Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

Jake Spencer: Jake’s almost our most improved player. He’s been terrific in what he’s been able to do. He’s worked extremely hard on his game and we’ve seen him play some really good AFL footy this year. As long as he continues to improve, with him, Max Gawn and Russian (Mark Jamar), you end up with three good ruckmen.

Billy Stretch: Billy’s a really, really nice, compact player. He’s a great listener and understands the game really well. His listens to the coaches really well and we’ve seen him play some good footy at AFL level already.

Dean Terlich:
Dean’s probably been really inconsistent with his performance. One thing he needs to do is become really consistent at VFL level and knock the door down. He needs to have high quality performances at VFL level week in, week out. We know he can play AFL footy, because we’ve seen it, but he really needs to get back to playing the way we want him to play.

Jimmy Toumpas: I think Jimmy has made some real improvement, particularly over the past month. His games against the Bulldogs, Collingwood and St Kilda were really good. He really works hard on his game. Jimmy loves his footy and we’re starting to see some real improvement in his game.

Jack Trengove: I can’t speak highly enough of Jack. His investment in the footy club for someone that’s been injured for nearly a year and a half is exceptional. He’s just a high quality individual that you love having around your club.

Dom Tyson: Dom’s probably started off a little bit slow, but he’s really starting to show some good signs. I thought his game against Geelong was really positive and his commitment now to defence is really good. He’s getting in and making some tackles â€" and we saw his outstanding kick to Billy Stretch against Geelong â€" so I’m really looking forward to his second half of the season. I think he’s going to have a very, very good back half to the year.

Aaron vandenBerg: Vanders came as a mature-age recruit and none of us knew much about him, other that he could find the ball at NEAFL level. He’s big and strong, and a real contributor and he had a significant impact on the team in the first half of the season.

Bernie Vince: Bernie’s elevated his game. He’s been exceptional in the last month. His ability to play on really good players and shut them down, and get the ball himself, has been fantastic. I haven’t spoken to him about it, but I suspect it’s as good as he’s played in whole career.

Jack Viney: Unfortunately Jack missed a lot of weeks with his leg injury, but he showed against Geelong how much we’ve missed him. His game on Joel Selwood was fantastic. His ability to win a contest, beat an opponent and play on a good opponent â€" and still attract and win the ball has been very good. I’m really looking forward to the final 10 games for Jack.

Jack Watts: I think Wattsy has just had his best three matches of AFL football in a row. He’s really starting to get back to the contest and he’s worked hard on his game with Simon Goodwin and Brendan McCartney. But it’s been the best three weeks I’ve seen him play back-to-back-to-back. He’s using his speed now, when he’s got the ball in his hands, so I’m looking forward to seeing him play the final 10 games of the season.

Mitch White: Mitch is a developing young player. The coaches have been really happy with him. He’s starting to really listen and starting to play on his man off half-back, and he’s starting to really impact contests and starting to play the way we want him to play.

Purple 77

Great stuff barra, was wondering about our contracts.

From those that are out of contract this year:

Want to keep
Colin Garland
Daniel Cross
Max Gawn
Aaron Vandenberg
Jeremy Howe - just.

Neutral about ya
Mark Jamar
Jack Fitzpatrick
Jimmy "look at me! I've shown something!" Toumpas
Cam Pedersen (age was a factor, otherwise in the category above)
Jayden Hunt (keep hearing he has rare natural speed... I suspect another Sam Blease though)
Max King
James Harmes
Matt White

Want out
Jordie McKenzie
Rohan Bail
Aidan Riley (a bit harsh, but why have both of Michie and Riley?)

Purple 77

Wow, bit surprised about Roos on Spencer. Seems like Pencil is in the good books! Roos seems to like our young, first-to-second year players too. Probably coz we acquired them in his tenure. Was also glad to hear his praise on Jack Trengove, which suggests his AFL career perhaps isn't over yet.

But yeah, Terlich is just gone. I still CANNOT believe he got a two year contract last year, amazing.

Barra13

1 thing to remember though is that we do need some depth so the ones I'd like to hold onto from your neutral ones would be;

Fitzpatrick
Toumpas
Pedersen

The rookies, well they are rookies. I'm happy for them to stay. Agree with the rest though.

Big Mac

Seems like they are willing to persist with Hunt, just a gut feel

Apparently McCartney really thinks White could be a player

I really do like Riley and think he would be a great bloke, but a team can only play so many slow inside mids - I can't see us hanging on to him

What do we think about our changes for this week?

Gawn can only play 75-80% ruck time, and the rest of the time he is too tired to even compete around the ground. We will get destroyed if we have to have Dawes in a centre bounce against NicNat. I honestly reckon we have to keep Spencer in the side this week, and if we want to bring in Hogan and Garland, a tall needs to come out. Sorry Dawes

Purple 77

Yeah... "sorry" Dawes  :P

I tend to agree! Naitanui is certainly a handful and Sinclair is handy back-up. I reckon Gawn & Spencer should both play. Garland and Hulk are automatic selections, so it really does look like Dawes will make way.

Barra13

Misson injury interview:
- Newton, Garland & Hogan available.  (Hogan was ok just being conservative with back and hamstring tightness)
- Kent 3 weeks, starts training next week
- Vand 2 weeks, did fast running yesterday
- Salem 3 weeks, they are being cautious with him
- Frost 6 weeks, first run tomorrow. Bursting to get back
- Trengove has next scan July 24 which will determine if he can run
- Petracca. been running for a week, no sign of a limp.

kilbluff1985

any word on Lumumba's foot how bad it is like only a week or 2 or serious?

Big Mac

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 04, 2015, 07:20:40 PM

Just precautionary

Big Mac

Casey had a massive win over Geelong today in the VFL, storming home by 48 points.

Hunt with 3 goals, Newton with 2, Jamar and Mckenzie one each 

Purple 77

Go Hunt!

Little disappointed King didn't bag any.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 04, 2015, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 04, 2015, 07:20:40 PM

Just precautionary

cheers

Big Mac

Essendon are going to be fired up next week

Purple 77

ossie85

Dees should be fired up also, why wouldn't they be?