Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Captain

Quote from: noto07 on April 23, 2014, 02:53:41 PM
Are Brisbane gonna get up for the Diggers? Or should i keep my Tip as Saints? THinking Brissy are due for a big one. Just not sure when.. Hows West doing in ruck? Surely have Hicky covered?

Yep i called it. The MAN!  8) ;)

Ringo

Just wondering what fellow Brisbane supporters opinion of Leppa are after 1/3rd of the season.

Know new coaches enjoy a honeymoon period and I am really impressed with his coaching and new game plan. Has not had luck with injuries and so far imo has not made any real tactical errors and retains faith in his players.

I also really appreciate his honesty as evidenced in his press conferences.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-05-05/young-guys-not-our-worst

Very honest assessment of Swans game and saying Senior players need to stand up more and give support to the young draftees.

Whilst we may not reach position of last yar think Leppa is heading in the right direction,

BB67th

Haven't been able to see too many of our games being in Victoria, so I don't really know what our game day performances have been like.

I have liked his press conferences and the way he has carried himself as coach. We have had some bad performances on the field, but that was always going to happen this year. He has done well to cover injuries and it is good to see a lot of kids getting a run.

strikes91

I'm not impressed, failing to pick the strongest team every week is pissing me off. wasted $61 the other night in tickets to watch Sydney do a training run. Losing patience

Big Berger

I like Leppas approach tbh. Blooding lots of good rookies, we had an awesome draft IMO, and 2016/17 will be good years for us I think.

Quote from: strikes91 on May 05, 2014, 11:05:47 PM
I'm not impressed, failing to pick the strongest team every week is pissing me off. wasted $61 the other night in tickets to watch Sydney do a training run. Losing patience
Not outing the nest team on the park each week? Please explain.

Ringo

I partially agree with Strikes in that some of the selections at times may be questioned. We have an injury crisis which necessitates playing our draftees earlier than usual. This will benefit us in the future as we are getting games into our youth early.

I suppose Strikes is arguing why Maguire was not recalled and that is the only one I really can not understand.  However until the last 2 weeks he was being played as forward in NEAFL to try and extend his career so can partly understand this. Maguire should replace Gardiner this week though. Moloney is probably the other one but Robertson and Aish have stepped up and keeping the pressure on.  Other players in NEAFL who are putting pressure on are Harwood, Crisp, Lisle and O'Brien.  Archie Smith is also developing every game and will be a handy ruckman in the next 2 years.

Our forwards continue to be an issue and in fairness to the selection committee they are picking the best performed in NEAFL.  Although McGuane has looked terrible prior to promotion he had kicked 9 goals in 2 weeks in the NEAFL. Suspect he will be back there this week as he has had 3 games to prove himself.  This is another of Leppas policies I like giving players a reasonable run.

Was pleased to see on Saturday night the change in attitude from Golby when he came on. His attitude in the early games left a fair bit to be desired imo but a stint in the NEAFL appears to have turned that around.

Players who missed last Saturday nights game who would be in Brisbanes best 22 were Berger, Rich, Claye Beams, Hanley, Staker, Brown and possibly McGrath. Some 700 games of experience missing and this has been our problem this year losing the experience.

On the bright side with the draftees performing well when all fit there will be pressure applied for positions so this bears well fo the future.

I was also at the game Strikes and I am a club member and while at times disappointed can see the future developing as well. Again we lost this game in time on in the second quarter where Swans kicked 5.2 in time on. We were very competitive in that quarter and got within 4 points but again concentration waned,

So basically what I am saying we have to enjoy some pain now to benefit the future and so far imo Leppa is doing a reasonable job.

As I have been a Bears/Lions member since 1988 I have seen a lot of ups and downs and at the moment we are going through a rebuilding phase and I am enjoying what I am seeing from Aish, Robertson, Cutler, Mayes and Taylor. Bear in mind we have one of the youngest lists as well and will get even younger with possible retirements this year,

nrich102

If we were to finish with the spoon, or 2nd last, should we consider trading our first pick for more experience? Don't really like the idea myself, but may be worth it.

Ringo

I would be surprised if we were to finish that low Rich as our draw is better for second half with a number of winnable games. Melbourne, GWS, Carlton and maybe Suns at the Gabba which may lift us away from the cellar.

If we were to finish that low then yes maybe trade for a forward as we have depth in other areas. Should have traded hard to get Crameri imo but not sure whether he wanted to come to Brisbane especially with go home boys. 

strikes91

No one is going to want to come anytime soon unless we fork out alot of money

Boomz

Quote from: Ringo on May 06, 2014, 05:19:38 PM
I would be surprised if we were to finish that low Rich as our draw is better for second half with a number of winnable games. Melbourne, GWS, Carlton and maybe Suns at the Gabba which may lift us away from the cellar.

If we were to finish that low then yes maybe trade for a forward as we have depth in other areas. Should have traded hard to get Crameri imo but not sure whether he wanted to come to Brisbane especially with go home boys.

Problem is not many forwards on the market... Best bet would be someone like Lycett from WC but would cost a fair bit for a guy who is a ruck/fwd and not proven yet (despite showing a lot). I'd say the lions would use the pick as not many available/wanting to go there.  Crameri was always off to the dogs only thanks to having a relationship with Mccartney from his time at the dons.

ossie85

You can take the big Q off the pies

Big Berger

ossie85

Fair enough!

How about Mitch Thorp?

elephants

In all seriousness, at the start of the season I thought it'd be a wise decision to let one of Sinclair or Lycett leave in a trade. I have no doubt that these boys will both be jets in a few years time but I struggled to see how we could use them all. I just don't see us trading right now though. We are set for the next 10 years with NicNat, Lycett and Sinkers while Coxy slots in beautifully to a coaching/development role.

Of course, if you were to part with Dan Rich...

kilbluff1985

Hanley chance to be the sub?