Main Menu

Richmond 2015

Started by quinny88, June 15, 2014, 12:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

We didn't wanna play finals in 2014 anyway right?  8)

So I know what we say means nothing but what would you guys like to see going into 2015?
Delistings, trades, recruits etc.

For me this season has pointed out some major deficiencies.

We desperately need:
1. A gun small forward - tackles, pressures, quick, kicks goals (e.g ballantyne, walters, rioli)

2. A secondary key forward - hate him or love him, jack like Richo before him, is having to do to much on his own. Can't be expected to kick a bag every week. Either one of Vickery, Griffiths or McBean step up and become a gun or we need to source one elsewhere.

3. A bonified A grade midfielder. We have a lot of mids with big potential but they are all kids. Cotchin, Martin, Conca, Ellis, Vlastuin, Miles I'm sure will make a strong midfield for the next 10 years but we need someone there now that is developed and can set the tone. Not necessarily an older player but at least someone that is a proven gun that you know will add to our group and speed up the development of the others. We apparently have a mountain of cash so throw everything at a big name (fyfe or danger ;) )

4. Pace. Doesn't have to be quality. Port identified that they needed pace and went after fringe players Matty white and Polec to fill that void for little cost. They have a specific role and in both cases it has worked well.

Time to go?
Newy you are a club legend but probably playing his last season and will retire.
King? Would encourage him to go around again if we can't get the small forward we need. I know there are mixed views on him but when he is fit his tackling and pressure inside 50 is huge.
Az Edwards. 30 years old now, been a journeyman his whole career and has played a role for us but probably won't get an opportunity next year and should retire.
Stephenson will probably retire.

Delist/trade?
They need to make a decision on what they want our forward line to look like. Vickery, Griffiths, McBean, Elton are all VFL players or sub standard AFL players. Something's gotta give. McBean is a long term project. Elton is big and seasoned enough that he needs to be played or cut. Vickery and Griffiths are 50/50. One of them needs to go to the next level. At the moment my money's on Griffiths being that guy. A shame considering Vickery is a top 10 draft pick. Would ditch Elton, persist with McBean and give Vickery and Griffiths one more year to battle it out before moving 1 on.

Grigg. Gone. That is all.

Batchelor, Dea? Make a decision.

Foley? Love the little bloke but use him as trade bait while he has some sort of currency.
Same for Titch for mine. Out of contract and I wouldn't bother with a new one. Doesn't impact games enough, I would look to trade

Our team isn't stuffed. Our year has been a nightmare but I still maintain there is upside in almost all of our players. Very few old enough to be at their peak. Not losing irreplaceable veterans in the near future like other teams. Were in a good position, we just need to address a few things, top up our list and attack 2015.

Another bonus is that we are looking at a nice high draft pick this year :P

Vinny

I know he isn't a freak small forward but would you guys be interested in Garlett?

He is only 24, what would you offer?

Nige

I'll address each point.

1. Yeah, a dangerous small forward is key. There aren't too many available from other clubs I don't think. I'd like to see us pick up either Christian Petracca (more of a medium forward) or Jarrod Pickett (can play defense also, bit like Impey) for this reason and break away from the mold of players we've drafted recently.

2. Given up Ty, but I still have hope that Griff or McBean can be the messiah. Although, the end of the year draft is a strong KPP draft a good one should be up for grabs with our pick (likely, 6, 7 or 8).

3. We have cash and we need somebody solid. Nobody second tier will do. We have to throw a bit at somebody like Fyfe (unlikely) but it needs to be done because it's a clear something we lack.

4. We don't have too many pacy guys on our list and as said above, I'd like us to grab Jarrod Pickett, he's so exciting and quick.

Quote from: Vinny on June 15, 2014, 08:43:58 AM
I know he isn't a freak small forward but would you guys be interested in Garlett?

He is only 24, what would you offer?
Personally wouldn't want him, all I see is him being another Nahas.

Newy and Push-Up should retire.

Az is so handy for us, but come next year with another pre-season in Beatle, we won't need him.

Orren probably needs to go too, he's purely insurance but he's been sensational for the VFL team (get him of our list but let him continue to play for the VFL side).

Foley has the smallest bit of currency and should be used as such even though he's been good lately.

Get rid of Elton and trade Vickery to somebody... anybody. Persist with McBean and Griffiths and recruit another player from this year's draft to keep the stocks decent.

I love how Shaun Grigg can accumulate, but that's it. For that reason, get rid of him. Batchelor wasn't bad on the weekend, but I prefer Dea. A few clubs could potentially use somebody like Batch though.

Titch is an interesting one, being out on contract he'd probably be somebody I'd say we should move on but if he had another year on his contract I'd let him try and fight for his spot. We need to replace him with similar player, just with better ability, if possible.

Not sure all of that's going to be addressed this off-season, but I'd like to see Dimma at least do half of that at the very least.

nickstiges

Terry Wallace & Mark Robinson both seemed to think that we're going after Jeremy Cameron with our cap space on SEN before the game yesterday.

I personally wouldn't mind if we went after Luke Parker, Nat Fyfe (probably no chance though) or Dylan Shiel.

TigerImp

Quote from: nickstiges on June 15, 2014, 12:23:02 PM
Terry Wallace & Mark Robinson both seemed to think that we're going after Jeremy Cameron with our cap space on SEN before the game yesterday.

I personally wouldn't mind if we went after Luke Parker, Nat Fyfe (probably no chance though) or Dylan Shiel.
Cameron great Fyfe nice
get it done rfc

quinny88

Yeah Cameron would be a huge get. Wouldn't mind that at all

Mailman the 2nd

A lot of the guys you're all mentioning are already contracted past 2015

quinny88

What about Tom Mitchell? Can't get a game at Sydney

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: quinny88 on June 15, 2014, 02:47:51 PM

Again he's a guy who's already contracted past 2015, you'd have to give a pretty high draft pick for that to happen

Vinny

When's Cameron contracted until?

Mailman the 2nd

kilbluff1985

Quote from: quinny88 on June 15, 2014, 02:47:51 PM

Has a bad ankle currently but yeah he couldn't get a game even before it

Vinny

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Vinny on June 15, 2014, 04:47:02 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 15, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
Quote from: Vinny on June 15, 2014, 04:20:52 PM
When's Cameron contracted until?

End of this year
Please come to Carlton Cameron or Patton!

You have to remember also that GWS were planning on giving Franklin close to a million a year (or over i cant remember)

They used about 500k on Mumford and Lamb but they still have a lot of money to protect Cameron from leaving.

Patton probably not

Vinny

Yeah good point, I'd prefer Cameron over Patton but I'd be fine with Patton. Hope he doesn't get injured though.

Wouldn't wanna overpay for him.