Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spite

Quote from: silloc on October 01, 2015, 01:17:06 PM
Quote from: Spite on October 01, 2015, 12:41:13 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 01, 2015, 12:00:02 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on October 01, 2015, 10:35:53 AM
Interesting

Can any pies supporters explain why he didn't get many games this year? Is it just that other guys like Elliot were ahead of him or were there other reasons?

Not sure he can play as a full time mid, and I don't know if he can find enough of the ball while forward. He has pace though, which is something we really lack
It was for the former reason. He struggled to compete with Elliot, Blair, Broomhead etc.

I would rate Bennedy higher than Garlett in the forward line (although Garlett has been a handy forward pocket).

A good pick up for the Dees imo

No way he's better than Garlett are you joking?
He couldn't crack a game because he wasn't good enough, period. We basically gifted him chances to prove himself and maybe even to make him stay but he couldn't cope with top level footy and looked all out of sorts. I watch him in the VFL and he's a completely different player than what he is in the AFL.

Hopefully for you Dees supporters he can be the AFL player like he plays VFL but if not, you're going to pay a high price for another very average player

although I agree that he is nowhere near garlett, that's harsh. You're only talking about a 3rd year player.

Sure, it is harsh. But where do you draw the line? He really hasn't shown anything to be excited about in his 3 seasons. Being drafted with broomhead and Grundy, who have shown a lot more already, along with already being overtaken by players drafted just last season (De Goey, Moore are already playing) isn't a good sign for him.
I'm not even including scharenberg who will probably start for us now, or even Freeman, who before injuries was quite likely ahead of kennedy in the pecking order.
It is harsh but he could have even been in delistment discussions, we had to get rid of Dwyer who was definitely a handy player for us. I think it is a great time for him to switch clubs and try and get a game somewhere else, a fantastic career move and I hope it all works out for him, it just wasn't going to work out at the Pies.

Ricochet

Quote- 1116 SEN is reporting that Adelaide's Cameron Ellis-Yolmen could be on the way out of the club, as he is yet to be offered a new contract for next season.

TomK

Quote from: Ricochet on October 01, 2015, 02:29:45 PM
Quote- 1116 SEN is reporting that Adelaide's Cameron Ellis-Yolmen could be on the way out of the club, as he is yet to be offered a new contract for next season.
Rumours he is off to Sydney

Spite

Quote from: TomK on October 01, 2015, 02:32:23 PM

Wow, do they really need another mid?

TomK

Quote from: Spite on October 01, 2015, 02:32:55 PM

Probably not but apparently they're keen.

I hope we keep him, he showed a bit when we played him in the first half of the season.

jvalles69

Quote from: TomK on October 01, 2015, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: Spite on October 01, 2015, 02:32:55 PM

Probably not but apparently they're keen.

I hope we keep him, he showed a bit when we played him in the first half of the season.

FFS Sydney, send Tommy Mitchell back west will ya!  ;D

Nige

Sounds like Woosha is the new Bombers coach.

Purple 77

Quote from: Nige on October 01, 2015, 02:54:06 PM
Sounds like Woosha is the new Bombers coach.

I'm just glad it means McCartney stays at the Dees  :D

Rusty00

Bit surprising I thought. Seems the logical replacement for Scotty Thompson and I thought was pretty handy in the first half of the season.

silloc

Quote from: Spite on October 01, 2015, 02:18:57 PM
Interesting

Can any pies supporters explain why he didn't get many games this year? Is it just that other guys like Elliot were ahead of him or were there other reasons?

Not sure he can play as a full time mid, and I don't know if he can find enough of the ball while forward. He has pace though, which is something we really lack
It was for the former reason. He struggled to compete with Elliot, Blair, Broomhead etc.

I would rate Bennedy higher than Garlett in the forward line (although Garlett has been a handy forward pocket).

He couldn't crack a game because he wasn't good enough, period. We basically gifted him chances to prove himself and maybe even to make him stay but he couldn't cope with top level footy and looked all out of sorts. I watch him in the VFL and he's a completely different player than what he is in the AFL.

Hopefully for you Dees supporters he can be the AFL player like he plays VFL but if not, you're going to pay a high price for another very average player

although I agree that he is nowhere near garlett, that's harsh. You're only talking about a 3rd year player.

Sure, it is harsh. But where do you draw the line? He really hasn't shown anything to be excited about in his 3 seasons. Being drafted with broomhead and Grundy, who have shown a lot more already, along with already being overtaken by players drafted just last season (De Goey, Moore are already playing) isn't a good sign for him.
I'm not even including scharenberg who will probably start for us now, or even Freeman, who before injuries was quite likely ahead of kennedy in the pecking order.
It is harsh but he could have even been in delistment discussions, we had to get rid of Dwyer who was definitely a handy player for us. I think it is a great time for him to switch clubs and try and get a game somewhere else, a fantastic career move and I hope it all works out for him, it just wasn't going to work out at the Pies.

I understand your logic, but if he is dominating in the VFL and can't transfer it to seniors, you'd want to persist with him a little longer. Colyer is 24 and only really cemented his spot this year

Toga

I also think that's a bit harsh on Kennedy. Think the sub rule has really prevented him from getting a real opportunity to showcase himself tbh - comes into the team one week after solid VFL form, plays as sub and comes on late without getting much of an opportunity and is first dropped the next week.

That's just how I see it anyways - I really rate him!

Spite

Quote from: silloc on October 01, 2015, 03:07:57 PM
Quote from: Spite on October 01, 2015, 02:18:57 PM
Interesting

I understand your logic, but if he is dominating in the VFL and can't transfer it to seniors, you'd want to persist with him a little longer. Colyer is 24 and only really cemented his spot this year

I think the major difference in those two is, correct me if I am wrong, role. Colyer would be playing the same position in the VFL as he does in the AFL whereas Kennedy has lots of mid time in the VFL and then has to play as a forward in the AFL and he's just not a great forward. On top of that, his kicking is really poor at AFL (not VFL level) and we have enough players who can't hit a target. I think other clubs like Melbourne can afford to nurture and give him more chances but because of all the youth already ahead of him, we can't.

Quote from: Toga on October 01, 2015, 03:34:24 PM
I also think that's a bit harsh on Kennedy. Think the sub rule has really prevented him from getting a real opportunity to showcase himself tbh - comes into the team one week after solid VFL form, plays as sub and comes on late without getting much of an opportunity and is first dropped the next week.

That's just how I see it anyways - I really rate him!

He did play 3 unsubbed games this year, and was probably back to back worst on ground in two of those. In his final game of the year he kicked 2 soccer goals and really, they did not show any real goal kicking prowess, no one would have missed kicking a ball off the ground in the square.

I was a huge Ben Kennedy fan and have watched him over the past 3 years, he really hasn't come along too well compared to others and fortunately there is still time for him to come good, but just not at the Pies.

I can't understand why you really rate him still, are you just mesmerised at the fact he was a good junior? He hasn't done anything good at all for people to rate him... People on here really rated Darley and Howard too, well after it became obvious they just weren't going to make it at AFL level.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 01, 2015, 03:06:21 PM
Bit surprising I thought. Seems the logical replacement for Scotty Thompson and I thought was pretty handy in the first half of the season.

Thought the same - surprised they would just cut him

As for Bennedy, he is sooooo overrated around this place (FF). Yeah he's a decent kid with some talent, but so are plenty others yet he has always been hyped up around here which I have never understood

powersuperkents

I think the Crows are backing Matt Crouch to assume that role in the future

Ricochet

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 01, 2015, 04:56:37 PM
I think the Crows are backing Matt Crouch to assume that role in the future
Gun NDT boy ;)