testing the waters and doing their due diligence. When he was fit and firing he looks to be a star, the thing is his knees could already be shot. I'd rather Mitchell but if he doesn't break the bank and we can put an offer in for him I'm all for it.

Mr.Craig

If Mitchell goes to Carlton I have a feeling JOM will go to Hawthorn.

Bill Manspeaker

doubts on him ever getting back to the player he was/would have been. bloke on BF who specializes in these kind of injuries has pretty much called it this far and he has major doubts on him

Saints fan and he really hopes we don't go after him

fanTCfool

If we get either of TMitch and Jaeger I will be thrilled

Mat0369

Quote from: Mr.Craig on July 30, 2016, 07:00:01 PM

This is my hope, while O'Meara has more talent his body is more of a question mark. The fact he had double knee surgery after his 2nd year of footy is a huge worry and he hasn't been on the park since. While Mitchell  hasn't been the healthiest guy in his career he doesn't have the same issues as O'Meara. There is less risk for a team like Hawthorn to get him and they can't get both, so my hope is they take O'Meara and it leaves the door open for Mitchell to come to Carlton.

Speaking of coming to Carlton, we're in the same boat being linked to some of the GWS boys again but have said we aren't trading our  first. I don't see how we get any of these guys

Torpedo10

Best thing that could happen to Jaeger is he comes down to Melbourne.

Fyfey has had plenty of injury issues, as has Menzel. It's quite possible to get on the field and highly perform even after these sorts of injuries.

blue

Quote from: Mat0369 on July 30, 2016, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on July 30, 2016, 07:00:01 PM

This is my hope, while O'Meara has more talent his body is more of a question mark. The fact he had double knee surgery after his 2nd year of footy is a huge worry and he hasn't been on the park since. While Mitchell  hasn't been the healthiest guy in his career he doesn't have the same issues as O'Meara. There is less risk for a team like Hawthorn to get him and they can't get both, so my hope is they take O'Meara and it leaves the door open for Mitchell to come to Carlton.

Speaking of coming to Carlton, we're in the same boat being linked to some of the GWS boys again but have said we aren't trading our  first. I don't see how we get any of these guys

I would love to see a fully fit O'Meara running around for the blues but I just don't see how we get him and the risk with his injury, just seems like a massive gamble. But then again SOS magic might come up with something. Interesting Barry Mitchell quiting his job with the swans so I would think that Tom is more likely on the move now too