Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Chumps

I just cannot fathom how we are now being punished for something that the AFL implemented.

I'll be pretty despondent if this is why we've missed out on Patful and Ryan Griffen.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Whipped on October 09, 2014, 11:44:33 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 09, 2014, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: Whipped on October 09, 2014, 11:36:24 PM
yeah so if a player requests a trade what happens?

They can't come to Sydney. That's (possibly) why Patful is headed to GWS.

i mean what if a Sydney player requests a trade

if one has family concerns and they want to go home but cant i think players association should get involved

Yeah Sydney would only be able to recieve picks.

Players Association is already all over it

Ziplock

If the intention of this rule is to stop players from coming to sydney and receiving COLA over the next couple of year (which I think it is), then the AFL surely could have just implemented a rule saying players traded in don't receive COLA.

If it isn't that, then Sydney are being penalised for having followed the rules the AFL set out.

If you disagree with that you're either a moron or unimaginably blinded by bias.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: My Chumps on October 09, 2014, 11:52:59 PM
I just cannot fathom how we are now being punished for something that the AFL implemented.

I'll be pretty despondent if this is why we've missed out on Patful and Ryan Griffen.
If Sydney got Patful, Griffen and kept Malceski, oh the uproar. I know I would give them shower all over social media

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: whatlez on October 10, 2014, 12:28:38 AM

If Sydney got Patful, Griffen and kept Malceski, oh the uproar. I know I would give them shower all over social media

You realise they wouldn't have 9.8% on their contracts right? #clueless

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 10, 2014, 12:31:00 AM
Quote from: whatlez on October 10, 2014, 12:28:38 AM

You realise they wouldn't have 9.8% on their contracts right? #clueless
Lol the amount of shower Sydney get on Facebook is enough. Calling me clueless is amusing.

Mr.Craig

Just throwing it out there but this feels like it's Buddy related. The AFL seemed pretty keen for him to land at GWS, then Sydney came in to the picture. Does anyone think this is just some petty revenge? I know they could have blocked the trade and screwed Sydney that way, but still...

Ricochet

Not sure Craigy but do get the feeling there is a looooot more to this than we know

Spite

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 10, 2014, 01:06:29 AM
Just throwing it out there but this feels like it's Buddy related. The AFL seemed pretty keen for him to land at GWS, then Sydney came in to the picture. Does anyone think this is just some petty revenge? I know they could have blocked the trade and screwed Sydney that way, but still...

Agreed, they should have blocked the trade back then, now they are just digging a hole

kilbluff1985

i often wonder how much stuff happens we don't find out about

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Whipped on October 10, 2014, 01:12:48 AM
i often wonder how much stuff happens we don't find out about

I'll go with lots.

Mat0369

They realise the fact that Sydney gave him such a long contract means it will hurt their long term future? 5 years into this 9 year deal the Swans could have the shell of the player we see today and still have to pay him out, even if he sits in the reserves.

You also can't have the COLA in place then complain when a team gives out a ridiculous long term contract to get the big market free agent while also having to clear room off their books to get him. Also if they want to phase out the COLA, you have to look at the kids that are freshly drafted and move out their or the rookie listed players. They are the ones that will suffer out of this and it will hurt them more financially, especially with their long term future. What the AFL should do with the COLA is that rookie contracted players and rookie listed players either get their housing funded by the club or they can receive extra payments for rent. Much like the house the GWS boys lived in when they first moved over. It means you can remove it from the COLA and still make it fair to the guys that it will actually effect the most.

kilbluff1985

the Buddy deal should never have been approved due to the length of it

Mr.Craig

Did Sydney know COLA was being phased out when they did the deal? I can't remember.

Mat0369

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 10, 2014, 01:23:37 AM
Did Sydney know COLA was being phased out when they did the deal? I can't remember.

From memory, nope. It happened afterwards when teams had a crack at them for signing Buddy and the unfair advantage that COLA caused.