Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCarey18

Well we all love a trade discussion, so how about this one then. Involves Beams, Greenwood and now Treloar.

Brisbane gives: Pick 5 and Patfull
Brisbane receives: Beams

Collingwood gives: Beams and Pick 30
Collingwood receives: Treloar and Greenwood

GWS gives: Treloar and O'Rourke
GWS receives: Patfull and Picks 5, 30 and 54

Norf gives: Greenwood and Pick 54
Norf recieves: O'Rourke.

Quote from: Jayman on October 07, 2014, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: WCarey18 on October 07, 2014, 03:37:32 PM
Quote from: brad on October 07, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
what's the use of Beams leaving if he doesn't get to his prefered destination

Has said he'd like to go to Brisbane all along, but if he can't get there (due to trade loggerheads), he'd have to settle for GWS, and I'm sure they'd gladly have him.
You know Western Sydney isn't in Queensland, right? :P

*facepalm* Yes, I did. But for a moment there, in between the exam study, GWS = Greater Western Suburbs of Brisbane.  ::)

Pkbaldy

Quote from: WCarey18 on October 07, 2014, 03:45:29 PM
Well we all love a trade discussion, so how about this one then. Involves Beams, Greenwood and now Treloar.

Brisbane gives: Pick 5 and Patfull
Brisbane receives: Beams

Collingwood gives: Beams and Pick 30
Collingwood receives: Treloar and Greenwood

Norf gives: Greenwood and Pick 54
Norf recieves: O'Rourke.

Quote from: Jayman on October 07, 2014, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: WCarey18 on October 07, 2014, 03:37:32 PM
Quote from: brad on October 07, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
what's the use of Beams leaving if he doesn't get to his prefered destination

Has said he'd like to go to Brisbane all along, but if he can't get there (due to trade loggerheads), he'd have to settle for GWS, and I'm sure they'd gladly have him.
You know Western Sydney isn't in Queensland, right? :P

*facepalm* Yes, I did. But for a moment there, in between the exam study, GWS = Greater Western Suburbs of Brisbane.  ::)

No... Some of it isn't to bad. But Treloar isn't going to go anywhere buddy.

T Dog

C'mon...Stef Martin and pick 5 to the pies....C'mon   ;D

Ricochet

Nails

That'd be the worst trade in AFL history.

WCarey18

Quote from: Nails on October 07, 2014, 04:34:41 PM

I can think of worse. Jordan McMahon for pick 19.

Ricochet

Jon Ralph reporting that Jon O'Rourke has told Hawthorn they are his preferred home

roo boys!

Leaving a club that's shown years worth of faith in you, and when you finally come good, go on the hunt for more coin thinking you're a topline midfielder. Good riddance Greenwood!

Two ways to look at this, either North did the right thing by not paying overs for a player who's had one good season, ensuring the rest of the team stayed together, or North flowered up big time recruiting the two free agents and not having enough $$ left over to pay Greenwood.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of great teams of recent years have taken paycuts in order to keep their whole team together, is that right? Geelong after Ablett left springs to mind. Maybe these are the sort of players we need at North anyway, not money hungry blokes.

strikes91

Quote from: Ricochet on October 07, 2014, 04:46:22 PM
Jon Ralph reporting that Jon O'Rourke has told Hawthorn they are his preferred home

What will Hawthorn hand over ?

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: WCarey18 on October 07, 2014, 04:43:55 PM
Quote from: Nails on October 07, 2014, 04:34:41 PM

I can think of worse. Jordan McMahon for pick 19.
Raph Clarke for pick 8

WCarey18

Quote from: roo boys! on October 07, 2014, 04:49:13 PM
Leaving a club that's shown years worth of faith in you, and when you finally come good, go on the hunt for more coin thinking you're a topline midfielder. Good riddance Greenwood!

Two ways to look at this, either North did the right thing by not paying overs for a player who's had one good season, ensuring the rest of the team stayed together, or North flowered up big time recruiting the two free agents and not having enough $$ left over to pay Greenwood.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of great teams of recent years have taken paycuts in order to keep their whole team together, is that right? Geelong after Ablett left springs to mind. Maybe these are the sort of players we need at North anyway, not money hungry blokes.

I reckon its a bit of both.

According to Liam Pickering, the latest contract offer from North was "too little, too late" which suggests that North had focused their attention on securing Higgins and Waite over Greenwood.

Apparently the biggest reason he wants to go to Collingwood is because they offered him a longer contract = more money and stability. Choosing stability isn't a bad thing, but wow, its an exceptional move considering how close we are to a possible flag and how long we've stood beside him.

Bad North for not giving him a reasonable deal, Bad Greenwood for walking out like this.

shaker

Don't know what Norf are paying Waite and Higgins but if it was more than they offered Greenwood I think they flowered up

Ricochet

I don't think North can start to think or get upset that Waite + Higgins pushed Greenwood out. Yes Greenwood had a ripper year but in terms of structure Waite will add so much more up fwd and Higgins will add that clean outside use. Plus the depth of the North mids should cover the loss of Greenwood.

Rusty00

Quote from: Ricochet on October 07, 2014, 05:06:29 PM
I don't think North can start to think or get upset that Waite + Higgins pushed Greenwood out. Yes Greenwood had a ripper year but in terms of structure Waite will add so much more up fwd and Higgins will add that clean outside use. Plus the depth of the North mids should cover the loss of Greenwood.
Agree. On face value it appears North stuffed it, but if Greenwood was asking overs based on 1 good year, then they made the right call.

Now they can use that 1 good year in their favour by getting a good deal for him ;)

WCarey18

Quote from: shaker on October 07, 2014, 05:02:58 PM
Don't know what Norf are paying Waite and Higgins but if it was more than they offered Greenwood I think they flowered up

Heard Higgins is on $400k over 3 years, I think. What the should have offered Greenwood.  ::)

I suppose we can be sad until the cows come home...but its probably the best way to look at it. Though its a big risk bringing in two injury-prone players, let alone a 30yo old one. Then loosing a decent midfielder as a result.

Hopefully we can snag someone for Greenwood.

Quote from: Rusty00 on October 07, 2014, 05:09:11 PM
Agree. On face value it appears North stuffed it, but if Greenwood was asking overs based on 1 good year, then they made the right call.

Now they can use that 1 good year in their favour by getting a good deal for him ;)

Wasn't asking overs. North offered him $280k for two years at the start of the season, then after his explosive season, Collingwood nabbed him for $400k for 4 years. About right price, and surprised North couldn't match it. Very surprised.