Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomK

Quote from: fanTCfool on October 11, 2016, 09:48:39 PM
Quote from: TomK on October 11, 2016, 08:59:30 PM
Quote from: fanTCfool on October 11, 2016, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: TomK on October 11, 2016, 08:06:44 PM
Quote from: fanTCfool on October 11, 2016, 07:54:01 PM
Gibbs has a contract, so we don't have to trade him.
Dangerfield didn't have a contract, so he was gone as soon as he wanted to be.

Gibbs is such an important player to our side, we're not a top side like Adelaide.
Losing a leader will leave a massive hole, so if we can't get what we need then why trade him? Obviously he'll have a very poor few years playing for a team he no longer wants to be with, Cam McCarthy style, but if we throw him away for chips, we won't bounce back like Adelaide did losing Dangerfield, we're not a strong enough side.

The reason Adelaide don't want to pay up for Gibbs is simply because he won't be as important to their side as he is to our side.
Of course, but we didn't have to trade Danger, we could have sent him to the PSD which would've been stupid but still. If you don't trade him, then like you said he will be there when not wanting to be and you'll be wasting 600K a year which could be used to improve your future by luring someone else to the club.

I'd argue he is more important to us, we are going for a flag, Bryce won't be at Carlton the next time they challenge. I understand you lose your Vice Captain and his leadership but if he wants to go, I don't like clubs forcing players to stay, especially when this revolves around their kid, it's not like we're offering a 3rd rounder and Andy Otten. The deal will get done, I'm confident of that, how much more than our first rounder though is the question.

Like I responded to a post on the Crows board, I would have a think about Pick 13 + 2017 1st for Gibbs + Pick 24, which I think is more than fair, leaning in your favour.

I agree with pretty much all that you said, a trade will be made, and forcing a player to stay will only do bad things for their career (see McCarthy in about 6 months time) so it's best for everyone to get it done.

The problem with 13 + 2017 1st + 24 is the hole it leads in the leadership department, someone needs to step up into the role and I'm not sure who it could be, and it is too much to expect from a first year player.

What I should have said instead of "more important to us" is that he will be far less of a 'standout talent' at the Crows.
Yeah fair enough, I understand that, I'm just not sure on what else I would think the club would realistically offer. Tuohy asking to leave as well doesn't help the leadership problems, the GWS boys are all young so probably won't help. I actually like Carlton as well so I hope the deal is a good one for you guys and us of course as well.

Jacobs taps to Gibbs, who smashes out a 71m Torp down to Eddieeeeeeee, who flies high and clunks it. Goal.
Hey, come on now, don't forget Menzel ;)

kilbluff1985

Quote from: PowerBug on October 11, 2016, 08:54:31 PM
"Carlton will only consider trading Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide if it can secure a quality midfielder in trade period bit.ly/2e2BOIX"
- SuperFooty on Twitter

I guess this goes back to what you are satin Ftc about getting some kind of ready made replacement.

Agreed.

Seriously though, I think there was a lot to like in 2016, a very solid patch mid season - wins over Geelong and Port Adelaide were really impressive. I have nothing against youth, and I'm sure all three proposed picks will produce guns, but I feel as though it will halt the growth from this season just gone. If we can maintain some sort of similar level of leadership through our trade-ins, it will build on the ground work laid out so far. Then once guys like Cunningham, C. Curnow, Weiters are approaching their full potential in a few years time, you return to the draft and bring the youth into a team pushing for a Top 8 birth. The balance between experience/leadership with youth and development is really important, and if we end up too youth dominant, the development of the guys mentioned above could be threatened.

Gibbs is such an important player to our side, we're not a top side like Adelaide.
Losing a leader will leave a massive hole, so if we can't get what we need then why trade him? Obviously he'll have a very poor few years playing for a team he no longer wants to be with, Cam McCarthy style, but if we throw him away for chips, we won't bounce back like Adelaide did losing Dangerfield, we're not a strong enough side.

The reason Adelaide don't want to pay up for Gibbs is simply because he won't be as important to their side as he is to our side.
Of course, but we didn't have to trade Danger, we could have sent him to the PSD which would've been stupid but still. If you don't trade him, then like you said he will be there when not wanting to be and you'll be wasting 600K a year which could be used to improve your future by luring someone else to the club.

I'd argue he is more important to us, we are going for a flag, Bryce won't be at Carlton the next time they challenge. I understand you lose your Vice Captain and his leadership but if he wants to go, I don't like clubs forcing players to stay, especially when this revolves around their kid, it's not like we're offering a 3rd rounder and Andy Otten. The deal will get done, I'm confident of that, how much more than our first rounder though is the question.

Like I responded to a post on the Crows board, I would have a think about Pick 13 + 2017 1st for Gibbs + Pick 24, which I think is more than fair, leaning in your favour.

I agree with pretty much all that you said, a trade will be made, and forcing a player to stay will only do bad things for their career (see McCarthy in about 6 months time) so it's best for everyone to get it done.

The problem with 13 + 2017 1st + 24 is the hole it leads in the leadership department, someone needs to step up into the role and I'm not sure who it could be, and it is too much to expect from a first year player.

What I should have said instead of "more important to us" is that he will be far less of a 'standout talent' at the Crows.
Yeah fair enough, I understand that, I'm just not sure on what else I would think the club would realistically offer. Tuohy asking to leave as well doesn't help the leadership problems, the GWS boys are all young so probably won't help. I actually like Carlton as well so I hope the deal is a good one for you guys and us of course as well.

Jacobs taps to Gibbs, who smashes out a 71m Torp down to Eddieeeeeeee, who flies high and clunks it. Goal.

Quote from: Jay on October 11, 2016, 09:29:08 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on October 11, 2016, 09:06:50 PM
So contracts seem to be worth flower all these days is basically what free agency is.

Needs to be some sort of accountability for signing a contract.  The only people who should be able to control what happens to a contracted player is the parties who own the contract.  Have no problem with Carlton playing hardball, if Crows don't want to give up what they need to then back off, Gibbs suck it up and play out that piece of paper that you signed with you own hand, do you "JOB".
He's got the contract and they can hold him to it. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, I'm not saying that they have to trade him and we have any sort of leverage at all. But if we can offer up a package that is better for their future than hanging onto Gibbs, they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't consider it.

But if they want Brad Crouch then they can get stuffed, we'll take pick 13 and add to our young core :)

Can you blame us for inquiring about Crouch though? And please don't see he's contracted  ::)
I wouldn't blame the Crows for inquiring about guys such as Weiters and Cripps if the circumstances were different.

he's contracted

fanTCfool

Quote from: TomK on October 11, 2016, 09:55:20 PM

AFL Goals in 2016
Jack Fitzpatrick 3
Troy Menzel 0

;D ;) :P

iZander

Quote from: fanTCfool on October 11, 2016, 10:18:55 PM

AFL Goals in 2016
Jack Fitzpatrick 3
Troy Menzel 0

John Butcher - 5 :P

Koop

Quote from: iZander on October 11, 2016, 10:21:06 PM
Quote from: fanTCfool on October 11, 2016, 10:18:55 PM

AFL Goals in 2016
Jack Fitzpatrick 3
Troy Menzel 0

John Butcher - 5 :P
Kyle Reimers kicked 8 once  ;D

lachie_001

If I'm Crows, I'm saying we are working with picks and thats it. You can take pick 13 to help get Marchbank and keep 5 and we will try and accomodate you with a second rounder next year. Otherwise forget about it and keep him, Gibbs isn't the answer to next Crows Premiership and when you can get players like Talia, Smith or Lever for pick 13 who the hell cares about getting Gibbs, srsly!

And to the next person who says we are our premiership window won't last long, I'll remind them that we had the most players of any team in the 22under22 squad. Those of which include, Laird, Atkins, Cameron, McGovern, Lever and Crouch's.

RaisyDaisy

Hope Ade/Car sort it out asap so this convo can end  :-X

fanTCfool

Crows bias is clouding your judgement there, lachie, 13 and 2017 pick likely to be in the 30s isn't up to Gibbs.

Lets say 13 becomes Marchbank, and the following were taken between 30 and 36 in 2015
30 - Mason Redman
31 - Ryan Clarke
32 - Brayden Sier
33 - Mitchell Hibberd
34 - Josh Schoenfield
35 - Marcus Adams
36 - Tom Cole

Marchbank + one of those is not worth Gibbs.

You say that you don't need Gibbs, but I think you are wrong there too.
Round 23, no Sloane, Adelaide fell apart to be frank. It cost you the double chance.
Gibbs gives you that extra leader you need, and will no doubt assist when Scott Thompson retires next year, takes the pressure off guys like M and B Crouch to step into Scott Thompson's shoes straight away looking forward.

kilbluff1985

i'm curious so if Gibbs isn't the answer for the Crows who or what is?

to me it only seems like there midfield is lacking compared to the top 4 teams after Danger left and Gibbs will help with that along with development of the Crouch brothers and others

i'd have Crows making top 4 if they land Gibbs

Ricochet

Quote from: fanTCfool on October 11, 2016, 11:15:31 PM
You say that you don't need Gibbs, but I think you are wrong there too.
Round 23, no Sloane, Adelaide fell apart to be frank. It cost you the double chance.
Gibbs gives you that extra leader you need, and will no doubt assist when Scott Thompson retires next year, takes the pressure off guys like M and B Crouch to step into Scott Thompson's shoes straight away looking forward.
100% agree

shaker

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 11, 2016, 11:15:19 PM

Yes it is turning into a bit of a Gibbs fest

fanTCfool

Quote from: shaker on October 11, 2016, 11:25:28 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 11, 2016, 11:15:19 PM

Yes it is turning into a bit of a Gibbs fest

It's only a Gibbs fest because nothing else has happened  :P

elephants