Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

I guess it depends on what you classify as an athlete.

PowerBug

Quote from: Ricochet on November 02, 2015, 04:44:55 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on November 02, 2015, 04:42:46 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 02, 2015, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on November 02, 2015, 04:38:35 PM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on November 02, 2015, 04:10:25 PM
For quitting the best job in the world because he doesnt want to put in the hard work
We could've all been professional athletes if we put in the hard work required.
No, we couldn't have. There's thousands that don't make it that have a higher level or work ethic or put more work in than those that do mate it, but simply don't have the talent.
Some need to work harder than others to get there but it is possible.
Sorry man still disagree. Plenty work harder than those that get drafted, and still aren't good enough
Fair enough :)

I still think JB is not right in calling him a soft cock for quitting.
Just your average footy nuffie.
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Ringo

Quote from: PowerBug on November 02, 2015, 05:43:59 PM
For quitting the best job in the world because he doesnt want to put in the hard work
No, we couldn't have. There's thousands that don't make it that have a higher level or work ethic or put more work in than those that do mate it, but simply don't have the talent.
Sorry man still disagree. Plenty work harder than those that get drafted, and still aren't good enough

Put yourself in Bostons shoes.  He was 19 when drafted by the Suns so had a bit more maturity. Had 2 serious injuries and has only played 16 games in 2 years.  So he has evaluated whether he has the capacity to be an elite AFL player given the number of games he played this year in an injury depleted Suns out fit.  He would be looking at the fact GAJ, Prestia and JOM will automatically come back in and where does that leave him. So credit to him for having the courage to walk away rather than occupy a spot on the list with injuries the only reason you may get a Senior game.

As has been said you can train and do all the work required but if you do not have the additional 5% of talent you may not make it.

Big Mac

Quote from: Ringo on November 02, 2015, 06:17:57 PM

Put yourself in Bostons shoes.  He was 19 when drafted by the Suns so had a bit more maturity. Had 2 serious injuries and has only played 16 games in 2 years.  So he has evaluated whether he has the capacity to be an elite AFL player given the number of games he played this year in an injury depleted Suns out fit.  He would be looking at the fact GAJ, Prestia and JOM will automatically come back in and where does that leave him. So credit to him for having the courage to walk away rather than occupy a spot on the list with injuries the only reason you may get a Senior game.

As has been said you can train and do all the work required but if you do not have the additional 5% of talent you may not make it.

Well, yeh, unless you're tall as flower

ahem *robert warnock*  :P

powersuperkents

+1

Have to agree with Rico, there's plenty who are eligible and just need to put in the hard work (but fail to do so), however a vast majority of people never have the potential to begin with. You first need the genetics, the mindset, the build, the athleticism, and the effort (it's a lot to tick off and there is probably more) and then there are those you are naturally talented and built for the game (who really have to flower up to be overlooked for hard-workers). If you walked down a busy street, it would be incredibly rare to find somebody who could potentially be an athlete of any sorts (it's the reason players like Josh Thomas & Lachlan Keefe resorted to taking banned substances, they obviously needed them or risked being delisted as they just could not keep up with the rest of the competition or their teammates (no matter how hard they tried) - this applies to 99% of athletes who take performance enhancing drugs - I honestly cannot see any other reason why a professional athlete would take them but it really demonstrates the demanding nature of professional sports. Of course there is that minority who are already in the top tier but do it to constantly improve, conversely one may argue that they are doing it to remain in the top tier) 

I would say 95% of people don't have what it takes to begin with (the competitiveness makes it even more difficult among those who do have the attributes)

@Holz, could not agree more, honorable thing to do by Boston. Hopefully he finds something he enjoys

powersuperkents

Quote from: Big  Mac on November 02, 2015, 06:31:09 PM
Quote from: Ringo on November 02, 2015, 06:17:57 PM

Well, yeh, unless you're tall as flower

ahem *robert warnock*  :P
+1

Wayne Carey noted how a lot of spuds in the modern game only play professional level because of their height hahahaha

Spite

Quote from: powersuperkents on November 02, 2015, 06:31:52 PM
+1

Have to agree with Rico, there's plenty who are eligible and just need to put in the hard work (but fail to do so), however a vast majority of people never have the potential to begin with. You first need the genetics, the mindset, the build, the athleticism, and the effort (it's a lot to tick off and there is probably more) and then there are those you are naturally talented and built for the game (who really have to flower up to be overlooked for hard-workers). If you walked down a busy street, it would be incredibly rare to find somebody who could potentially be an athlete of any sorts (it's the reason players like Josh Thomas & Lachlan Keefe resorted to taking banned substances, they obviously needed them or risked being delisted as they just could not keep up with the rest of the competition or their teammates (no matter how hard they tried) - this applies to 99% of athletes who take performance enhancing drugs - I honestly cannot see any other reason why a professional athlete would take them but it really demonstrates the demanding nature of professional sports. Of course there is that minority who are already in the top tier but do it to constantly improve, conversely one may argue that they are doing it to remain in the top tier) 

I would say 95% of people don't have what it takes to begin with (the competitiveness makes it even more difficult among those who do have the attributes)

@Holz, could not agree more, honorable thing to do by Boston. Hopefully he finds something he enjoys

wtf you talking about mate. They got caught with a drug used to cut coke... Sure it is "performance enhancing" but I thought it was pretty widely understood they just did drugs and got busted, not trying to cheat in any way...AND on top of that, they wouldn't have been delisted at all. They both had fine seasons. So much so that we will probably draft them again next season when they become available. They could keep up with the competition just fine, what a load of bull you just spat out

meow meow

Boston couldn't handle the lifestyle of an AFL footballer? WTF is so difficult about it? He has to eat well, lift some weights, run lots, take cocaine, deal with women throwing themself at him despite that thing on his face, get paid far too much for kicking a ball around. What a soft cock.

Toga

Quote from: meow meow on November 02, 2015, 07:12:33 PM
deal with women throwing themself at him despite that thing on his face

;D ;D

Spite

Quote from: meow meow on November 02, 2015, 07:12:33 PM
Boston couldn't handle the lifestyle of an AFL footballer? WTF is so difficult about it? He has to eat well, lift some weights, run lots, take cocaine, deal with women throwing themself at him despite that thing on his face, get paid far too much for kicking a ball around. What a soft cock.

Check coaches thread lol

powersuperkents

Quote from: Spite on November 02, 2015, 06:38:51 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on November 02, 2015, 06:31:52 PM
+1

wtf you talking about mate. They got caught with a drug used to cut coke... Sure it is "performance enhancing" but I thought it was pretty widely understood they just did drugs and got busted, not trying to cheat in any way...AND on top of that, they wouldn't have been delisted at all. They both had fine seasons. So much so that we will probably draft them again next season when they become available. They could keep up with the competition just fine, what a load of bull you just spat out
First I'm hearing about any recreational drug use mate (mere misunderstanding), but I've looked and the articles confirm this was the case (what I heard was they took 'clenbuterol' and that was the most I investigated when it happened). However, you are focusing on one trivial aspect of my post and completely missing the point as those two players were merely used as a case study to illustrate that athletes generally take performance enhancing drugs to remain competitive which was an example used to illustrate how certain attributes were required to be a professional athlete (it was quite in-depth but I would not say it was too extreme a tangent).

To lump dismiss everything in the post based on one example for the purposes of explanation is significantly more ridiculous than the one-eyed focus on a particular sentence (however, I concede that I should have researched the two before using them as an example, from the news reports at the time they only mentioned the PE drug and necessity seemed the logical inference as it would any athlete - it just didn't seem too important at the time I was writing it as it was intended as a case study).

Upon learning this, these two would fit into the minority of performance-enhancing drug users called 'idiots who use them inadvertently'  :P

Although they aren't bad players, I would still say they were not Collingwood starting XXII material - they are young though. They were up and coming, but Collingwood were in decline (and the recent influx of talent would push them further out if they had not been caught - not saying Thomas wouldn't have been handy this season, but Taylor Adams rise after a disappointing 2014 would have affected his output) - I would say they were both fringe players

I'll edit the post;

'Have to agree with Rico, there's plenty who are eligible and just need to put in the hard work (but fail to do so), however a vast majority of people never have the potential to begin with. You first need the genetics, the mindset, the build, the athleticism, and the effort (it's a lot to tick off and there is probably more) and then there are those you are naturally talented and built for the game (who really have to flower up to be overlooked for hard-workers). If you walked down a busy street, it would be incredibly rare to find somebody who could potentially be an athlete of any sorts - this applies to 99% of athletes who take performance enhancing drugs - I honestly cannot see any other reason why a professional athlete would take them but it really demonstrates the demanding nature of professional sports. Of course there is that minority who are already in the top tier but do it to constantly improve, conversely one may argue that they are doing it to remain in the top tier)'

quinny88

If people think natural talent and genetics are more important than hard work then you're dreaming.
Tony Liberatore won a Brownlow..

Ricochet

Quote from: quinny88 on November 03, 2015, 02:15:34 AM
If people think natural talent and genetics are more important than hard work then you're dreaming.
That was back then. Its different these days.
For every one that gets through on purely hard work there's 50 that worked just as hard and didnt make it

Don't get me wrong, you cannot get through on ability to play/genetics/athleticism/talent alone, but its the more important than a high work ethic alone.

Torpedo10

Quote from: Ricochet on November 03, 2015, 09:33:36 AM
For every one that gets through on purely hard work there's 50 that worked just as hard and didnt make it

Don't get me wrong, you cannot get through on ability to play/genetics/athleticism/talent alone, but its the more important than a high work ethic alone.
Where does one get the talent from then?

This is quite an interesting topic, from all views of all sports.

Is it pure luck if you have a talent in one particular sport?

Ricochet

Quote from: Torpedo10 on November 03, 2015, 11:44:57 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 03, 2015, 09:33:36 AM

Where does one get the talent from then?

This is quite an interesting topic, from all views of all sports.

Is it pure luck if you have a talent in one particular sport?
For talent, majority is from your upbringing. If you have a footy in your hand from the day you're born, chances are you'll be ok at footy. Athletic ability and genetics are different obviously.