Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 16, 2015, 05:59:26 PM
Bit of talk going around that we are in the race for Prestia from GC

Some supporters treating it as gospel but seems to be based on nothing more than the fact that he supported the dees as a kid

That and the 'my family friend went to school with someone in Dion's year level and he thinks it's a done deal' type of bullshower

Yeah I was reading that last week. Pure rumours, but even still, it got me ridiculously giddy.

I remember when Prestia was drafted (even before then), that he and his family were religiously melbourne supporters, so that much I can say is true.

Barra13

Well, if there is ever a time that he wants out it would be now.

Big Mac

Hunt just about secured another contract with his 4 goal performance in the VFL today

Casey Scorpions 3.4.22 7.7.49 11.13.69 15.15.105

Northern Blues 1.2.8 4.3.27 5.3.33 9.4.58

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hunt 4 Jamar 3 Spencer 2 Byrnes Grimes M Jones King Michie Rutherford

Northern Blues Johnson Johnston Jaksch 2 Dirago Murray Watson

Best

Casey Scorpions Jamar Grimes McKenzie Hunt Hutchins Panozza

Northern Blues Jones Roberts Ballard Johnston Armitage Whiley

Purple 77

So in Hunt's only 3 VFL senior games, he has kicked 3, 2 and 4 goals respectively.

Impressive!

Big Mac

How good is Gawn?

Goldy and NicNat possibly the only other rucks in better form

Kicks it like a true big man though  :P

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 19, 2015, 10:33:40 PM
How good is Gawn?

Goldy and NicNat possibly the only other rucks in better form

Kicks it like a true big man though  :P

I was particularly impressed with his second half... clunking those marks, and getting those tackles! Would have to agree on current form he is behind only those two.

I also think we don't say this enough, but Daniel Cross is a legend.

Barra13

Dawes was everywhere in the first half marking everything too.

Barra13

STINGING THE BLUES by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions strengthened their claims for a finals berth with a dominant second half leading to a comprehensive 47 point victory over the Northern Blues at Ikon Park on Saturday afternoon.

In cool but calm conditions, the Scorpions opened up strongly with three of the first four goals. The Casey big men were on top in the ruck with Mark Jamar and in front of goal with Jake Spencer booting the first and Max King scoring late in the term to give the team a 14 point lead at the first break.

Casey kept up its dominance with an early second quarter goal to Matt Jones which was met by a swift reply before Jamar, resting up forward, booted another at the six minute mark to restore a 20 point lead. The game lapsed into something of a scramble with lots of stoppages and very few bright passages of play and the visitors let their grip on the game slip when they conceded two goals after time on began. As has often been the case this year, Casey rallied late with goals to Jayden Hunt and a second to Spencer, both after the thirty minute mark and suddenly they were 22 points in front at half time.

The confidence that those two late goals brought to the team was priceless and led by their winning ruck which amassed 71 hit outs between them (Jamar 46, Spencer 25) to give the midfield an armchair ride, the Scorpions swept to a 46 point lead at the final break, with Hunt booting two more for the quarter. Elusive and genuinely quick, Hunt does not get a great deal of the football but what he does with it is particularly damaging.

The experience of Jack Grimes, Jordie McKenzie, Matt Jones and Viv Michie gave Casey the midfield edge whilst Dean Terlich, Evan Panozza and Jack Hutchins were steady in defence in a strong team effort that gave the team a comfortable win.

The victory was handy because it gave the Scorpions a two game buffer inside the top eight, with only one of the six remaining games left to be played against a team outside of that group.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions
3.4.22 7.7.49 11.13.69 15.15.105

Northern Blues 1.2.8 4.3.27 5.3.33 9.4.58

Purple 77

I reckon if Grimes doesn't get selected this week he'll get delisted.

^ My bold prediction for Melbourne this year.

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 20, 2015, 02:08:13 PM

whats happend how does he go from captain and one of the most promising players in the comp to not even getting a gig. Is his injury still hampening him?

Purple 77

Quote from: Holz on July 20, 2015, 02:17:40 PM

whats happend how does he go from captain and one of the most promising players in the comp to not even getting a gig. Is his injury still hampening him?

I guess he got a hand injury which was the reason for his omission last time, but overall no. Tbh I think he's been a little hard done by this year. He's still in contract anyway, so it probably won't happen.

Big Mac

Quote from: Holz on July 20, 2015, 02:17:40 PM

Main thing is probably Lumumba coming in, Salem playing off half back and Jetta + Dunn in terrific form the last two years (compared to where they were). Just no longer a spot for Grimes

Part of it I think too is that he had to drop his playing weight to stop the soft tissue injuries. Seems to have hindered his ability to defend a bit

Barra13

I thought he has been hard done by also. Before the hand injury, he had a nice few games in a row there and did well.

Barra13

FORMER co-captain Jack Trengove has received some positive news about his foot injury, with a scan revealing it is healing well and he is set to move into the next phase of his training program.

Elite performance manager Dave Misson said Trengove was delighted to hear the good news after meeting the surgeon early in the week.

“Jack had a CT scan yesterday (Monday) and a review with his surgeon and both of those were really positive,” he told Dee TV.

“The scan showed that his bone is continuing to heal and the surgeon was very positive about him moving into a running phase of his program over the next few weeks, and then progressing it over the next couple of months.

“Jack’s pretty pleased and we’ll sit down this week and have a look at what his program is structured like. But it’s real positive news for him. He’s a reasonably happy boy this morning.”

Classy young Demon Christian Salem is also set to resume this weekend via the VFL, after being sidelined since round seven, due to a hamstring injury.

“Christian’s due to train tomorrow (Wednesday) and Friday, and then play in the VFL on Sunday,” Misson said.

“He’s completed a reasonably significant rehab and has trained well the last couple of weeks, so we’re looking forward to seeing him out there.”

Powerful forward Dean Kent, who played in the AFL Victoria Development League last weekend â€" his first match since injuring his hamstring in round four against Richmond â€" suffered some tightness and will now be a test.

“He had a little bit of tightness after half an hour of playing,” Misson said.

“He was going to keep playing, but we were pretty conservative in our approach there.

“Scans don’t really show anything significant, so we’re going to treat it clinically and conservatively, and we’ll just see how he looks over the next couple of days. Whether we get him up to play this week or just give him another week â€" we’ll let it settle and [might] look for another couple of weeks’ time.”

Big man Sam Frost (toe) remains sidelined for another five weeks.

“His running is progressing and for a bloke who’s been off his legs for a significant period of time, he’s always going to have a few little niggles, as he starts to run again,” Misson said.

“He’s starting to work through that and he’s getting some decent running sessions in.”

Tall utility Cam Pedersen (wrist) and last year’s No.2 pick in the NAB AFL Draft Christian Petracca (knee), who are out for the rest of the season, continue to work diligently on their rehab programs.

“Pedo’s smashing the running. He’s doing a pre-season in July, so he’s going really well and he sees his surgeon next week to potentially get the wires out of that wrist. Then he’ll be able to start working on increasing the range, the wrist and the strength as well,” Misson said.

“Christian Petracca is working through his rehab running program and he’s doing some faster run throughs and he’ll look to move into some agility work in the next few weeks, so he’s going very well.” 

Purple 77

God, I've missed Salem in the side.

Kent too. To have both of them potentially in 2 weeks time will be great.